PDA

View Full Version : Aerolineas de Colombia

spm
5th Jan 2003, 15:16
Hola,

I'm trying to jumpseat from Santo Domingo to Bogota to visit my girlfriend. I work for Windward Islands Airways International in St. Maarten. Does anyone know if Avianca or Aces are strict with their jumpseat procedures.

Thanks for your help,

Stirling

Conchi
12th Jan 2003, 16:18
I don't know about Aces, but Avianca got very strict about it.

spm
12th Jan 2003, 20:01
Gracias por contestar (i hope that's how you say it in spanish):). I actually had the the opportunity to ask some Avianca pilots yesterday and found out that like you said they are very strict. I have another question for you.

I would love the opportunity to fly in Colombia or any spanish speaking country because I want to learn the language. I hold a canadian license and currently fly a twin otter. I know Aces has twin otters but are there any other operators in Colombia that fly them and would consider hiring an expat?

Once again thanks for the reply.

SPM

Conchi
15th Jan 2003, 14:30
spm .... will Americans consider to hire an expa pilot without greencard or citizenship?
I assume you know the answer :o
Neither will no other carrier I am afraid, at least not in Colombia as far as I know. Plus you got to consider the language barrier as well.
You said you have a girlfriend ... consider then to get married, and be legally a resident in the country, then, maybe.

spm
15th Jan 2003, 17:50
I'm currently being sponsored by a company in St. Maarten to fly. I know Canadian pilots flying in Belize, Africa, Bolivia that didn't have permits before they got their jobs. Just because the states won't do it doesn't mean other countries won't. Just thought I'd ask.

ps. why the sour attitude

Conchi
18th Jan 2003, 09:16
I am sorry you misunderstood my point, it was not a matter of a "sour" attitude. I was just trying to be realistic and to tell you that at the moment in a flag carrier (such Avianca) it's quite impossible to get a sponsorship. Actually my husband is not Colombian, and even with maaany years of experience with his national airline, it was a hell for us to go through all the burocracy and all the time spent before he could get a residenship here and therefore the permit to work ... and after for him to learn Spanish (language barrier) and finally the interview ... and after a looong time he finally got it and he flyes for the same carrier I have been working for 18 years.
In my Country the situation @ the moment is bad :( and honestly, believe me, there are so many good pilots without a job :o So I presume, by law, they have to employ national pilots before recruiting from abroad. Maybe is not impossible, but I just wanted to let you know it's very hard, as we had the direct experince
Have a nice day and good luck spm :D

spm
18th Jan 2003, 10:25
Ok I guess I did misunderstand you. And thanks for the more detailes response. I was expecting you get on with Avianca. I was thinking more of smaller companies in Colombia. But it sounds like the aviation industry there is similar to Canada. Alot of pilots competing for a small number of jobs.

I'm curious to know where your husband was from. What is his first language. And how long it took him to become confortable with spanish after moving to Colombia.

Thank you

Conchi
21st Jan 2003, 21:33
My husband first language is miles away from spanish and it took him a good year of hard studing to get 100% familiar with it.
Chao