PDA

View Full Version : 2 bmi a321 AOG after separate groundstrikes at BHD

Red 69
5th Jan 2003, 10:28
2 seperate incidents at BHD, one on 4.1.2003 and one today (5th)
De-icer struck starboard horizontal stabiliser causing considerable damage. (G-MIDF)
AmbiLift struck side of G-MIDK today also at BHD grounding that one too.
:eek:

Little Blue
5th Jan 2003, 10:33
And so far, we haven't had to cancel a thing.....somehow !
Wonder what BHD have in store for us tomorrow ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Red 69
5th Jan 2003, 10:36
There'll be nowhere left to park soon!! Still, it beats billboard advertising having 2 321's stuck there!

akerosid
5th Jan 2003, 10:57
Anyone know if/when bmi intends to repaint its A321s into the full new livery, rather than the current hybrid. Have any been repainted already? All the ones I've noticed in DUB have been in hybrid c/s.

Max Angle
5th Jan 2003, 16:43
Anyone know if/when bmi intends to repaint its A321s into the full new livery, rather than the current hybrid
Hopefully never, it's bloody awfull IMHO. At least I only have to look at it during the walkround. No money around for that sort of thing (or anything else for that matter) at the moment so I think you will see the hybrid scheme around for quite a while.

eastern wiseguy
5th Jan 2003, 22:15
Just curious..do Bmi have their own staff handling at BHD or do they pay someone from BHD to run trucks into the aircraft?:eek: :eek:

Red 69
5th Jan 2003, 23:09
Their own engineering/dispatch, but otherwise outside handling. (Fuelling, baggage handling, de-icing etc)

NWSRG
6th Jan 2003, 13:25
How will these a/c be repaired? With no facilities for maintenance at BHD, does someone take a decision as to airworthiness before dispatching the a/c back to base (presumably with flight restrictions). Or can certain repairs be carried out on site?

Norman Goering
6th Jan 2003, 18:51
Spoke to engineers today. Fin repair estimated at around £2.5m!! Hope they've got fully comp and not 3rd party, fire & theft! Will the driver in question have the sum deducted from wages? ;)

eastern wiseguy
6th Jan 2003, 19:33
Little Blue said

Wonder what BHD have in store for us tomorrow ??

Well they had no deiced runway ...no departures until almost 0900 and lots of holding at Magee and diverting....Bmi DO seem to have to come back up the road an awful lot since the move to Ice station Zebr.....sorry City airport.Glad I wasn't hoping to get to LHR for a connection or a meeting that required me to be in London early...ah well...they know best....... perhaps the a320/1's should have snow chains fitted?:D

higher
6th Jan 2003, 20:12
BIG RUBBER BUMPERS MIGHT BE A HELP AS WELL (JUST A THOUGHT):D :D :D :D

wingattack
6th Jan 2003, 20:17
eastern, if you're just trying to get a rise out of someone, ok, you got one. If, however your comments are genuine can I point you towards the bmi timetable, p 31 which gives the first departure ex BHD as 0645?

The runway is plenty long enough. The terminal is a doddle. The cab ride to the city is only 10 minutes. Approaches from the west are at least aligned with the runway and don't have a confusing dissused airfield on short finals. The passengers prefer it - just look at the loads etc,etc............

eastern wiseguy
6th Jan 2003, 20:29
Hi wing...yes all true ...but THIS MORNING ...the runway was iced over and shut ...your serve

wingattack
6th Jan 2003, 20:37
No departures until nearly 0900? still 45 mins before BFS or am I missing something?

eastern wiseguy
6th Jan 2003, 20:40
No Departures ...BFS functioned normally ..ask your first inbound A321 to BHD which diverted in to BFS! All the handy runways and proximity to city centres is no darned use if you are at flight level 80 in the magee hold or in the terminal building when you want to be on the ground in the London TMA .....or am I missing something?:confused:

edited for spelling

higher
6th Jan 2003, 20:43
YEA WING ATTACK YOUR MISSING A LOAD !! HOW MANY 737s OUT OF THE BIG AIRPORT BEFORE 9 MY COUNT IS 11 = OVER 1500 PAX AND ONE OTHER POINT HOW MANY FLIGHTS CAN WE TAKE BETWEEN 2230 AND 6.00 AM ANSWER MORE THAN THE BABY AIRPORT CAN DO IN A WEEK ONE OTHER QUESTION HOW MANY DIV TO WE HAVE TO BHD ENOUGH SAID MY FRIEND !!!!!!!!!!:D :D

BELHold
6th Jan 2003, 21:17
Better get my 2p worth.

A BE DHC8 also diverted to BFS this morning probably because MAGEE resembled BIGGIN and approach times were up to 30 mins for 04......for those of you who have just joined us that is a runway at BHD, not CDG LHR or FRA.

Also AC were being towed to the hold following the De-Icer.

Weather forecast for tomorrow.......more fun and games!

Tower Ranger
6th Jan 2003, 21:26
Ironically the airbus which diverted did so after the runway was open . The first dep was the airbus to Lhr at about 0852 and the first inbound landed at about 0854.
One of the A321`s which got hit at the weekend departed to Egnx at about 13.15 the other one is gonna be there just a little bit longer.
Evening Bel , there were no a/c towed to the hold at the city this morning.

Patrick Bateman
6th Jan 2003, 21:54
Ah well, no change there then...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1672

More of the same to follow I expect, what with the winter and all that. Chin up chaps etc :)

wingattack
6th Jan 2003, 22:03
higher, ok, ok chill out dude! How many of your 73's went to LHR? Seems like if you wanted to get to an airport with some good connections, BHD was still the better bet.

Night hours? Only a major issue for charter flights so we'll use BFS for those. Less of an issue for holiday pax as opposed to Buisnessmen commuting daily who I'm sure prefer BHD.

As for the divs, well yes the harbour is a little more primative wrt landing aids runway de-icing blah blah blah but I know it will be a very welcome sight when 25 & 17 are blocked for what ever reason.

No more to say. Sorry to have strayed off original thread...........!

Prince Of Darkness
6th Jan 2003, 22:31
Wingthingy:

Poor comparisons from someone who is struggling with facts, methinks.

Can't remember the last time I had to divert in my CAT III-equipped jet from the big airport to the wee airport, but I see quite a few coming the other way! Oh, sorry, I can remember ... I've never had to divert there!

Can't remember the last time 25 and 17 were closed at the big airport either! And if they were, there's another airport I can consider in N. Ireland, if I have to; The wee airport isn't the only option.

I can remember a certain Airbus operator using the big airport for a charter programme last summer, day and night. In fact, I hear they were VERY glad of the work.

And anyway, I never forget I have a choice, which is why I prefer NOT to use Heathrow when I travel to/from/through London!

With "facts" like yours, you're wasted in this game......why don't you try for a job as a spin-doctor at 10 Downing Street! :D

Max Angle
7th Jan 2003, 11:54
Blimey, I think everyone is getting a bit hot under the collar here. I drive the Airbus to BHD because that's what the company want me to do, if I can't land there I divert, probably to BFS.

Now if I had my, non-commercial, choice I would go to BFS every time, I have always considered it one of the best equipped airports around. I know the 07 VOR/DME stinks but it's OK unless the weather is right down, other than that you have a nice long runway with CAT3B and a x-wind ILS on the other runway which is a very rare item and has saved the day for me on a couple of occasions when the wind was howling.

CaptAirProx
7th Jan 2003, 12:11
Everything comes at a price.

A handy airport that gets its trouble from time to time. If thats what we have to put up with every so often and in this case, every winter, so what. The passengers still come back. So quit whining over at BFS, if you think your so good there is no need to get so upperty.

I would imagine most people at BHD believe BFS has much better facilities. But in BHD's favour it has the nice terminal, and its location. You can't have everything. Maybe one day it will, then we can all laugh at BFS but until then we both have our places so lets be mature about it boys/girls.

Standard Noise
7th Jan 2003, 13:55
In a way, I'm glad we're only open 16 hrs a day, I can't imagine having to listen to Belhold et al banging on 24/7. God forbid!

The guys at Muckamore think they are soooo professional and obviously think their sheep paddock is far superior to our own little patch of concrete, but why then, do they insist on spreading lies and slagging off the City. Oh yes, and since when did they know better than the travelling public?

Capt Airprox - thank goodness for the voice of reason, how are you old spud? I agree, the facilities at BFS are better (it's not our fault that our management are tightwads), as are the facilities at Coventry, and for an airport which has made big losses over the last 10-15 years, that's saying something.
But hey, I left the protective (and very bitchy) NATS bubble seven years ago so I have come to accept my lot. And guess what, I'm much happier now that I'm out of that loony bin!

TS Hauler
7th Jan 2003, 14:00
Why be mature? I have read with fascination over the years at the immaturity that abounds between the two Belfast Airports.

The BHD guys go on and on about how much the business people prefer the little city centre airport (really an oxymoron) etc etc.

Time to get real - size matters.

1. Airfield performance is paramount

2. Passenger catchment is key.

Discuss.

ANSWERS on a postcard but

1. The most important thing is a nice well lit long (smooth) runway with a decent ILS - CAT3B pref.

2. 1.6m people with no large disposal income - is there any industry left in NI?- no wonder lo-cost in all its guises (Go, Ezy, BE, Bmibaby and even BMI in its Heathlow disguise) has done so well.

Yield counts too but there are loads of suits on the lo-cos.

TSH

Tower Ranger
7th Jan 2003, 15:27
Capt Airprox ,
yeah you got it in one Bfs has all the best toys .

P. O. D
The rwy layout at Bfs covers all the bases , they have loads of tarmac, lots of airspace and lots of top quality kit. At the city you have to make it work with what you got.
Sometimes it aint about having the best toys but how you use them and who comes to play with them.

T S Hauler
There will always be a bit of friendly banter between EGAA and EGAC , over 25% of the active atcos at aldergrove came from the city and 75% of the city staff are ex-Nats so we all know each other pretty well. Our biggest problem on Monday was that for the first two hours we HAD the smoothest rwy anywhere in Britain thanks to some unexpected rain.

Bel, me old china, sorry if two divs put you under pressure , did they make you clean them aswell !!

bobmij
7th Jan 2003, 16:49
Anybody know if there any pics of damaged a/c about. I know BD ops have got some.

CaptAirProx
7th Jan 2003, 19:14
Standard, I'm fine thanks.

Whats all this cobblers with still having to fly towards Bangor before being turned downwind right for 04 at BHD. Are BFS trying to flex their very tiresome muscle yet again? What a pain in the a**e they are.

They should all wear government brown overalls and a clip board and then rant on about their jobs worth. Yawn.

Speak to you in a couple of weeks.......................

Little Blue
7th Jan 2003, 19:49
Bobmij
Yeah, we have a fair few pics in here, and they do not make
for a pretty picture....
Don't know where else you might get hold of any.
Maybe a jaunt to BHD would suffice ?!!;) ;)

eastern wiseguy
7th Jan 2003, 21:31
airprox wrote

Are BFS trying to flex their very tiresome muscle yet again? What a pain in the a**e they are.

Hi from a BFS controller.Puts down clipboard.... The telephone number you require is the SCOTTISH WATCH MANAGER
01292798000 ask for domestic watch manager.He will tell you all about the need for the reorganisation of airspace all over the IRISH SEA caused by London requirements.Please also read your notams and you will see that you were advised early last year that pilots could expect unusual routings arriving in the Belfast TMA from the south east.What previously happened was you were sent up the north or south side of Bravo 3 depending on the runway in use ...now all arrivals are aimed (by scottish) at two points (known to us and not on an airways chart) in the north eastern portion of the TMA.The BFS controller then has to split the traffic into BFS and BHD inbounds ..descend them ...and seperate them from ,for example,outbound crossing BHD 04 and BFS 07 traffic both of which are climbing and crossing you from right to left...keeping up so far? good..now if the Scots happen to leave you high and transfer you late there is little option except to give a routing such as you describe(hands up if you think ANY of this is fun for us!!) Meanwhile I am giving the noisy one a handover as he has only primary contacts on his screen and things may be busy so ...if you think it is done for fun THINK ON
The bigger picture is often not seen by those closest to it.
Oh and don't be offensive ...it's not big and it's not funny ..........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

with alacrity
8th Jan 2003, 12:11
CaptAirProx

An Invitation

If you get an opportunity, as well as phoning the Scottish Watch Manager, phone ATC at BFS and arrange a visit.
You will be made most welcome and be able to see for yourself the difficulties that Easterly operations cause.
It can be simulated if other runways are in use when you visit.
The controllers at BFS work very hard when the 04 versus 07 combination is in use and do their very best to try and make it work effectively.
Aircrew are always welcome in ATC units to discuss problems.

Kestrel_909
8th Jan 2003, 16:38
Let me second that, you will be made most welcome by the BFS ATCOs. I went up one day durring last summer expecting a quick tower of about 30mins aorund it but oh no, how mistaken I was. I was in there for the best part of 2 hours, and they don't just show you things but explain it to you. I had good thorough tour which was most interesting and the guys showed me everything, Then we went downstairs and Martin made us tea and after that thought it was time to leave but oh no, wrong again. He took us over to the fire station and we were shown around that aswell by a fireman and even took us for a drive in one of the Baracuda fire engines, and let us try dirving all three hundred thousand pounds (no not lbs but its value) around for a while. Very good trip and worth it, if I can get a face change soon I'll be back up there again!

CaptAirProx
8th Jan 2003, 17:26
Eastern, many thanks for your informed reply.

I have read the notams before but find it confusing that on somedays when this scenario is in use (04 & 07) that we get vectored on to right base with too much height to lose and lots of TCAS from BFS, yet other times with this in mind we come down earlier to then find as we did the other night that we had to go around the houses creating noise bellow. I understand your probs having been based at BHD, but last night our TCAS showed no other traffic in the Belfast TMA. We wanted a visual right base but were flatly refused by Scottish, then BFS. I thought ohwell, thats cos theres traffic around, how hum. But not according to our screen at 60 miles range.

I still have to say would we been positioned over Bangor with a departure off 04 as I would have thought a confliction could happen?

If I ever get marooned in BFS which is very rare, in fact only been in there in a Cesspit, I will take up your offer. With thanks.

Standard Noise
9th Jan 2003, 09:53
Capt - It appears to have as much to do with traffic levels as to which particular watch is on duty at Muckamore. The majority of those guys are great, but there are a few who, through a slavish following of the book or through lack of interest, just put you over Bangor even when the TMA is devoid of any other flying machines.
As for protecting 04 deps, that's one of the few reasons you will get a "standard noise climbing alt......" type clearance. We don't particularly like it, but hey we're only amateurs, they're the professionals, they know what they're doing!:rolleyes:

Eastern - "meanwhile I am giving the noisy one a handover as he has only primary contacts on his screen" - mmm, yeah and that's all I've had at my two units since I left the National Air Traffic Shambles and guess what? It works quite well if you know how to use it. You obviously don't remember - not on watch yesterday then!

bobmij - check your private messages Re pics

controller friendly
9th Jan 2003, 10:25
Good Morning children.....

Time to put my tuppence worth in!

Standard,eastern was in work yesterday and is again this morning but was too busy being a social butterfly and showing fellow, obviously down trodden, NATS colleagues from the valleys how to have some fun in Belfast.....:p

Alot has been said about people wanting to fly to Heathrow from BHD, sure just look at the loads! But I'd like to point out that WE DON'T HAVE A CHOICE! Has anyone seen the times out of BFS, they're next to useless....I know plently who prefer to use Muckamore International, my local MP for one;)

About Monday morning, I was there providing my best customer service to those who were flying around in circles for over an hour. The Midland skipper just didn't seem to want to know, once he had made his decision to divert, even when there was 1829m of braking action good available for him. I asked him was he sure before he left the hold and we were instructed by midland ops to tell him again when he was downwind......

Having returned from Heathrow myself last night, any truth to the rumour that a fellow passenger was telling anyone who would care to listen that the initial reason that the bd81 did not depart until 1000 yesterday morning was that the runway de-icing equipment broke down? And apparently the skipper of that flight was telling passengers they were waiting for the sun to come up and melt the ice on the runway!?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Time to go and have some breakfast and obviously feel sorry for myself cause I work for NATS and life isn't worth living...........
:D ;) :D

Regards cf

eastern wiseguy
9th Jan 2003, 14:02
Noisy....my point was simply that the radar handover has to be done and as such contributes to the overall workload ...yes I know how to work without ssr...did it for years ....the whole point is that despite your view on the system it is really the Scots who call the tune and whether I like it or not they will still send traffic to the aiming points high and transfer them late :rolleyes: we will then expedite them down as best we can.(cf and I will no doubt discuss this when they come over for a few bee...sorry liaison visit in the next few weeks.Join us!I will even buy you a little Harveys Bristol cream!)
As far as not being given a Visual Approach by Scottish and then Bfs(Capt airprox) I would point out it is not within those units ability to do that ..the only person who can offer a visual approach into BHD is ultimately the CITY controller as he has details on ALL the stuff in the lower levels around his local area. As for would you have been positioned over Bangor and conflictions is also noted ,BUT ,again I have to say that sometimes we are dealt the hand by Scottish with no option other than to play it that way.As an aside I did some checking with higher authorities and it seems that the reorganisation has given the Belfast sector CONSIDERABLY more capacity leading to LESS delays for all users,so something must be working.

Your point about getting height off is noted and perhaps if Fam flights were to be reinstated we could ALL learn about performance and crew/controller needs ...that however is a battle which remains to be fought.

Sensible Garage
9th Jan 2003, 21:39
all in all very informative but the fact remains: the wee airport rules!:D :D

Standard Noise
10th Jan 2003, 08:21
Ah cf, there you are, thought it was a bit quiet.
Believe it or not, my local MP likes to fly from the City, but hey, I suppose we'll just have to call it a draw. Anyway, no one cares what Jeffrey thinks these days.;)

As for the Middy capt deciding to div into your place, well I've never argued with a pilot cos at the end of the day, as an ATCO, I know that he must do what he feels best. As a passenger, I'm glad that a pilot will sometimes go against company wishes if it keeps me from harm. They are professionals, I respect that.

Now, regarding the de-icing story, for the first time in my little City adventure, it wasn't our equipment which was u/s. It was actually the aircraft de-icing trucks which broke down (no doubt something to do with running one of them into the back of a big shiny airbus!!! - blimey, was I getting back to the original topic there, silly me!), but you know how these rumours start.

Eastern - it must be such a pain having to give us handovers, but you should keep an eye on your colleagues, I've had the odd silent handover now and again. Obviously when they're too busy to call me.:D Hear, Hear! on the fam flights!!
Name the date and I may buy you a Strawberry Dacquirie in return.

BTW - I've sorted out the admin diffs, see you on the 23rd, and there may even be an interesting feline being released from the holdall! mmm the soup thickens......

eastern wiseguy
10th Jan 2003, 16:15
Noisy ...neither a pain nor a joy giving handovers ...merely a fact of life.As for the injured A321 .....the replacement bits were delivered by an Airbus Industrie Beluga (into BFS :D :D ) this very afternoon.Despite rumours to the contrary it was not shipped down on "the Airbus"(every 20 minutes from outside the terminal):D

I'm pi$$ed off
11th Jan 2003, 00:13
Sensible Garage:

If "the wee airport ruled OK", then the Beluga would have come direct to there, wouldn't it? :eek:

Oh, sorry, I forgot; 60 year old concrete built on top of a rubbish tip wouldn't be able to support an aeroplane with a reasonable PCN, would it? :rolleyes:

Just as well the big airport was there to bail-out the wee airport... again!!!

Maybe someday you'll get to fly a real jet! :D :D

Toodles!!

Tower Ranger
11th Jan 2003, 20:12
P Doff
The rwy was strong enough for the beluga but none of the parking areas were .

eastern wiseguy
12th Jan 2003, 00:01
Tower ...don't think P'd off mentioned runways!! ergo correct!

faultygoods
12th Jan 2003, 02:05
;) You two have gone off the point some what eh?
DK the a321 position to EMA unpressurised for skin repairs and was back in revenue service 20.00hrs on the 6th.
and as for DF the repairs are being carried out in BHD by an Airbus working Party assisting bmi Engs. also for interest a temporary enclosure ( a big tent ) is being built around the RH stab area next tues or weds.

controller friendly
12th Jan 2003, 09:25
Standard(have to call you that cos I couldn't very well call anyone noisy....!!!:p :p )
I knew I didn't explain very well. I would never question a pilot when it came to the safety of the aircraft, all I was meaning was that we gave him every updated opportunity to change his mind if necessary. You see when I worked at the wee airport and we had holding due to broken down de-icing equipment/ no de-icing equipment or the odd time fog, say an aircraft then decided to divert and then we opened up again en-route, certain controllers wouldn't even pass the message on and let the skipper make his/her mind up.....used to pi.. me off!:mad:
Anyway back to the serious stuff, e-mail me and i'll let you know where the loopy one plans to go on the 23rd. the Scottish thing is the 28th from about 4ish, venue to be decided....:)
Regards
cf

eastern wiseguy
20th Jan 2003, 10:37
some pics![URL=http://www.pbase.com/bent_midland/bent_a321s]http://www.pbase.com/bent_midland/bent_a321s

Tower Ranger
20th Jan 2003, 22:05
Eastern W- good link
The only area the A300ST could have parked at the city is not just 60 year old concrete and who knows what new surfaces will be available this time next year. ERGO-NOMICS