PDA

View Full Version : BA Crisis Operations

BBriscoe
5th Jan 2003, 21:50
Can anyone give me details on BA's crisis operations, for instance when an accident/incident happens involving one of their aircraft.

Do they set up a crisis centre?

What type of staff would be in the crisis centre?

Where would they set it up?

For what type of incidents/accidents do they set one up?

Do they practice setting up the crisis centres at all? I know hospitals in the UK practice what they call 'Major Incidents'.

Thanx in advance!

rupetime
6th Jan 2003, 08:32
As of a few years ago BA operated a centre at Heathrow called EPIC - its underground somewhere in Heathrow and has all the computers, phones, faxes, emails etc to be up and running within a very short amount of time. I believe its manned by BA managers who are all on a duty list to be called up in the event of any accident/incident.

The centre also earns its keep by being "rented" out to other airlines and operators of public transport services to cover them incase of incident / accident, these companies pay a retainer to BA for its use if/when needed.

I had a tour some time a go and its a chilling place but quite obviously well set up to deal with relatives and media enquiries !

rt

Lou Scannon
6th Jan 2003, 14:33
May I ask why you are making an enquiry about the BA crisis centre?

peeteechase
6th Jan 2003, 15:12
Yeah,
this sort of info is highly classified after 9-11

Why do you want to know and should we send the SAS round?

TIC, PTC

parajump
6th Jan 2003, 15:19
I worked in both the EPIC and OPIC centres since their move from the old underground centre. But the general set up remains the same just a little more plush. Exercises are run on regular basis for managment then twice a year for the teams who would man the phones etc.

BBriscoe
6th Jan 2003, 21:15
I'm just curious, as I'm just interested to know how airlines cope with a large scale emergency.

I wanted to know specifically about BA, as it is the airline that I use most frequently.

Could someone explain why location and operation of a crisis centre is anymore classified than the location and operation of the control tower??

faq
7th Jan 2003, 10:01
In case you are a terrorist sat with a mobile computer in a tent in Yemen planning your next crime...?

Human Factor
9th Jan 2003, 22:22
"As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions."

rupetime
10th Jan 2003, 09:27
Its a centre for use after an accident or incident - not exactly
a top secret site on a terrorist wish list as its empty most of the time.

lighten up guys - your starting to get scared of your own shadow.

rt

Snoop
10th Jan 2003, 10:14
unless you are really evil and want to make a very big point.

Hand Solo
10th Jan 2003, 12:32
BAs crisis centre is located in Queens Building and is known as the CAT lounge. It is activated in the event of bad weather, single runway ops or other major disruption. It is packed with eager crews, prepared to go anywhere at just 40 to 50 minutes notice. Highly trained staff are on hand to offer comfort and 'egg and chips with a cup of tea' to all involved. They are trained to handle the full range of emotions which participants in this sort of event may experience. These include confusion, despair, anger (often at the loss of a GVA nightstop) or even euphoria (an unexpected CAT payment).