PDA

View Full Version : Street Kids save pilot from wreck

Gunship
5th Jan 2003, 14:10
IOL (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=13&art_id=ct20030104202100135P4526207&set_id=1)

A light plane flying a banner advertising the start of the Cape to Rio yacht race crashed on Green Point Common on Saturday.

The red and white single-engined Piper Pawnee had been flying over the city when its engine apparently cut out, forcing the pilot to attempt a crash landing on a field. But the plane slammed into a row of wooden poles and two street kids pulled the seriously injured 45-year-old pilot from the mangled wreck.

Kobus Odendaal and Mornay Solomons, who live on the streets, were walking past Hamilton's Rugby Club about 3.30pm when the plane crashed a few hundred metres from Green Point stadium where thousands of Cape minstrels were taking part in their annual championships.

"The plane had been circling above the city and then it cut out above us and crashed into the ground," Solomons said.

The teenagers rushed to pull the pilot from the wreckage.

"The pilot was lying half out of the cockpit and moaning, with blood coming from his mouth," Odendaal said, pointing to blood stains on his clothing.

Solomons said fuel was leaking from the wreckage. "It even got on my shoe. So we got the pilot out of there as quick as possible because we were worried the plane was going to explode."

The pilot was taken to the Christiaan Barnard Memorial Hospital where his condition was described as serious.

I saw the wreckage on the TV News last night and also the photo's in the newspaper - this guy nearly made a great job of things that went wrong, but unfortunately those poles where in the way ... he is very lucky to be alive - the cropsprayer is a total wreck. The wind was terrible yesterday (black South Easter for those that know it ...

break dancer
9th Jan 2003, 05:08
Better than that Russian crew in Kinshasha a few years ago that ploughed into the market. Have any survived the jail experiences, or did all 3 that lived through the accident commit suicide in jail??

Gunship
9th Jan 2003, 21:45
If anybody might have seen the pictures of the crash ... I am sure you will agree that, that was one helluva lucky escape !

The pilot was showed in Newspapers smiling - so he is ok. I think it was on Monday when I left SA?

Cheers,

the wizard of auz
10th Jan 2003, 06:28
Lucky they found him........they were only looking for the tape deck!.:D ;)