PDA

View Full Version : Working in the US of A

power check
3rd Jan 2003, 03:46
Curious... How do you go about getting work as a pilot in the states.
I know you have to sit their exam and do a flight check...and then what?

On the official side Ive been told you need an offer of employment and the employer lobbys INS . This can only be done if there is no one local suitable for the job.
You cant just turn up and start looking.

On the unoficial side.... pilots seem to go there on holiday and the next thing you hear is they are in some fantastic flying job.
I was also told if you go over and do an instructor course ,you can stay there for up to 2 years working.

How can I make the move?, Any ideas or opinions would be great!
Personal experiences would also be greatly appreciared.

Either here or my email, Thanks

Have a great day :)

Sheep Guts
3rd Jan 2003, 04:06
Power Check,
It depends on how much experience. but really you need the magic Green Card, and the only way to get that conveniently is marry one US citizen.

I work in the Carribean at the moment, on a Twotter, we have pilots who were furloughed with American after being on 737-800 now back on Otters in the Carribean. Considring that United will dump 400 Pilots before Xmas, and that since Sept 11 more than 200,000 people have lost their jobs in the aviation sector in this part of the world, I find your chances slim unless you have Shuttle Time.

I dont mean to sound glum, but thats the facts, and it wont turn unless the US economy changes direction, of which it doesnt look promising in the near future.

Remebering now that even unoficial workers, are under more scrutiny than before Sept 11.

Regards
Sheep

mjbow2
4th Jan 2003, 20:17
Power Check.....

If you have at least 1200-1500 hours with at least 100 multi and perhaps some CFI time then you will be in with a chance at some of the regionals. Furloughed Major pilots have by and large got the kiss of death at the moment. There arent a whole lot of regional carriers willing to hire them since they will only go back when recalled.

There are still jobs over here at the regional level and at the Frax operators. The key is to get a recomendation......(the usual story). Still, networking your way into a job is something you will have to do here or there....its just that here there are jobs.

I work for a small regional airline here and have seen aprx 100 pilots hired over the last 6 months....we keep loosing our pilots to the likes of Air Wisconsin, Sky west, ACA, ASA, Net Jets, Comair Etc....The vast majority of our new hires had less than 1000 hours and ALL of them had a recomendation from one of our pilots.

The way I see it, there is only two obstacles...The INS and your own definition of the word SACRIFICE....

A friend of mine came over here on a Tourist Visa......got married, was issued a temporary work permit until the INS interview......just to get a flying job.

If you take this route.....be prepared to say goodby to your life as you know it.......its a big sacrifice, but in my opinion, its worth it........There arent many other places in this world where I could have crossed 1500hours and moved to the left seat of a regional turboprop imeadiately...

good luck......let me know if I can give ya any more info

Windshear
5th Jan 2003, 01:46
U.S.A. / G.A. pilot JOBS this week ...... Windy :D

AMERICAN AVIATION INC. (Part 135 Scenic Tour/Charter Pilots - Page, AZ)
P.O. Box 1943, Page, AZ, 86040
Tel: no calls
Fax: (928) 608-1061
Email: none
Web Site: none
American Aviation is presently accepting resumes for Part 135 Scenic Tour/Charter Pilots for the 2003 season to fly Cessna 207, 206, 182 and 172 aircraft from Page, Arizona. The appointment would be approximately from March/April to October, with Ground School in February/March. Applicants must meet the pilot-in-command qualifications per FAR 135-243 (b).

DAKOTA TERRITORY TOURS, INC. (FAR 135 Tour/Charter Pilot - Sedona, Arizona)
770 Sunshine Ln., Sedona, AZ 86336
Fax: (928) 639-2397
Email: Please click on the link below to apply
Web Site: http://www.sedonaairtours.com
Immediate 135 Pilot position available!!! Full-Time, Year round positon with air tour/charter company based in Sedona, Arizona. Must be available to start work immediately. Must be hard-working, self-motivated, clean-cut, with a current class 2 medical. Vacation pay available! NO CALLS!!

DAKOTA TERRITORY TOURS, INC. (Experienced Tailwheel Pilot)
770 Sunshine Ln, Sedona, AZ 86336
Fax: (928) 639-2397
Web Site: http://www.sedonaairtours.com
Tailwheel Pilot! Full-Time, Year-round position in Sedona, Arizona. MUST have 1,000 hours of tailwheel experience- no exceptions!!!! Must be hard-working, clean-cut and self-motivated. Vacation pay available. NO CALLS!

GALLUP FLYING SERVICE INC. (Cessna 414’s, 340, 310, 210 , 206 Part 135 Line Pilot)
2111 West Highway 66 Ave. Gallup, NM 87301
Fax: (505) 863-4381
Web Site: none
Part 135 Pilot – To fly On-Demand Charter, Air Ambulance & call when needed Forest Service contracts. Must have ATP with 2000 TT, 500 Multi-Engine. Must be willing to fly any aircraft in the fleet. We are located 8 miles east of the Arizona border in high mountain desert. This position is for US Citizens or those who have US Work Authorization. We cannot sponsor applicants from any foreign Country. We fly Cessna 414’s, 340, 310, 210 and 206 aircraft. If you do not meet these qualifications, do not submit a resume.

druglord
5th Jan 2003, 23:33
I did the aussie/american conversion thingie. It's not as easy as some would have you believe. I got hired with a regional and i was one of 10 people in a class. They had 400 resumes to choose from. yes you really do need to know somebody to get in.
Also not to sound glum but I think you have equal chances of getting into qantas as getting into something comparable over here.