View Full Version : Planet Air - Leeds Bradford

Eurekadelta
2nd Jan 2003, 13:19
As can be read on the website of Leeds Bradford Airport, a new airline will commence operations in April. Does anybody know any more about this venture??

New flexible airline takes off from Leeds Bradford Airport
2 January 2003

A new Yorkshire airline service aimed at the independent holidaymaker will take off from Leeds Bradford International Airport in the Spring.

The new airline – Planet Air – will offer a low-cost flight-only service to four of the most popular villa and apartment holiday destinations in Europe: Malaga, Alicante, Faro and Tenerife.

Although the airline is literally aiming for the sky, in true Yorkshire style its ideals remain firmly on the ground. The emphasis will be on cheap but comfortable flights at low prices and with maximum flexibility to accommodate the individual needs of the passengers.

Planet Air will be using a 167 seater aircraft and initially will be flying to Malaga four times a week, Faro twice a week and Alicante and Tenerife once a week. All the flights will co-incide with the principal change-over days for villa / apartment holidays.

Luxury leather seats, convenient travel times and individual legroom of 31 inches – that’s two inches more than many airlines – will ensure Planet Air passengers travel in style and comfort whilst the cost of the flights will ensure there is no serious damage to their wallets!

One-way flights to both Malaga and Faro next Spring will start from under fifty pounds.

Behind the new venture are two Yorkshire brothers: Mike and Philip Firth.

Managing Director Philip Firth has been involved in the travel and holiday business for more than thirty years, including three years as Head of Marketing and Business Development at Leeds Bradford International Airport, which is where he first had the idea for Planet Air.

“I said at that time I believed there was scope to attract far more passengers to the airport and even then I could see the gap in the market that Planet Air will be filling. We are confidently expecting to carry more than sixty thousand passengers a year, so that will fulfil not only a personal promise but a business dream.”

“Each year round two million people from the Yorkshire and Humber region fly to holiday destinations from Manchester Airport, and within our main catchment area – North and West Yorkshire – more than seven hundred thousand people fly to our four destinations from other airports, mostly from Manchester” said Philip.

“But for passengers flying from Leeds Bradford International Airport, it’s more convenient to get to, less hassle when they are here, easier car parking if it’s needed, and with Planet Air most flights will depart and return during the daytime.”

The Company Chairman is Philip’s brother, Yorkshire business entrepreneur Mike Firth who was responsible for launching the hugely successful Yorkshire International Business Convention which has attracted some of the world’s leading political and business figures to Yorkshire.

“There are two things people know about me,” said Mike. “Firstly I don’t take unnecessary business risks and secondly when I pay for a service I expect to get it, and both those facts are what Planet Air will be all about.

“We know we will particularly appeal to the growing number of people who own or rent villas and apartments, but also those who want the independence and flexibility of organising their own holiday and flights to suit their plans rather than those of some large charter operation.

“Because we are a flight-only service and only operate on the peak holiday departure dates during peak holiday periods we have an extremely low cost base, so we can afford to pass on that benefit to our passengers in a friendly and flexible service. That’s why I know Planet Air is not a business gamble – everyone is a winner, but particularly our passengers”.

Planet Air has already teamed up with Leeds Co-op Travel who will handle flight sales at each of its 18 offices in the airport catchment area, as well as through their Call Centre.

Although the booking office will open on January 15th people can reserve seats immediately by phoning 0845-0606666

Additionally nearly 300 independent Travel Agents in the region will be selling seats on Planet Air flights, as well as the top twenty flight-only retailers. From February passengers will also be able to book direct over the Internet.

Ed Anderson, the Managing Director of Leeds Bradford International Airport has warmly welcomed the launch of Planet Air, saying he believes it will help to address the fact that the Airport has been “grossly underserved” by airlines.

The first Planet Air flight will take off for Tenerife on April 11th 2003, and after that the sky’s the limit!

rentaghost
2nd Jan 2003, 13:28
Flightline MD87's / MD83's might have something to do with this...

Localiser Green
2nd Jan 2003, 13:55
Being discussed in the Airports, Airlines & Routes Forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76881)

jamesstuartco
2nd Jan 2003, 14:54
I mentioned Planet Air a couple of weeks back. I dont know very much but understand that they intend to use MD80(?)s which are with Flightline at the moment and also Flightlines AOC. I think the a/c have been laid up previously in Finland or somewhere nearby.
By the way, its not Leeds Bradford Airport you know, but Leeds Bradford International Airport nowadays. This is important to know when you are approaching the mountain at the threshold of 14 with the cloud down on the deck.