PDA

View Full Version : GA8 Airvan

drshmoo
5th Jan 2003, 09:48
Dear GA(general aviation-not gippsland aeronautics), there are a few of us out there that actually have some time on this aircraft. If you could list some of the pro's and con's of this aircraft, it would be greatly appreciated. This is not a bashing thread ( it will be though), but just to see whether everyone has the same beefs and praises of the aircraft. Very interested cause generally speaking Gippsland Aeronautics haven't been that helpfull. Just for the record I have over 200 hours on them and enjoyed the majority of those hours. Many of my colleagues have not that many happy memories of their airvan (or scarevan). Just want to hear some more opinions on how they could improve it and what peoples general experiences have been on them
People, please limit the responses to those who have actual time on the type, not those who have only read the propoganda in our australian magasines or have a mates mate who flew one. Thanks
Happy flying
The good Dr Shmoo

Vincent Vega
6th Jan 2003, 00:55
Here we go…..

Good:

*Side windows - offer great viewing
*Rear cargo door – good for loading both pax and cargo
*Cargo net - clips into all the floor & ceiling hard points (this is a real winner)
*Avionics/Inst. – quite impressive, especially the GPS & fuel flow meter
*Seat Belts – lap/sash for everyone and pax know how to use them
*Pilot’s harness – very comfy and the inertia reel shoulder straps allow you to move your upper body to check floor mounted circuit breakers, talk to pax etc
*Instrument panel mirror – very simple but a great idea

Bad:

*Windscreen corners - create a lot of distortion which can be a pain when in the circuit (especially turning onto final)
*The little windows above the windscreen – good for nothing except giving you a bad case of sunburn
*Clear windscreen visors – what’s the point? Only useful if you tape your Wx briefing to them and flip them up to counteract the previous point.
*Pilots seat - only adjusts fore and aft. The single biggest flaw with this aeroplane IMHO. Everyone I know over about 5’9” gets a sore backside, most people over 6’ get bad lower back pains as well
*No rudder trim – for a piston single, it is a pretty big aeroplane and it is laborious holding it in balance for hours on end
*“Automatic Fuel Management System” – we had to bend the float arms to try and get a more even burn from the two tanks but it has still proven to be unsuccessful. All our flights depart with a fuel imbalance biased towards the tank that drains the fuel quickest.
*Interior – doing the daily with a Leatherman close by is essential to replace all the self tapping screws that regularly fall out
*Rear tie down point – bends with any reasonable side loading
*Leaky – it always makes me nervous flying it in wet weather and watching water drip down through the overhead circuit breaker panel
*Seat belts – still no “fat strap” extension/solution available to accommodate those more generously proportioned pax
*Sheet metal seats – crack very easily at the corners

That's my two cents worth.

QNIM
6th Jan 2003, 01:01
Only had one flight took off max weight landed
light only thing I remember it was sensitive in
pitch otherwise seemed ok to me. Cheers Q

notlandung
6th Jan 2003, 03:12
Everything Vincent said was true... here are a couple more points...

The aircraft is very light in its handling compared to others of a similiar weight. it doesnt have the satifying 'heavy' feel to it, and in fact seem almost too light in the controls.

I want to re emphasise the uncomfortable factor of the pilot seat... sore backsides and back pains are indeed the norm.. and there is only so much cushion you can put in yourself before your head connects with the ceiling.

During wonderful temperate climates such as Sydney in the spring it would be great, but in 35+ OAT's it serves as a glasshouse with poor air circulation.

On the plus side pax love it (aside from the heat), and approach and landing are very very easy. The large colour moving map GPS is awesome.

All in all, glad i flew it for a while, but not phased if i never fly it again.

notlandung

Screw Jac
6th Jan 2003, 07:17
From what I understand the biggest risk is the Airvan is birdstrike.....

From behind :D :D :D :D :D

And i so advise

On Track
8th Jan 2003, 04:05
Never flown one, or even seen one in the flesh.

But the main criticism I've heard is that there's no rudder trim. Is this correct?

High Altitude
8th Jan 2003, 04:54
The AIRVAN...

Great plane for its purpose. You just wouldn't buy a new 206 now would you???

I enjoyed my little test fly in it... As much as I tried I couldn't ****** up the landing, then you could run as slow as you land it...

I am personally more interested in the Turbine version... 180kts? Great load... cheaper than a van, now i'd like to see that.