PDA

View Full Version : GPS in NT

Ang737
6th Jan 2003, 02:48
Hi All

Just want to throw a question to you all. I am thinking about purchasing a Garmin GPS III Pilot prior to join all of you GA drivers in NT. I was wondering if any of you actually use the GPS unit and do you get many RAIM outages up there

Ang ;)

takeoff1
6th Jan 2003, 03:11
Hi Ang737,

all i can say is get it, i used a GPS many years ago now whilst flying around the NT, and don't listen to what people say, a GPS is a brilliant help in the NT, especially when you are zooming around those bid storms, and being bounced around like a jellybean, the last thing that you need to do is to try and plot your directions on a map, my GPS came in very handy for getting a good idea where i was.

i cant recall what type of GPS i used, but i hear the Garmin is excellent.

Proper navigation is paramount, but hey, a quick glance at a GPS will do you wonders.

The main reason why I got a GPS was to help find those tiny little outback airstrips, programme them in and be on your way. With the countryside as boring as it is in the NT sometimes you could miss what your looking for.

The other benefit od the GPS was also trying to locate those pesky little strips during the NT dry/smoke season...

Good luck, and get yourself one.

Takeoff1

compressor stall
6th Jan 2003, 03:17
I bought a hand held 12 channel Garmin 12 from an outdoors shop back in 99. Used it for 18 months around the NT/Kimberley and never missed a beat. Sure it's not a pilot model, and all positions need to be entered, but that gives you something to do en route.

The advantage of the small hand held variety is you can take it fishing, 4wding or walking easily. Bought some rechargeable batteries for it too...just the cheapies you buy at Woolies or the like. They only gave up the ghost last year.

Yes, the GPS is a godsend in the NT. It should never replace good nav technique (And you should regularly practise without it) but dodging and weaving around tx at 500 feet or below over featureless terrain is much easier with one!

Also finding the altitude for best groundspeed is significantly easier and faster with a GPS.

Be prepared for your chief pilot to toss it in the navbag though on your check....

CS

PLovett
6th Jan 2003, 03:42
Have to agree with everything takeoff 1 and compressor stall have said.

I bought a Garmin Pilot 111 prior to my brief sojurn in the NT and it was worth its weight in gold. The company I was with provided me with a sheet listing all of the coordinates for the bush strips (which I duely marked on my WAC) and then when I needed them, I could enter the data in the GPS (which has heaps of capacity for entering waypoints).

Remember one flight in particular which involved a lot of rain near the destination strip. Basically dodging all over the place looking for patches of sky which weren't as dark as the others whilst keeping one eye on the GPS to ensure that basically still heading in the correct direction. Came out of the rain over the top of the strip. Without the GPS would have involved a long diversion and possibly landing elsewhere waiting for the rain to clear at the destination.

You will be asked to prove that you can fly without one before being let lose on an unsuspecting public and you really need to know the basics. I thought I did and still wound up well off course flying between Groote and Darwin.

The Pilot 111 is a great unit, but be careful when entering aerodrome abreviations. You can wind up trying to travel to some very strange places as the unit has a world-wide data base. Check that the distances and bearings correspond.

Go for it.

Ang737
6th Jan 2003, 03:59
Next question is does anyone know where I can pick up a cheap GPS III Pilot. The cheapest I have seen it for is $1097.50...

Ang;)

TheyCallMeBruce
6th Jan 2003, 06:25
Mate

If your wallet will run to it, then I don't reckon you could go past the Garmin 295. I've had mine a couple of years now, used it extensively in NZ, flying around the mountains where the RAIM is supposed to be 'unreliable' (maybe thats not the right word!) and it has never let me down yet.

The colour mapping and HSI etc are brilliant for situational awareness, and the database is huge. I believe it's extendable with a data-card too.

Haven't tried it in Oz (in the air) yet, but hopefully soon!

Cheers!

B

Mickster
6th Jan 2003, 08:26
G'day Ang

I use a magellan 315 up here (NT) and it has served me well. Costs around $400-$500 and comes with a cig lighter plug and some computing software. You can plan your trip on your computer and then download it if you want.

No need to spend thousands on a GPS (unless you want to :) ).

It's still working like new even after being operated outside its maximums of temp and humidity. Even had water running over it and it still works fine. The battery area is sealed with rubber and the rest must be put together pretty well as I wasn't the most gentle operator at times.

Best to just get into the shop and play. I've never used the stored routes - as your flights generally gets changed so often with ATC, your ops dept and weather.

Good luck

drshmoo
6th Jan 2003, 09:09
I have a Garmin Pilot 111 and it has never failed to get raim ever. Through out the north kimberley and charters through NT never been a problem. They are essential for navigational purposes when the dry season smoke sets in and have to resort to "Kimberley VFR" conditions. I paid $1100 for mine out of YSBK, inculded the cigarrette lighter extension which is a must, cause at night you can keep the back light on the whole time. Also it included an official(**** ****) Garmin carry case. Even when the aircraft has a servicable GPS, i still take my GP3. Never leaves headset bag
It pays to shop around and if you can get someone else to buy in bulk. (mind you the shop where I got my unit, even with 3 units at once offered us $3 off each)
Get one. Happy flying
Shmoo:)

Icarus2001
6th Jan 2003, 19:17
Even the cheapest most basic unit will tell you what you want to know, bearing to the waypoint, groundspeed and ETA. Spending any more for an "aviation" unit or colour screen is in the realm of diminishing returns.

Check this out to see how cheap they can be without inflated importers and retailers mark ups...

http://www.thegpsstore.com

Happy hunting and good luck.

takeoff1
7th Jan 2003, 01:49
Ang737,

hi again,

i maybe able to help you, i havent used mine now for 2 years as im back in sydney and not flying (also a bit hard to get lost on the eastcoast if i ever do go again). I wasn't thinking of selling it as it has served me well, and it will be like losing my left leg, but if i ever need to walk again i can always grow another one.

I will have a look in my old pilot bag tonight and email you with the details of the unit, and see if you are interested.

also, have a look at ebay/sold.com and www.tradingpost.com.au as well, you never know what you could find.

will email you soon

regards

tk1

Ash767
8th Jan 2003, 01:01
Ang737

Why don't you look at SOLD.com. From what I have heard you do pretty well when it comes to buying electronic items on there:D

Ash767

Ang737
8th Jan 2003, 01:07
Nice work Ash. Just a warning to all that if you buy something off sold.com.au and the seller does a runner, kiss the cash good bye they wont help you a bit.

haha thansk Ash.

takeoff1
8th Jan 2003, 01:21
ang737 check your private box

PLovett
8th Jan 2003, 20:57
Ang737

Might like to check this site.

http://www.wadeair.com.au/content/gps.asp

strewth
9th Jan 2003, 12:21
Some one has put up a flyer out side Darwin Flight Standards for a second one in the $700 range. If you want the details I can grab them for you.

Ang737
10th Jan 2003, 01:29
Cheers mate but I bought one of takeoff1...

Wheeler
12th Jan 2003, 23:53
Just a quick question....

Do any of the handheld units have RAIM?

Have heard it said that using a unit with a RAIM warning flashing is like using a VOR with a U/S flag or an ADF without the ident. If you don't have RAIM in your unit, how do you know whether you have a RAIM outage or not? (Looking at the NOTAMS, RAIM outages do appear to be not uncommon.) - would hate to be 100 nm NW of Alice, in ****ty weather using GPS in that case!)

Having used both handheld and approved IFR GPS for a few years now. I would suggest the latter is probably the safer and possibly the legal option. I have experienced a couple of bum readings from the handheld. One where it just missed by about 8nm - dont know why, it was programmed correctly, it just took me to the wrong spot. The other was 200nm out, but that one was fairly obvious being accompanied by a ground speed of 900 kt! In both cases, the unit gave no error messages. The other thing it has done sometimes when it cannot see the satellites too well, is it inverts the map - tells you you are going north when you going south etc - again fairly obvious.

All I would say is that GPS is indeed wonderful but it is not infallible and sometimes the errors are not obvious. A handheld is great - but be careful - always check it with something else. Its well worth getting a GPS en-route endorsement - even for handheld VFR

Ang737
13th Jan 2003, 00:41
Wheelers Quote:

All I would say is that GPS is indeed wonderful but it is not infallible and sometimes the errors are not obvious. A handheld is great - but be careful - always check it with something else. Its well worth getting a GPS en-route endorsement - even for handheld VFR

My Response:

Nothign in aviation is infallible particularly the use of handheld GPS units for Nav. The handheld unit is solely for back up purposes and is by no means regarded as the primary means of navigation. Always back up with radio nav or RNAV systems. The VOR and NDB is a damn sight more reliable than the handhelds. As for RAIM outage notification I am not too sure I would have to check up the manual, however the GPS Pilot III by Garmin has a satellite display window which indicates the number and position of transmittign satellites

Ash767
16th Jan 2003, 23:20
Hi All

I am also looking to buy a Garmin GPS III Pilot second hand as well.

If anyone is considering selling their Pilot III please email me through my private mail box.

Ash767
:)

maksim
18th Jan 2003, 07:55
I am going to get some flying training for conversion OS licence for Aus CPL, and planning to take with me my Pilot III. I have read CAAP 35-1, but would like to hear live experience, are any problems when you wishing to install your own GPS at rented a/c, for example P-28? I dont mean techn, but what may be owner's reaction?