PDA

View Full Version : Did she see a Connie? (PER)

AnsettStar
6th Jan 2003, 04:25
Last Friday (3rd Jan if I recall correctly) my mother came home from the local shopping centre (Midland/Guildford, WA) and told me she'd seen an unusual aircraft and could I tell her what it was? She described it as this:

"an older-style plane with two propeller engines, and a tail with four vertical struts, two big and two small."

She described it as very loud and thought it was a fire-bombing plane of some type. I thought she was talking about a Constellation but wasn't aware of any flying in WA. Is there in fact a Constellation in WA or is it flying through from somewhere else? And will it be coming back? If so, when? I would dearly love to get a look at an aviation icon! :D

In fo would be much appreciated, thanks!

Ansett Star

Islander Jock
6th Jan 2003, 05:38
A carton of Crownies says it was a C2 Greyhound or E2C off the USS Abraham Lincoln. There is currently a pretty big build up of US military around WA at the moment and plenty of aircraft have been going in and out of YPPH.

The picture on this link sounds pretty close to what would have been seen at Perth. www.iss.northgrum.com/products/navy_products/c2/c2.html

mustafagander
6th Jan 2003, 09:03
If that was a description of a connie, contact HARS coz it needs a whole lot of restoration!! :)

I agree with Islander Jock. That's a very good description of an E2C.

gaunty
6th Jan 2003, 10:14
Yup that's it, lotsa COD going on until the arrival today.

Busy resupplying my old 1960's nuclear bunker.

Now lets see 25 cases Johnny Walker, 50 cases Margaret River assorted, 500 cases assorted beer, 2,000 kg beer nuts, .........................:D

slice
7th Jan 2003, 02:24
Saw it fly over. Have seen alot of E2Cs come and go but this had a bulkier fuselage so it must have been a Greyhound.

olderbutyzer
7th Jan 2003, 09:25
Yep, definitely NOT a Connie if it only had 2 donks. Connies have an unmistakeable sound (perhaps not to the uninitiated), with the big Wright radials.

gaunty
7th Jan 2003, 14:21
GreyHound (http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/aircraft/air-c2a.html)

AUD$75,000,000 each sorta puts our defence force in perspective eh.

AnsettStar
9th Jan 2003, 07:50
..on my way home after posting that, cue the classic smack on the forehead "damn Connie's have got *four* engines!" :p Guess it shows how the ol' brain shrivels from non use!

Typically my mother would describe that picture as "a 1930's style" plane! Ha! I've been trying for years to drag her to an airshow and point out the difference between the sound of jets & props (plus older vs newer) but she doesn't get it!

Anyway. Proves I should check my facts before I post! Thanks for the help guys, once again as always great job! :D

AN*

Islander Jock
9th Jan 2003, 09:34
So do I get the Crownies? Oh well it was worth a try so will just settle for another couple of fine reds with Gaunty down at the Old Swan Brewery. :D :D :D

Crash & Burn
9th Jan 2003, 10:28
Just Crownies IJ or Crownies with vodka ????

compressor stall
9th Jan 2003, 10:56
Although next time IJ you will be drinking.....!