PDA

View Full Version : Dim the lights

cwatters
2nd Jan 2003, 11:24
Heard on a recent flight from Brussels to LHR....

"We will shortly be dimming the main cabin lights so er... your eyes can adjust to the dark"

I was tempted to ask why they didn't just leave them on (then our eyes wouldn't need to adjust to the dark)... but I know the real reason.

Anyone heard a "better" explanation?

TwinAisle
2nd Jan 2003, 12:42
Cathay P once told me that it was so we could better enjoy the lights of Singapore!

TA

Dakota Queen
2nd Jan 2003, 13:06
I thought (may be a bit melodramatic) that this was procedure incase of a crash/loss of power so you could get out an be accustomed to the dark! Thats what I told my mum who is a nervous flyer and she nearly jumped out!

Trislander
2nd Jan 2003, 13:50
See this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60379&highlight=night+flying+regulations

Regards, Trislander

Dakota Queen
2nd Jan 2003, 14:10
It seems I'm right! Mum will never fly again......:( :D

skypryncess
4th Jan 2003, 03:05
how about "to improve the appearance of our crew"

AViON calling!!
4th Jan 2003, 20:36
I was always led to believe (and was procedure in past airlines I have worked with) that cabin lighting is dimmed to give pax and crew a better chance for their eyes to adjust if we had to evecuate at night.

My current airline insists that cabin lights be on full birght for all take offs and landings, with all window shades open for maximum visibility of the aircraft at night. Makes sense really, think about it. How often have you seen aircraft taxi, take off or land at night, in the pitch black with only their tail visible, if that, compared to an aircraft with a full row of lights either side. I have found it difficult at night to identify the airline let alone the size or type of aircraft many times, depending on the airport.

falcon10
9th Jan 2003, 03:46
If you have to crash or evacuate, everyone that is alive will already be in shock, so it makes absolutely no difference whether the lights are dimmed or not!

Ranger One
10th Jan 2003, 18:28
skypryncess has it - I actually heard the phrase 'to enhance the beauty of your cabin crew' on a Virgin lights-dimmed PA a couple of years ago... got a good response from the cabin!

R1