PDA

View Full Version : 9th September 1962

ID90
5th Jan 2003, 21:24
Saw a memorial in a midlands (UK) churchyard to 3 chaps killed in an air crash on 9/9/62. No details on the memorial except for names and ages - no mention of any military rank so presume they were civilians. Curiosity has taken over...anyone know of a crash (presumably in the UK) on this date?

etsd0001
5th Jan 2003, 22:37
Can you be any more precise on the location?

ID90
6th Jan 2003, 18:39
Yes, but I don't think it can help.
The location of the memorial is Witton , Birmingham. But Witton is the poor chaps final resting place, rather than the location of the crash..

sabredog
9th Jan 2003, 16:29
ID90. Would hope to have some information on the above
shortly.

tony draper
9th Jan 2003, 16:49
Try this,

http://aviation-safety.net/database/1962/1962-acc.html

ID90
9th Jan 2003, 18:55
Thanks to both Tony and Sabredog for your response.
I looked at the site Tony, but nothing is listed for that date - very sobering reading though - there seems to be a huge number of accidents on those lists for the early 1960s, especially considering the list only contains 'airliner' size accidents...
Sabredog - Please note the date was 9 September 62 rather than the 2nd. After looking at the very comprehensive list suggested by Tony, it would appear that this accident was either a G/A or 'small' (i.e. not airliner size) military crash.
I look forward to reading more...

tony draper
9th Jan 2003, 19:29
Sorry ID90, I used Google advanced search, I just typed Air Accident on the first line, and the date on the second, google came up with quite a few pages and sites but I didnt have time to look properly as I had to go out, might be worth your while trying that on Google.
Good luck

Aerohack
9th Jan 2003, 20:34
There were no RAF losses recorded on or near that date, nor any civilian transport category aircraft accident in the UK. An admittedly cursory trawl turned up only one civilian crash in the UK that day, Auster V G-AKOT near Great Yarmouth, and there's no indication that it was fatal. Puzzling.

ID90
9th Jan 2003, 21:41
Hi Aerohack,
Many thanks for that - where did you look to find the info on the Auster?

sabredog
10th Jan 2003, 15:44
G-ATOK ( Auster V) was, in fact, a fatal accident. The aircraft spun in off a steep turn and the pilot and three(?)passengers were killed. This may well be the incident you were looking for. The accident occurred at Gorleston, Norfolk, and aircraft was on a pleasure flight. Departure airfield was not named in the AIB accident card.
Hope this will be of some use to you.
Regards.

Aerohack
10th Jan 2003, 18:31
Sabredog: yes, it does seem likely that 'AKOT was the aircraft. My source simply recorded it as destroyed in a crash, rather than a fatal crash, which put me off the scent. One might suppose that the three victims commemorated by the Midlands memorial were holidaying in Norfolk and took what turned out to be a fatal pleasure trip. Local newspaper archives in the area where the memorial is sited, or around Great Yarmouth, would probably confirm.

ID90
10th Jan 2003, 18:36
Hi Sabredog,
Looks like you have cracked it..
If that's the one, it sounds like it could have been a holiday adventure that went horribly wrong - 3 young men (oldest was 24 if I remember correctly) killed on a pleasure flight near Great Yarmouth and laid to rest in Birmingham..
Very sad indeed.
Thanks to all who helped - anyone have any more information?

Aerohack,
Great minds think alike - but you beat me to it by 5 mins!

sabredog
10th Jan 2003, 18:48
Thank you, ID90, it is a pleasure.
I shall endeavour to pursue this tragic matter further. As Aerohack suggests , local newspaper archives may be able to help. I presume that a great many of the old East Anglian newspapers have gone since the sixties, and their successors may not have kept records. Will keep everyone posted.
Best regards.
sabredog

sabredog
13th Jan 2003, 09:40
Greetings, ID90 and AEROHACK,
Still digging for the relevant newspaper reports, but most are now retained in the Norfolk Central Library. Have requested information from them, and now await reply. I have been able to obtain a photograph of Auster V G-AKOT (TJ433) but I am not able to download to this thread( lack of IT skills), but can transmit by email.
Regards,
sabredog.

Mr_Grubby
15th Jan 2003, 11:28
Maybe this is the wrong Forum, but,

Following on from sabredogs admission to a lack of IT skills, I too am deficient in this department (well we did train together !)

Can somebody explain how to post a pic on PPRuNe ?

Thanks,
MR G
and on behalf of sabredog.
:)

newswatcher
15th Jan 2003, 11:51
Mr_Grubby/Sabredog,

Let us assume that your "picture" has an exclusive URL reference, that is, it is not buried in a page of text. It may have the three letter suffix ".jpg" or "gif". If you haven't sussed it yet, if you "right-click" your mouse, with it positioned over the picture, then select properties, this will give you the "exclusive" URL reference for the picture.

Cut and paste this URL reference into your message. At the beginning of the URL reference put "" and at the end put "", without the quotes! This should do the biz.

sabredog
15th Jan 2003, 16:10
ID90 and Aerohack,
I hope the following information will confirm our previous posts;
Pilot.Roger Byran Healey. Paxs. Anthony Martin, John Charles Champion and John Frederick Crump.
Sabredog

sabredog
15th Jan 2003, 18:13
Newswatcher,
Thank you for the instructions regarding the transfer of photographs. I shall set forth and try, although with some trepidation!
Regards, Sabredog

Newswatcher, is this correct?
imgMk5G-akot.jpg/img.
Sabredog

PaperTiger
15th Jan 2003, 19:03
See image thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=77816) on the computer forum.
Easiest way is to just click the 'IMG' button on the reply page and follow the prompts.

sabredog
15th Jan 2003, 20:12
Thank you,PaperTiger, I hope this works,if it does not, then it is back to quill pen and sand!!
MK5G-akot.JPG
Sabredog

ID90
15th Jan 2003, 21:13
Hi Sabredog - Yes, those pax names are the ones on the memorial. Again, many thanks to you and aerohack for answering my question.

Aerohack
15th Jan 2003, 22:09
Nice bit of detective work by all, but sad that the subject should have been the loss of four lives on what started out as a fun trip.

newswatcher
16th Jan 2003, 07:48
sabredog, if I show the correct syntax, you wont see it, because it will be "activated". Hope you have followed the PaperTiger route. If not, you must add the brackets to your string, I said only to remove the apostrophees.

Good luck

sabredog
16th Jan 2003, 18:05
Thank you newswatcher. This will be my third and last attempt. I cannot afford the humiliation of another public failure!!
Regards, Sabredog.
http://Mk5G-akot.jpg

PaperTiger
16th Jan 2003, 22:34
A URL of 'http://www.pprune.org/forums/Mk5G-akot.jpg' (which is what your image has) signifies that the image resides on the pprune server. It does not and can not, you must upload it somewhere else.
Then the URL will be 'http://www.somewhere.else/Mk5G-akot.jpg' which can then be put inside the IMG tags here.

sabredog
17th Jan 2003, 12:20
PaperTiger, newswatcher et all, thank you for the erudite advise and your patience in this saga. It would appear that I do not have, or cannot find, the "somewhere.else" element. I believe it would be far easier to rebuild G-AKOT than to display it on the thread! We should now leave matters as they are, before I am arrested by the Tech.Police for gross ineptitude.
As a small postscript to this melancholy story, the cost of the pleasure flight was 15 shillings(75P).
Sabredog.

newswatcher
17th Jan 2003, 12:56
Sabredog, Nil desparandum!

If you have access to the Internet, you probably have an account with an ISP. If so, they may initially have offered you something called "web pages" or "web space", at which time you may have thought - "what the hell is that!".

Now, I am not a great Internet user, but I believe you should be able to use these web pages to hold information which you wish to share over the internet, such as your photos. My ISP (Onetel) has a simple process for setting this up, providing I have an FTP program - they suggest "cute FTP". After initialising your space, you may "ftp" files into it. Warning - these files are accessible to everyone, so don't go putting anything there you don't want people to see, e.g. pictures of Mrs Sabredog on holiday! But then again you might just want to do that!!!! Depending on the security structure of your ISP, these pages are open to "attack" from cyberhooligans, who may think it funny to change what you thought you had left there, so always a good idea to check with your ISP on their responsibility in this area, and also to check regularly to ensure nothing has changed!

I'd say - "Go for it!"

Mr_Grubby
17th Jan 2003, 16:48
SABREDOG AND MR GRUBBY HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!

Here we go then!!!

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/Mk5G-akot.jpg

I hope it works?

:) :) :)

Right, now the truth.

Sadly expecting my dad to upload an image via a ftp transfer is starting to push the limits.

In the last 6 months he has not only managed to grasp the internet, he has done more Mp3's than I have managed in my 22 years (so far!!). This I'm amazed by.

It is with that in mind that when I read the post from 'newswatcher' I realised I might have to help.

CuteFtp now running, will upload any images he may need!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Simon, (son of Mr Grubby)

sabredog
17th Jan 2003, 17:00
Simon and Mr. Grubby, many thanks indeed.
My humiliation is now complete,and I shall do the honourable thing by falling upon my sword.
Best Regards, Sabredog.

sabredog
30th Jan 2003, 18:08
ID90.
Would you please contact me regarding the above incident.
Regards,
Sabredog