PDA

View Full Version : What is it really like as a CX new recrut

highflyer265
2nd Jan 2003, 10:12
I am a CX second officer who has been on line for around 4 mths. First I was worried about all the issues of the ban.
I had however come from an airline that was in trouble and really felt that joining was my only option.
To date myself and most others who have joinef have not had any grief regarding the ban, don't get me wrong the question is most always discussed on the flight deck. One first officer would not talk to me on one occasion, The captain invited us for a drink when we got to our destination the F/O and I realised our wifes had something in common now they are friends.
Honestly what is it like, great my wife and I have not looked back, and we have meet some really nice folk over here, including Alpa members. We have read about what the 49'ers have gone through and we sympathise.
your career is really important, and life will go on....
CX is an amazing company to work for....

AACE
3rd Jan 2003, 00:39
My God, I'm going to be sick ........

Clowndown
3rd Jan 2003, 01:18
that this person doesn't really work for CX. You already know what it is like to work for CX, you have been on the line for 4 months or so! You went through training..you live in Hong Kong...your wife hangs out with his wife...I get the feeling that you might have an interview coming up and would like to see how people are really treating the Replacement Workers. If not..I am sorry for the prejudgment..but if CX is hiring people that don't know what the company is like after 4 months well then......I am a shoe in!

highflyer265
4th Jan 2003, 11:19
Clowndown, do you work for CX ?, if so you may need to look into other airlines to see how others are treated.
I think the grief you have is not how you are treated by the company but that the 49er's were wrongfully let go.

Recently I was sent a letter from the AOA addressed to F/O.... (may I say this is the incorrect rank) as I have not taken a direct entry to a 49er's slot. Not like there fellow workmates who have not been able to resist an upgrade to fill there positions.

We have a great life, I am home most of the month, we get payed a good wage, and just recently we had the most awsome weekend out on CX re: the festival with free airport express tickets to get there, free food, entertainment, ect and a 13th mth salary. You guys need to wake up, its far more what we had where I just came from. I just come back from a trip had a great night out with the F/O for New Years.....a union member.
Whom I might add is not going to be one for long.

There is no scare tackics involved, I just want to let other guys know to relax the only stress they should have is getting through the interview and the training...

Good luck

jtr
4th Jan 2003, 14:37
http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

Sounds like you have it all sorted out after 4 months on line!! Hell, you probably even know what MTR line to get on to make it to TST!

Sorry to say I couldn't scan your entire post, as my bullsh!tometer tripped a CB when it was trying to work out this..

had the most awsome weekend out on CX re: the festival with free airport express tickets to get there, free food, entertainment

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/monsieurboo/overclocking.gif

Once you come down of your big jet, international airline, mega bucks hormone rush, and realise that a pint of milk cost US$3, then you may have a more realistic view of things. Sooner (hopefully) or later, you will realise that you are the only little ray of sunshine in the cockpit. Why? Because all the rest of us are off the laughing gas, and just breathing whatever happens to drift over from the mainland.

Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but you don't know sh!t from shoepolish yet!

shortly
4th Jan 2003, 18:11
Harsh doesn't even come close. Why can't you pit bulls realise that there are many very contented employees at CX. What was incorrect about the post? The party put on by the company was a blast for grown ups and kiddies alike - and even made a lot of bucks for charity. I have just finished a bit of leave and was drinking with old pals from Quaint Arse. You think things are tough here? Have a good honest look around the industry. What people do know after four months is how they have been treated thus far, and they can use their previous work experiences in that determination. The continuous vitriol against any posts that are perceived as pro-company only demonstrates the blinkered rationale of the few who bless us with those inane comments.

Clowndown
4th Jan 2003, 18:18
Highflyer...my point is that you obviously know what it is like to really work for CX...you love it...that's great! I don't work for CX..I am furloughed from TWA LLC (or American Airlines..take your pick). I have an interview coming up with CX and have been contemplating the reprucussions of crossing the hiring ban myself. As a member already of the "One world cockpit alliance" (whatever and the hell that is) and recently screwed by my beloved union ALPA during the "integration" into American Airlines..I find it very difficult to listen to any "ban on hiring" that ALPA might back. In my mind they are the ones who put me in the position to have to cross the ban. I as everyone else on these boards sympathise with the 49ers and YES I would donate a portion of my salary if I was successful with the interviews..although it is my understanding that they won't let me join or take my money though. If I was still at the commuters and was trying to get that dream job I probably would never cross the hiring ban for fear that I could not get another job with any ALPA carrier. But guess what...I already have my number at AA (a crappy one at that) and if someday we became ALPA I can garauntee you that they would never turn down my money. It sounds like you made the right decision for you and your family so enjoy your new company...you deserve it.

Cpt. Underpants
4th Jan 2003, 22:56
Hook, line and sinker.

Highflyer's post is a plant, guaranteed, and would you just look at the reaction it generates! His language, punctuation and gushing commentary puts him firmly into a certain demographic hardly representative of the majority of readers of this forum.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

BASIS
4th Jan 2003, 23:21
Hey Mr. highflyer man, explain to me how you got a 13th month after being in the company for only 4?:eek:

highflyer265
5th Jan 2003, 00:48
I have been in HK about 4 mths and prior to that the training in OZ, as the 13mth salary goes we get a pro rata of one mths salary....If you read your contract you will be able to read about what the new recuits get when it comes to the bonus.

Look, I am no fake, I know what it costs to buy a cartoon of milk. If you look hard enough you can buy it on special for around $19.50 HK, if your so hard up.

For those of you who seem to think that we are not happy here, please give us some examples of problems that have happened to new joiners. Most of us have meet up and have either lived at CX or the Regal and maybe we could put your bull...... into the right context instead of 15th hand stuff that you heard from a friend that heard from a friend ect.

If you have a problem its your.....quite frankly alot of you guys are to scared to do much **** cause your scared you may lose your job too.....And I agree thats wrong you want justice.

Its time to find another way its not us who are bitter and badly effected its you.....

Good luck to those who have interviews in HK next week,
you deserve a break

FlexibleResponse
5th Jan 2003, 01:56
If you have worked there from 22 months to 22 years, they might sack you for no reason. Ask 49 CX pilots.

PS. The management have just refused to negotiate with the Cabin Crew at the standard Year End Negotiation meeting. And the Cabin Crew do not have any outstanding Industrial Action.

Cpt. Underpants
5th Jan 2003, 02:34
HF

Spend some of your bonus on English lessons or a word processor, for Pete's sake.

Wizofoz
5th Jan 2003, 02:44
Flex,

Another valid reason for you to take effective industrial action and not hang it all on the new-joiners.

shortly
5th Jan 2003, 11:23
HighFlyer. Are you certain of your facts? I think pro-rata only applies to profit share and for thirteenth month you need to have been employed for all twelve preceding months. I could be wrong (again) as things might be that different for you newbies. But even one as optimistic as I am can't see the company giving money away where it is not due. - I know the freighter folk and Dragon were receiving 'gifts' from the Directors even though their contracts didn't/don't require it.

highflyer265
5th Jan 2003, 19:46
Shortly,

Thanks for asking, I am not sure if it is a different contract that we are on but we got part of a 13th mth salary in December.