PDA

View Full Version : Radio jammers move to Luton

A and C
5th Jan 2003, 10:29
I,m told that the electronic warfare division of Marconi is moving its R & D headquaters to a new business park about a mile from the end of runway 08 at Luton.

I cant help thinking that reserch into electronic jamming should not be taking place only a mile off the end of an ILS runway , I know that this work is done by responsable people and that it is in there security interest to keep the signals inside the building but reserch is all about finding out what happens and some times you get results that you dont expect. I think that this site is just a bit to near to a safety critical system.

FlapsOne
5th Jan 2003, 12:30
A and C

Don't worry!

I did 7 years in the RAF flying from RAF Wyton where we had a full EW jamming set up including test and research facilities less than 400 yards from the runway. Never once a problem.

Big Kahuna Burger
5th Jan 2003, 12:52
That could of course be read either way....!

AlanM
5th Jan 2003, 16:42
Seems like a Great VMC day IS the time to do it!

chiglet
5th Jan 2003, 16:48
Ferranti built the "Bloodhound" SAM 400yds from the 24 threshold at Manch in the '60s.
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

mad_jock
6th Jan 2003, 19:51
Well a certain laser sight manufacturer in Glasgow uses a calibration range which points straight at the approach for Glasgow.

MJ

misterbonkers
6th Jan 2003, 20:17
interesting thread guys!

Ive got a mate who worked for BAE systems.

They invented a radio signal jammer for use on terrorist bombs, it was very small and portable.

Unfortunately they found it stopped pacemakers! hmm, wonder which world leader they were targetting!