PDA

View Full Version : OPS Courses & How to stand a chance

Ian_Wannabe
4th Jan 2003, 23:14
Hey,
As a young guy who wants to make it as a pilot, airline or crop sprayer - I don’t care... I'm trying to think of as many ways I can get experience if I don’t get that BA Cadet sponsorship :D

I've always been interested in the operations side of aviation aswell as the piloting for some reason but I don’t really know anything about it.

I read about the training you can pay for (£75) on the UKOMA website and learnt a little more. However I was in the understanding of where you send off your CV to the operator and they train you?

Another thing, what would the chances be of getting the operations job if I went to uni and got a degree in Airline Management and pilot studies?? Would this be any help at all?

Anything else that I should know about Ops jobs/courses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy New Year

Ian

MAN_Dispatcher
5th Jan 2003, 13:47
I'm in a similar position, too.

Although I'm not particularly interested in flying, I would now like to move into the Ops side of things. I'm a Load Controller / Dispatcher for an airline at the moment, but the pay is just so bad that I can't afford to carry on doing this. Whats the best way to prepare yourself for a move into Ops, because I'm sure that no carrier would consider me experienced enough at the moment.

Can any Ops bods share their experiences with us of how they 'got in' to their department? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Ian_Wannabe
6th Jan 2003, 18:40
Hey again,
Please please help us two guys out!

With the ammount of experience on the thread about knowing eachother there must be someone who can shed some light to a newbie?

I got to go solo today for the first time in the UK so I'm hoping I'm on a role and someone will reply to our questions! Please! :p

Thanks

SDeath
6th Jan 2003, 18:55
I started working at OPS Schreiner Northsea Helicopters In Den Helder (Holland) about 10 months ago.
I worked at the Dispatch department first through an employment agency. I just finished my ICT study at college and wanted to work at the Royal Dutch Navy's ATC. Between all my tests were a couple of weeks so I needed work and started working at Schreiner's Dispatch. Where after 2 weeks they saw what I had in me so they asked if I was interrested in working at Operations.
I compared the Navy with Schreiner and came to the decission that Schreiner had a better future for me than the Navy (a chance of becomming a pilot, every child's dream and mine too).
They gave me an internal course of about a week with all the airline/ops officer basics explained (I had no experience what so ever in the airline business). And started working in march 2002.

I'm now at the point that i'm allmost an Ops Officer (now i'm a Ass. Ops Officer), next month.

I'm 21 at the moment (in march 22) so I think I didn't do so bad.

"Don't come to Schreiner for the money." my collegues say but they are a bit older like 15 years minimum.
I like the enviroment it's fun not so formal we have a lot of responsabilities.

In short : I didn't expect to work here, but now I'm there I like it a lot !!!

Edwin Janssen

Rushden Diamond
6th Jan 2003, 18:59
Chaps,

Can only tell you how it is from someone at the sharp end of being made redundant from a well known carrier agood few months back, and I can tell you that there are quite a fair few of us on the scrap heap right now.

I have an hons degree, 5 years ops / crewing experience, and can tell you that every job going right now is fought over just as much as a pilot scholarship.

Many who frequent this forum have one beedy eye over their shoulder at the cuts that seem to fall on ops and crewing departments for the sake of an Intranet co-ordinator or an Auditor of Diddly squat, so maybe thats why you are not getting a great deal of response, a pity really cause I have good mates who came into the industry a bit like you and worked bloody hard in Ops so that they got into the flying lark.

Good luck to you both, but don't expect a lot of favours if this Ops Bod comes up against you at interview (I mean that in the best possible spirit !!)

Dave Diamond

-----------------------------------------------------------------

'''So please don't take my Rushden awaaaay !

PRB44
7th Jan 2003, 01:40
Ian-Wannabe.
Most airlines do not require any specific qualifications for an ops
assistant,and experience is not really necessary,as many
airlines like to mould people into how they work and not retrain
them.Heaps of enthusiasm is a must,and do your homework on
any airline you apply to or get an interview with.Most airlines
send new recruits on the UKOMA course as standard,so it's
doubtful you would benefit from paying for it yourself.Pay to
start with is not great,but promotion can with luck be fairly quick.
Due to rather rapid expansion I believe we will require three or
four assistants to start end of april or start of may,so if you
have no luck until then send me an email and I'll give you details
on how to apply and to whom.
Happy hunting and best of luck.It's a great enviroment to work in.
Oh,and be prepared to work shifts day or night so week-ends
not quaranteed off
TaTa

Ian_Wannabe
7th Jan 2003, 19:16
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the informative replies. PRB44 I'll hold you to that offer, thanks very much :)

Ian

no sig
7th Jan 2003, 19:37
Lads

Read back through the posts on this forum regarding training and courses for Flight Operations Officers/Dispatchers. The CAA, and soon the JAA will require all ops training to be conducted to the ICAO Doc 7192 standard. Its coming and I'd recommend that you consider doing the full course. It a fair chunk of study and it will require dedication, but if you're sure airline ops is what you want to get into, its the place to start. Many airlines will be looking for this level of training in the future.

You splitter
8th Jan 2003, 13:57
The CAA, and soon the JAA will require all ops training to be conducted to the ICAO Doc 7192 standard.

About time too!

Anyone have any idea if ICAO Doc 7192 is avail on line anywhere?
Would be interested to have a quick look.
;)

no sig
8th Jan 2003, 16:53
You Splitter

Don't think so, but have a look over the www.ifalda.org website they have been working on an update of the document.