PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Sunglasses

Skypark
6th Jan 2003, 07:52
Hi folks,

Just wondering what the best way is to go about acquiring some prescription sunglasses. I have a fairly minor script (L -1.5, R -1.25) and wear both contacts and glasses. I am finding I am wearing glasses more and more, so therefore am looking at investing in some prescription sunglasses.

I would prefer normal looking sunglasses, i.e. Raybans instead of the clip-on type. The Raybans I have now are too curvy (sorry, don't have the jargon down pat) and therefore distortion would be too great if prescription lenses were added.

Any ideas on some good brands? To those who wear prescription sunnies, what brands do you use, do you perhaps have a link to the exact model?

Many thanks,
SP

skygazer
6th Jan 2003, 09:00
I've got prescription Ray Bans - not the really curvy ones. Don't have them with me so can't get the model, but will have a look when I get home. I've also got clip on sunglasses for my normal glasses, but they're specific to my frames so don't look out of place.

Iceman49
17th Jan 2003, 13:16
I have the perscription Serengetties which are great. Had to look around to find some one that would do it for a reasonable price.

Skypark
18th Jan 2003, 23:01
Anyone have any more info in terms of brands, and particular models? Or any websites where you can view all the different frames?

SP

fly-half
20th Jan 2003, 14:04
A word of advice - make sure they're not too dark! A colleague of mine got some expensive prescription shades and then realised they are too dark for looking at the instruments when sat in the cockpit! He couldn't see very well and doesn't wear them now when he flies.

flyboy2
17th Feb 2003, 20:18
Hi
The answer for me was getting my optician to make me a
reading portion for the bottom 1/3 , with tinted upper 2/3

snooky
17th Feb 2003, 22:24
I understand that a "Brown 2" tint is the best compromise for aviation.

Hightower
19th Feb 2003, 08:30
SP
Hi there.

I have a pair oakley e-wires that i took to the optometrist for
prescription lenses, and even though they are quite curvy,it
wasn't a problem.

The only hassle iv'e had is that these have faded faster than a previous pair that were mirrored to suit the lenses that were in the frames from new.

Inverted81
19th Feb 2003, 08:43
hi,
ready for the oakley low down?? i'm a pilot and have always used oakleys for flying. They offer a huge range of lens hues (tints). For flying always try and use a neutral Transmission lens i.e. that don't enhance specific parts of the spectrum try Black iridium, or for a bit more enhancement Gold Iridium. Ruby is also good. (i've used all these)

Never guessed i used to sell them eh? Compared to normal "standard" glasses they seem pricey, however, they are the only lenses that when bent/curved do not distort the picture, they are ground from a solid block, as would an optician. Complete UV a b and C protection inherent in the material, NOT THE COATING so if scratched protection will remain. I've got two pairs and have had them for five years and are still going strong!

Oakley offer prescription service, best to get in contact with a dealer. I used to work for the UK's largest Oakley premier dealer have a look at www.countryside.co.uk Your prescription will determine which frames you'll fit. For the range go to www.oakley.com.

Sales pitch or what!!?? and i don't work for them anymore!!!! Must mean something! (no abuse please!!) lol ;)

N.N.C
19th Feb 2003, 13:52
Hello there,

I have been using the Randolph military aviation glasses for years, with prescription glasses.
Much to my pleasure.

Very cheap in the States ( if you don't mind the old fashioned model)

Gin Slinger
19th Feb 2003, 22:47
Q. for UK pilots, can any or all of the cost of prescription sunglasses be written off against tax?

ausdoc
21st Feb 2003, 01:25
Always go for a neutral density tint (one that screens out all parts of the visible spectrum equally). They almost always look grey. A lot has been written about the perceived benefits of various colours of lenses. Most of the recent research has found that coloured lenses reduce the amount of light information reaching the eye, and that any perceived advantage in image brightness or contrast, is negated by the lack of true colour information. An ND 15 tint (lets through 15% of the available light) is usually about right. Most opticians will be able to do prescription lenses for you.

holbrob
17th Mar 2003, 14:29
chrisf,

totally agree i have worn prescription Oakleys now for a few years and will admint they are the clearest lenses i have ever used!!!!! Even when they have finger marks all over them i have no vis probs!!!! The only downside is the price i am on my second pair now after being told that Oakley won't re-glaze old RX frames???? Now at approx £250-300 a time, this isn't exactly cost effective!! I'm going to the states soon where they are much cheaper. I'll get a bog standard pair approx $100 and wear contacts.

maggioneato
18th Mar 2003, 12:22
Not being a poser or very trendy,I just went for a second pair the same frame as the clear pair ,Ray ban tint less 5%, and I am more than happy with them, not that they have been overused,we don't see much of the sun.

Kerosene Kraut
18th Mar 2003, 13:21
For the classic bayonet temples to be worn under your headset you can check:

http://www.watkinsaviation.com/wa/store/catalog/catalog_type.asp?ProductType=Aviator+Sunglasses+Frames+Only