PDA

View Full Version : What good is this error message?

Squawk7777
4th Jan 2003, 02:44
Win98, old crappy 133 "evil-inside" P1, can't afford new laptop right now :(

Computer started acting up around Christmas (I wonder), although nothing was installed. The only regular updates include McAfee and ... no that's it.

Please mighty computer wizards of pprune, tell me what the following message tells you. This increasing bu66eration is starting to really p!ss me off:

<UNKNOWN> caused an exception c0000006H in module <unknown> at 0000:bff86e9c.

:eek: :confused:

7 7 7 7

Ausatco
4th Jan 2003, 03:56
Go to www.microsoft.com

Hover on Support, click Knowledge Base.

In the Search window, type "exception error c0000006H" without the quotes.

Are any of these results useful? (The first one describes your error message almost exactly.)

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I (not difficult!) can take it from here.

Cheers

AA

ratsarrse
8th Jan 2003, 13:36
I would say that a file has been corrupted on your drive. Trouble is, which file? The error handling on MS operating systems is pretty awful, but they are getting better - XP isn't bad at all. In the drive to make everything user friendly and easy to look at, most of the internal workings of the operating system have been successfully hidden. Which is great - millions of people are able to effectively use computers where they might otherwise have not been able to. The problem arises when something goes wrong and it is next to impossible to diagnose the problem...

When does the error occur? Is it when you are trying to run a specific program? You may be able to reinstall it and fix the problem.

Before doing anything though, try running Scandisk and Defrag - they can stop all manner of hard disk related evils.

ck4707
10th Jan 2003, 11:52
suggest you run system file checker from within windows. Copy of how to do it pasted below. You may need your win98 cd-rom if files are corrupt.
Hope it helps.

start System File Checker by clicking Start, pointing to Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to System Tools, and then clicking System Information. In System Information, click Tools, and then click System File Checker.