PDA

View Full Version : west africa

loz
3rd Jan 2003, 12:55
Hi there,

First of all happy new year to all the pprune users and best wishes for 2003.

I know that this question has already been aked several times, sorry then, but I would like to up to date infos if possible >:D
Here is my situation : I'm just a young guy like thousands of others holding a frozen-atpl (JAA), as well qs a FAA CPL ME IR >
not that much experience neither : 400 TT / 100 ME PA 34>
I' ve been looking for a job in EU for a year without positive result >
I decided to walk a step forward and try my luck in Africa>
I intend to book a ticket for early March .
For all I red here on pprune and on some other aviation websites:Libreville,Douala and Kinshasa looks the best options for an unxperienced guy like me . so i would like to know what do experienced pilots, like most of you, think about this tentative...? :cool: or :-(

I know that is not going to be easy , I'm going to prepare my trip to make my best to find my way to take off ...
what do you think about my idea?/ I supposed that plenty of persons on this forum have done the same thing in the past; if so I would appreciate any infos and criticis ... thank you very ;uch in advance .
Is March period the good time to go there (west africa), when is the biggest turnover likely to happen????

Once again, thank you very much and happy landings for all the lucky ones :) ;) :)

Loz;)

AMEX
6th Jan 2003, 10:51
I think you will find that a better period than an other matters only if you go to places where there is some kind of seasonal work.
What I mean is that places with a tourist industry (Zim,Bots,etc..) will lose pilots towards the end or in between seasons (Dec-Feb).
Places where oil, mining etc... provide most of the work, will lose pilots and gain some all year round. Since you have mentioned KIN,LBV and Douala, you will be interested in knowing that those places don't offer much in terms of tourism (to say the least;)).
But the good news is of course that aviation is quite lively (needed) so you could well be lucky.

Also since almost anything is possible in Africa, 400 hours could land you any kind of work. Just a matter of hanging on until it happens.

Good Luck

loz
9th Jan 2003, 10:37
Salut AMEX,

Thanks for your help!!

Any other informations to share on that subject are more than welcome....:)

Loz