View Full Version : HELP HELP HELP!!

liquidhockey
3rd May 2001, 22:06
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY AIRLINES ,ANY!!, WHICH I CAN APPLY FOR THEIR SPONSERED OR PART SPONSERED TRAINING SCHEME AT 17 YRS OLD???
Iv been told i would have to wait til i am 18 til i can start but if i applied at 17 it would take roughly 12 months til i would start the training anyway wouldn't it?
What would my prospects of getting a TOP airline job in my life if i start as early as 18?
cheers very much
Dave

skywaytoheaven
3rd May 2001, 23:55
Whats the hurry? Go and enjoy life before you get involved in the quagmire that is the aviation industry.

liquidhockey
4th May 2001, 02:22
Skywaytoheaven
Im not the type to let things unroll for me. i want to get started on my career asap to give myself the very best chances.
CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Cheers very much
Dave

FLYINGCHICK
4th May 2001, 06:45
I agree with SKYWAYTOHEAVEN enjoy life coz once you get started it's a long road and heaps of hard work so whats another year. Have some fun.

I know your keen though i was the same, so go by your gut feeling, but thats my opinion.

Iz
4th May 2001, 10:52
liquidhockey, I agree with the others here. It might even be a good idea to wait an extra year and build some life experience.

I'm not sure what the CAA regs are but there must be a minimum age at which you can get a commercial licence. Most likely, the minimum age for that airline scheme is based largely on that. So if you're starting a year early, chances are you'd have a 1 year gap in your training, to wait for your commercial licence. Now that's bad for two reasons:
1. Your flying skills will deteriorate
2. If you invested money yourself, you're gonna lose a year's worth of interest

Getting that TOP airline job is not gonna be a problem if you start at 18 (knock on wood).

Good luck!

Lucifer
4th May 2001, 13:07
You still need your A-Levels, so work on them and stop worrying about the job market at the moment. Chill, relax, consider uni if you're academic. Flying is great, but it's not the be all and end all to life: you need other experiences and intersts, and above all maturity-one reason why many airlines have not been taking on many 18 year olds even though they allow them to apply.

RVR800
4th May 2001, 13:35
Concentrate on your education ...

Good A levels etc will improve your chances
and your options ..

CONCENTRATE ON THE BASICS ..

Big White Dog
4th May 2001, 13:46
The minimum age for ATPL issue is 21.

liquidhockey
4th May 2001, 14:10
i agree with you all and i am going to keep on doiung my a-levels until i finish but it is my choice to go straight into the training when i leave college SO ARE THERE ANY AIRLINES AT ALL ANYWHERE THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO APPLY AT 17 (WOULD BE 18 AT THE START OF TRAINING)????
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION???
cheers very much
Dave

Iz
4th May 2001, 15:14
BWD, that's what I thought too, 21, but then again, you also need 1500 hours for that so I don't think that's the issue.

Dave, as Lucifer stated and I (maybe too subtly) said also: Maturity is important.

Enjoy, it's your life. :)

er82
4th May 2001, 15:39
I don't think any airlines will even look at your application if you are 17. I tried it, but was told I was too young. So I opted for the self-sponsored route, and am now at OATS. I'll be finished just after my 19th birthday.

Good Luck in whatever you do. It's tough, but the rewards will be fantastic. And you will definitely be able to enjoy yourself as a 19 year old Pilot for a decent company, with that lovely big pay-cheque whilst everyone else your age is either at Uni (and in debt!) or in some job that won't allow them to go too far!

Get your A-Levels, and as soon as you are 18, send out those letters again!

RVSR
4th May 2001, 16:02
Maybe the airlines like a bit of maturity????

liquidhockey
4th May 2001, 16:31
should i at least try the airlines at 17 because you never know AND in future it looks good that i showed interest in their company at an early age when i come to applying again or if i get my ATPL self sponsered and apply direct for a job it looks good also.
it can only bring good things because iv nothing to lose cos im at college and the worst thing that can happen is that they say no you are too young. However if they say im too young they would note the fact i applied at such a young age for the future. is that right?
Cheers very much
Dave

Iz
4th May 2001, 16:54
Good point.

It holds true if you ask them if you can apply and they say no, you're too young.

But it might be a bad thing if you go there, apply, get an interview and then they say you're too young and they think "this boy needs to become more mature" because that would be a rejection which is negative.

But who knows, we don't know you, maybe you'd ace the interview and tests. At least you're motivated enough.

Go for it!

Big White Dog
4th May 2001, 18:05
My partner first wrote to BA at the age of 10 and got accepted on to their Cadet Scheme at 22 (first 'proper' application)

So it certainly doesn't hurt to try!

You Aint Seen Me. Roit!
5th May 2001, 01:30
Liquidhockey.

I agree that attending the University of Life gives you invaluable experience, but you have obviously made your mind up on what you want and I think you should go for it.

I'm a firm believer that you can achieve anything that you want to achieve in this life, as long as you want it bad enough.

As to who you should apply to.......all of them! I cannot see how a rejection at the age of 17 can be viewed as negative, I admire your determination.

Go for it and good luck.