PDA

View Full Version : Hiatus Hernia surgery

Greenfinch
2nd Jan 2003, 15:41
O.K. is there anyone out there in the know ? Soon I'm having a laparoscopic operation to treat a Hiatus Hernia. The procedure is known as fundoplication and the specific repair that is being carried out is known as a Nissen-Rosseti.

Can anyone advise how long I can expect to be grounded for (I'm a class 1 medical holder flying A320's in the U.K.)

Obviously I'll be speaking to Med. Dept. at the Belgrano, but if anyone can give me a rough idea at this stage I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,

GF :)

Circuit Basher
3rd Jan 2003, 10:31
A friend of mine who is a volunteer gliding instructor (and operating under RAF Medical rules which are tighter than Class 1) was recommended to ground himself for 3 weeks. He was advised to check with the medics at the end of that time to discuss his recovery and to extend the period if he didn't feel up to flying.

Greenfinch
3rd Jan 2003, 15:39
Many thanks Circuit Basher. That's encouraging news - I'd thought it may have been longer than 3 weeks - the sooner I can get 'back in the saddle' the better !

Thanks again,

Loose rivets
4th Jan 2003, 01:46
Sounds a daft question, but are you sure that you need surgery? Twenty years ago I was talking to AVM Cook who was head of aviation medicine at the time. He was not worried about my plumbing not being attached to the diaphragm and said that the only time that he had any trouble with his was when he got fat!

Symptoms were akin to very bad heartburn, and a bulge over the top of the stomach when doing vigorous gut-busters in the gym.

Solution was lose weight, no gut building for a few weeks and then only with a belt...and the first symptoms returning, cease exercising for a while again.

In those days it was a more difficult op. And had poor success rate I'm sure things have improved now, but do question the need. Mine was very easy to see with Barium but has not really given me a jot of trouble since. ( I walked out of that interview with my class 1 in tact.)

Greenfinch
4th Jan 2003, 19:14
Hi Loose Rivets,

Endoscopic examination has revealed I'm a definite candidate for the op. Sadly years of beer and vindaloo abuse has taken it's toll ! Apparently it's very true what you say about it being a difficult operation in the past. However, I'm told that the modern techniques have simplified it and drastically improved the success rates.

Cheers,

GF ;)

Loose rivets
4th Jan 2003, 23:50
Sounds good,

Frankly I'm so old, I now hold a Grade 1 listed medical, so I'm somewhat out of date. But some time ago, a friend of "contemporary age" had a gall bladder removed; she was some 8 weeks in recovery. When I had mine out a few months later with keyhole surgery (including an egg-sized stone), I was walking around in the reception of the clinic in 36 hours. It's a different world now. Good luck!

Greenfinch
5th Jan 2003, 09:54
Many thanks LR.

After the op I'll post details of the experience here.

All the best,

Circuit Basher
6th Jan 2003, 07:39
Greenfinch - I should add the caveat that I'm not an AME / medically qualified, also that I don't know the specific procedure you're referring to, but my friend did have an inguinal repair via laparoscopic surgery and was a walkie-talkie within 72 hours and flying within 3 weeks. He is, however, around 30 yrs old with good general level of fitness (unlike me!!); he has a paraglider and motor para-glider, runs and exercises regularly; his hernia was caused by over-exertion pushing gliders around the field!

I had an epigastric hernia repair 2 years ago (to cure a golf ball sized lump just over my belly button which came about as a result of lifting one large old German Shepherd into the back of my wife's car - dog was panicking after 'biting bumper' and it wasn't a good planned lift!) - spoke to my AME about it by phone and he was unconcerned (I'm a PPL with Class 2). He just said 'fly when you feel ready' but suggested that a week was a reasonable time. This was a much less invasive procedure, however and just involved putting some nylon mesh in place and repairing the stomach muscles.

Good luck!

Greenfinch
27th Jan 2003, 08:39
Many thanks CB,

I hope my recovery and return to flying can be as swift as yours.

GF:)

P.S. Sorry I didn't post a reply sooner - my p.c. has been u/s for a couple of weeks.