PDA

View Full Version : Cubana.....help!!!

mr.777
5th Jan 2003, 15:34
Off to Cuba on 12Apr for 2 weeks in the sun with the missus.......only problem being that we are flying with Cubana (as she was to tight to pay the extra £150 to fly AF or IB instead!!).
Anyway....do any of the regular readers know if theres any chance of us getting an upgrade to make this experience slightly nore bearable.We are both industry staff(VS),so if anyone knows who speak to etc. would be eternally grateful!!
And yes,I am WELL aware of their safety record.....lets agree to not mention it again!!!
Cheers,
mr.777 (wishing he was going on a 777!) :confused:

Cathar
5th Jan 2003, 17:46
So far as I am aware the Cubana flights from Gatwick are usually operated by a French airline (AOM?) under a wet lease. Cubana's safety record is therefore not relevant and there is no need to worry on that account.

Sharjah Night Shift
5th Jan 2003, 18:18
I flew on one of the AOM DC10s back in 95 when Cubana operated out of Stansted.

Service in economy was average but the seat configuration was 3-4-3 and therefore rather cramped. I would rather have gone on an IL62 with a fuel stop at Gander.

Boss Raptor
5th Jan 2003, 20:40
The aircraft are operated by AOM on paper only to avoid US sanctions - you will find aircraft have full Cuban flight deck and cabin crew...the service is basic but friendly, I have been on Cubana many times and it has always been a fantastic trip...talk to the crew thay are usually lovely...

Any more comment as to my knowledge/involvement with Cubana would purger myself :D

Cathar
6th Jan 2003, 18:04
:confused:
The aircraft are operated by AOM on paper only to avoid US sanctions - you will find aircraft have full Cuban flight deck and cabin crew

I understand that these aircraft are operated under AOM's AOC to AOM's manuals and procedures and under the supervision of the French DGAC. I think that this is a little more than being operated by AOM on paper only. I accept that the crew are Cuban but that is not relevant in determining who is the operator.

eastern wiseguy
9th Jan 2003, 21:44
Upgrades on Cubana are possible ..by PAYING $250 dollars at the check-in in Havana.Cash only no credit cards. I am also in the business and was told that this was the only way.When we arrived in Havana in September for the return flight to LGW I was determined to upgrade as sitting on a broken seat for over ten hours (like the outbound leg)was not an enticing prospect.There was a hurricane in progress and all the lines were down so there was no access to ATM's and as we "ONLY" had $300 the staff at the desk were "unable" to help.On boarding we noticed cash changing hands between the CC and "cuban" pax who were then whisked forward to ..actually can't recall what it was called ...but the "club" section. At least the seat weren't broke ...but it was darned uncomfortable!!Bring something to entertain yourself as the inflight was grim.....Having said all that though I LOVED HAVANA!! But NOT Cubana ....;)