View Full Version : Those without Performance 'A'

daviesm
3rd May 2001, 17:23
I have noticed that most airlines require perf 'a' for their direct recruitment. For those of us who will not be able to obtain this before June, how will we be able to meet this requirement by the airlines??

Will it be incorporated into the JAR ATPL exams?

Any help much appreciated.

RVR800
3rd May 2001, 17:47
You can do the JAA one as a standalone

My contacts indicate that it is easier

Its really applied principles of flight

The adverts will change to suit in time

Little Fly Girl
3rd May 2001, 17:52
Forgive me for asking a (perhaps) obvious question, but what is Performance A? I don't quite understand.... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

------------------
LFG

Snap
3rd May 2001, 19:06
Daviesm

Dont do Perf A with your other exams. Do Perf E and then A as a stand alone subject. Its BL**DY hard and will have an effect on the other subjects.

I have only ever met 2 people who passes A first time. I did it on the second go but only just. It is a real stinker.

Skyjob
3rd May 2001, 19:14
Sorry to disagree old chap, from my course I recall only 2 or so NOT passing first time and a class average of far over 95%!

paul-g
3rd May 2001, 20:01
Let me mediate in this hot debate over whether the whole class will pass or fail.

Performance A is basically performance charts and their interpretation. Don't be fooled into thinking that the charts you use will be of any practical benefit to you as they tend to relate to old category A aircraft.

Many people fail but I would say about half pass first time. Of course it depends on how you study for it. I did the groundschool at Gatwick with a guy from Bristol Flight Centre. I found the course difficult, failed the mock exam the night before the sitting but then got 84% on the day.

I would recommend this course if it's still running as I needed to pass the exam quickly and it obviously did the trick at the right moment.

I also know a poor soul who sat is so many times the CAA told him he wouldn't get another go after this one. Thankfully he passed.

Snap
3rd May 2001, 21:12
Paul

Agree wholeheartedly. I did AW`s course too and that was the reason I got through.Experience has taught me that along with many other CAA exams its an exercise in learning and has little or no practical application in the real world.

As for most passing first time, I was only speaking from personal experience and it must have been a good course.

Not sure about new exam system but if its like it used to be when you could validate your ticket with Perf E and then do A at a later date I would still do it that way cos
E is simple and A is definatley not so.

daviesm
3rd May 2001, 23:47
would you say that airlines prefer/require perf A, and can you tell me how much this costs?

davere van leatherboot
4th May 2001, 00:30
i would disagree that the the new jar perf A exam is easier.
reasons.

1 very theory orientated
2.real lack of feedback unlike caa perf A
3 around about 60 questions
4.more indepth principles of flight then caa required.

Do the caa.After all when your doinf the practice papers and go into the exam you'll know whats going to be asked.

daviesm
4th May 2001, 01:07
is perf A needed in addition to the JAR ATPL exams, or is it something completely different?

foghorn
4th May 2001, 11:51
Just to clear up soem things for those that were confused:

Under the old CAA ATPL system there were seperate exams for each Performance group. It was common for people planning to be an instructor for a while to do just the Performance E exam with their ATPL's (as it covers training aircraft), and then leave the harder Performance A exam (covering transport types) until just before they got their IR or started applying to the airlines.

Under JAR, there's a single performance exam that you sit with the rest of your ATPL's. As someone has said, it's a mix of chart work and applied principles of flight, whereas the old CAA exam was mainly chart work (I'm told).

So, a person in the JAR system who has all their ATPL's already has Performance A.

daviesm
4th May 2001, 12:42
Thanks a lot. that clears everything up in my mind!!

RVR800
4th May 2001, 13:41
DOES ONE DO

THE OLD
OR THE NEW PERF ?

See this thread...

See Alex Whittingham's post for an
Expert opinion

No offence Davere but you aint no expert
(and neither am I come to that !)

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/008712.html

[This message has been edited by RVR800 (edited 04 May 2001).]

fast cruiser
4th May 2001, 16:21
Perf A is not that bad as long as you prepare for it.

From Memory I think its was based on a Tristar performance, 99% of what was learnt
I never use now!

Its just another hoop to jump through!!

Flysundone
5th May 2001, 00:10
I did Performance "A" using PPSC correspondence course. Didn't do a brush-up course and passed it first time with 90%. It's all about applying yourself and I was 45 years old with a full-time job.

I hear the Bristol Groundschool Course is excellent.