PDA

View Full Version : Turning down CX! HELP

PUDDY
5th Jan 2003, 22:06
I was just wondering what happens if you turn down an initial CX interview. Are you blacklisted or will you get another shot at it??
Thanks for the help!!

shortly
6th Jan 2003, 00:23
It would be determined on your reason for turning down the interview. Compassionate grounds would be understood. Many others would probably not.

hoss
6th Jan 2003, 21:56
I am in a similar situation to puddy,and would be interested in any feedback from the guys/girls over there in CX.

After about 2.5 years of applying to CX,I recieved the call about 18 months ago. At that point in time I was in no position for an interview for two reasons:
1. I was on my first few days of CRJ ground school,and assumed I would be busy for the next month.
2. I had heard of the 49er's and their treatment and the resulting 'recruitment ban' and spoke to a few mates over there to confirm it.
At that point I declined and asked for reconsideration in the future.

A couple of months later,another call this time the interview was to be a day after my check to line,coupled with a recruitment ban and the fact that I was content at the thought of flying a CRJ around Australia. I again declined.

Next thing you know 9/11 happens, AN falls over and the market is flooded with drivers. I was fortunate enough to secure a job with Qantaslink but am now starting to look abroad once again and would like to think that CX is a realistic option.

What are my chances of an interview?

Safe flying, hoss

jumpingdoc
7th Jan 2003, 02:32
I would not turn down an interview. The few who were selected during my interview in July are still waiting for class dates.
You can always procrastinate or turn down the class when time comes.
One thing is sure; there is no shortage of applicants.
Good luck.

hoss
7th Jan 2003, 04:15
Points taken.However,one should not be 'blacklisted' for politely declining an opportunity for an interview in the past.

If it means going to the bottom of the pile again fair enough.

Regards hoss

EMB Bras
7th Jan 2003, 04:30
Jumping doc
I was surprised to read your post.
I know of two pilots, both from Australia, that have had interviews after yours and both got start dates, one in Dec and one at the end of Jan.

Captain White
7th Jan 2003, 06:11
:p
The real question is.....

"Why do yo want to work for such a miserable company with Militaristic Mis-management,Unhappy Pilots and dissention in the ranks ?"

Mates tell me that there are fights in bars and retentive pre-49'rs actually spitting on new joiners in public venues !!!

Is that where you see your carrer heading ???
:confused: :confused: :confused:

hoss
7th Jan 2003, 09:59
Thanks, food for thought.

Regards hoss

joserjetdriver
7th Jan 2003, 14:48
EMB Bras... I was offered FO freighter in North America back in August....no class date....I think maybe those getting classes are SO's??

dogleg
7th Jan 2003, 15:48
From what I can gather, they seem to be interviewing, hiring and starting the S/Os fairly quickly. The direct-entry F/Os (freighter) look like they are waiting at least 6 months for course dates after notification that they were successful. I would imagine this is because the training program for the S/Os and the F/Os are quite a bit different -- i.e. S/Os do groundschool and BAE FLight Training in Australia, while the F/Os do all of their training in HK -- including the line indoc. which may be holding up the process a little.

If anyone knows differently, post away...

joserjetdriver
7th Jan 2003, 18:05
Thts what I have heard....I also think that Cathay is hiring those of us which are currently flying....must be due to the long sit....

Clowndown
7th Jan 2003, 23:49
How would you have any idea who Cathay is hiring? They hire people to be cruise pilots for 2 1/2 years before they even "really" get to touch the airplane. I could sit on my couch for the next two years and still have more experience at flying. I believe if Cathay executes the deal for more freighters in the next two weeks ( I believe I read an article suggesting that they would make a decision soon) you will see your class date come up real quick.

BlueEagle
8th Jan 2003, 00:06
Didn't realise that CX hired Cruise Pilots, knew Eva did.

Anyone out there confirm/deny?

Cheers, BE.

jumpingdoc
8th Jan 2003, 01:58
Actually, Joserjetdriver is one of the people I was referring to.

Joser, we traveled on the same AC for the interview. Now you know who this is.

shortly
8th Jan 2003, 02:35
No BE CX do not employ 'cruise pilots' it was just a throw away line I think - little shot at the company.

Saturn
8th Jan 2003, 03:58
Clowndown-The pending order for additional freighters at Cathay may be for the Air Hong Kong/DHL deal and not Cathay Cargo. These will be two seperate enitites I believe. Unless of course you have read something I have not seen which would be a nice surprise. If you have said article, would you please post or forward. Thank you kindly.

jtr
8th Jan 2003, 15:09
Blue Eagle

Call them what you want. CX may or may not employ "cruise pilots"

What they do employ is S/O's who may not be at the controls during the take off, climb, descent or landing phase.

The only bit left is the cruise.

Shortly, what the hell else can you call them?

joserjetdriver
8th Jan 2003, 15:32
Clowndown....

except for myself, i don't know who Cathay is hiring, I am 37, 7800 hrs, some 5100 hrs large jet, (MD-83, 757,767, 737 and F100), atp, 4 year degree. I was hired as a Direct entry FO in North America....I am currently talking to PARC about a contract on the 767....I do believe that CX is hiring those that are presently flying, in other words if you are layed off, working at McDonalds you may have a tough time....

Clowndown
8th Jan 2003, 18:11
Ironically the Press release is on the Cathay Website today. You are correct it is for the Air Hong Kong outfit. Oh well...apply to Air Hong Kong then I guess.. Hey Joser..let me see...37 a lot of MD-80, 757, F100!, I am not a detective but you do live in philly...hmmmm...US Airways? Still there? I have a bunch of friends who went over there in 1998-1999. You used to be my carrier of choice when I grew up in ABE (Like I had a choice out of ABE).

shortly
8th Jan 2003, 23:50
What the hell, I would call them Second Officers. Young, mostly, aircrew on the learning curve. Without the experience, mostly, to be hired as direct entry First Officers. My understanding of the term 'cruise pilots' is obviously very different to yours. I would respectfully suggest you think a little more laterally.

joserjetdriver
9th Jan 2003, 04:01
clowndown.... actually md-83 and 757/767 at avianca and 737/f-100 with us airways....

Clowndown
9th Jan 2003, 23:19
Are you still at US Airways? If not, who are you flying for now? I only ask because I have recently been furloughed and thought you might be working for someone "good" in the local area.

Cpt. Underpants
10th Jan 2003, 00:15
Wouldn't it be better if you two lovebirds PM'd eachother?

vmoandco
10th Jan 2003, 08:24
I could sit on my couch for the next two years and still have more experience at flying.

Correct me if I am wrong but a second officer, except for take off and landing, has the same job as a first officer and I suppose you get to practice those in the sim.

jtr
10th Jan 2003, 13:31
vmo, at CX an S/O's roster will typically consist of 2-4 (4-8 sectors)trips per month. Spending 5-8 hours in the cruise, either carrying out RT, or "flying" (two step climbs in a stint is busy!) Sim wise, one could expect 4-6 sims a year (sometimes more, depending on training levels) In those sims one might perform 4-6 manual approach and landings (for the year)

An F/O can vary dependent on fleet, anything from 6 sectors per month, up to 30+, of which you will operate "fly" roughly half. Sim wise, much the same as an S/O.

Your statement...Correct me if I am wrong but a second officer, except for take off and landing, has the same job as a first officer and I suppose you get to practice those in the sim

is much like one saying...Correct me if I am wrong but a first officer, except for LWMO, has the same job as a captain and I suppose you get to practice that in the conversion

Shortly , I am not sure what you think is derogatory about the term "Cruise Pilot", and why it is a cheap shot at CX.
Cruise Pilot/Second Officer
Commander/Captain
Tomato/Tomatoe