PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 3500 sound-card drivers W2K

Belgique
2nd Jan 2003, 04:33
Easily reached the conclusion that the best O.S. for my laptop was Win2K and it is a joy to use - no BSOD and generally no hiccups with 256mb SDRAM.

However, as many an unsuspecting Dell buyer has found, your support stops with the O.S. your computer was bought with (Win 98 in this case - and Win 98 is an exercise in self-flagellation). Dell absolutely deny that they have any obligation to support the basic machine or the peripherals and devices that you bought it with under any other O.S. (whether your 3 year extended warranty is current or not). Apart from that of course, their support (which you pay dearly for) is great.

The only other problems thus far have been three "dissolving" key-boards in three years (keys just break off). After having to ship the machine back to Australia (from UK) for repair (because their International warranty didn't include the servicing bit), I finally wrote them a blistering letter about their product quality. They inferred that I must be really hard on the keys and that's why they break. A couple of letters later they agreed that they might look further at the problem when I inevitably send it in (out-of-warranty) for its fourth keyboard (but not the power supply burn-out problem - because that's "lifed" by its use - as against the keyboard which I suppose is designed to be "used"). I rarely use the laptop on battery because it has no useful battery life - I just run it down and charge it up so that it doesn't develop NICAD style "memory".

But not being able to have sound under Win2K is rather irksome. I've spent literally hours on forums and driver sites downloading all drivers (any O.S.) for the Neomagic MagicMedia 256AV Audio (WDM) - for many months now. NeoMagic Corp itself (you might have thought) would be a source - however despite having been a major Dell supplier they threw away their audio-card support business leaving everyone in the lurch - and headed off in a more profitable IT direction. They are now a very prosperous and thriving concern.

So of course Dell refers you to them and they refer you to DELL. But actually no-one is responsible. I am posting here in the hope that one of the many thousands of people out there who have Inspiron 3500's may have found a solution or workaround that they might be able to pass on to [email protected] (please include Pprune in the subject line to avoid Junk Mail Hell).

I am also posting in order to warn fellow Ppruners about the dubious practices of DELL. Their product works well (apart from its fatigue-prone plasticity) - but they pride themselves in their ability to throw the small-print in your face. And at the stage where this Win2K issue first came up, the Inspiron 3500 was only 20 months old - with 16 months to run on its extended warranty (having been bought under a corporate contract).

What_does_this_button_do?
2nd Jan 2003, 09:10
So, none of these work? (http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/system.asp?sid=INS_PNT_PII_3500&m=l&p=3)

Belgique
2nd Jan 2003, 09:48
WDTBD

Thanks for checking this out.

I actually have all those files (from http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/search/catalog.asp?restart=true) and there is none for Win2K under my Service Tag number either (TDMLK).

Unfortunately the Win NT4 (SP4) drivers won't work in Win2000.

ORAC
2nd Jan 2003, 17:54
Tried these? (http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/717.htm)

Belgique
2nd Jan 2003, 19:04
ORAC

Thanks matey.
Yes tried all those.

I think it's a lost cause.

I think I'm about to introduce Dell to Professor Alan Fels of the Consumer Commission.

It's the very least I can do for fellow sufferers (and intending Dell victims).

Pity actually because there's not that much more that Dell would have to do to actually have World-beating products, particularly in their Notebook range (as far as reliability and compatibility).

It's their arrogant attitude and smart-arsed way of trumpeting their policy of never supporting any other Operating system that really gets to me.

BE WARNED

B

Techman
2nd Jan 2003, 22:17
So let me get this straight. You have installed a different operating system, of your own choosing, and now you expect Dell to support it??.

Have to say that in all the years that I have used Dell, I have had nothing but swift and exellent service.
Never had a hardware problem, not even with the casing or the keyboard. Did have a software problem once, sent them an email, and got an answer and solution the next day.

What_does_this_button_do?
2nd Jan 2003, 22:40
I've had two of my guys on this and they tell me there isn't a driver for Windows 2000.

I would therefore be amazed if they were wrong.

B

ORAC
3rd Jan 2003, 00:51
I would suggest you get an external USB sound device and forget the internal.

Edirol (http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1a.html)
Buddy (http://www.itspeaking.com/speech-producttype.asp?prodt=4)
Extigy (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/usbdiscount/creatsounbla.html)
Tornado/Turando (http://www.usbgear.com/usa/USB_Speakers.html)

Aka Dell support for laptops.

My brother-in-law got a dell laptop for his business a couple of months ago and it hasn't worked since it arrived. Support has been absolutely appalling throughout and he had to borrow my laptop to get by.

When, eventually, a service engineer turned up he said that: The motherboard was faulty; the software installation was faulty; the keyboard wasn't screwed down properly; he then stated he wasn't even going to attempt to fix it due to it's condition and left.

My brother-in-law is still attempting to obtain a refund. He bitterly regrets he bought it by company cheque rather than credit card and his opinion of Dell is not suitable for printing here.

Needless to say he is now buying one elsewhere.

Belgique
3rd Jan 2003, 18:36
ORAC
Thanks. You've said it all (as far as Dell is concerned)

Those USB solutions would be fine if I'd acquired the notebook second-hand (and didn't mind carting around additional junk - which you do anyway, because they achieve compactness by requiring "alternation") .

Re the comment about expecting Dell to support other OS's. I'd always found that to be a point of pride amongst other purveyors of hardware. In fact I had a high spec Elonex laptop some years ago and it lasted me for about five years and was always supported (and I'd guess the guy I sold it to wouldn't still be running the Win 3.1 it came with. He's probably upgraded to something above the Win NT4 it had on when I sold it to him. Prior to that it ran my son's BeOS and Linux. Its sound worked under any OS and Elonex are a little UK concern who make their kit up from off the shelf componentry. If i'd bought a Inspiron 2500 with win 95 I couldn't imagine remaining with that buggy (and now MS unsupported) OS.

In fact if you look at the Win 2000 HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) you'll find that the NeoMagic Card 256 Magic Media (WDM) is listed there as WLP1.1 - rather than just "compatible" (that means that it wasn't immediately compatible but was verified as being so at a later date - after Win2K had been out a while). What that tells me is that NeoMagic just washed their hands of all the people they'd flogged their cards to and couldn't be bothered writing a Win2K or NT4 sound-driver. Dell of course had nothing by way of contract with NeoMagic under which they could enforce provision of a driver - so it becomes an auto cop-out.

Thus if all you compliant people out there have become inured to getting very little for the support and the warranty that's factored into the purchase price or for the extended warranty you paid for (like me) then you probably also don't mind getting done over for all the little fees and charges and impositions that come along. i.e. You'd also not be the type to query any such fee, charge, impost or levy.

You probably think that planned obsolescence and built-in design defects are a fair-enough marketing gimmick and that frustration is par for any course. But I'm personally finding it an everyday challenge to keep on top of that sort of commercial dishonesty.

Example: You decide to place all your insurance policies (motor, home, boat, sailplane, rental properties, home contents etc) with the one company because they offer a multi-policy discount. At the time that you move the business across you find the proposition of an overall 10% off a very competitive quote to be quite attractive. Five years down-track and in a discussion with a junior at said company you learn that you've never had any such discount, it's not reflected in your policy coding. You ask to speak to a supervisor and discover that after he's "investigated why", it's actually all your fault. It was never up to the sales man to explain to you that the policies had to be lumped together via a coding for you to attract that discount. If some properties were in your wife's name or child's name (car etc) or there was a minor spelling mistake then the software rejected any such automatic "lumping together for the promised discount - and it simply didn't happen. Five years later and they claim that it is irreversible. Why? Because that's how their software is written. Makes you wonder how many poor dupes the SGIO is ripping off eh? You ask for a letter detailing how and why it happened and there's just no way that they will admit anything in writing - and in fact your earlier 10% contract is now (they assure you) just something that you'd thought you'd tee'd up - but was in fact a non-event by dint of it never having happened. So why couldn't I tell from the premium I was charged, you might ask? That's easy, because the policies were moved across as they expired with other companies and the discounts didn't cut in until they had been. That's how they make sure you aren't vetting their actual implementation. After that, annual increments plus adjustments to sums assured and no-claims discounts serve to disguise the missing 10% (lost in the static). What about Telstra? You have a second phone line put in and it's a data line (fax/internet) so you wouldn't be at all interested in paying extra for it to be a silent number. Five years down-track and you ask for a breakdown of your bill and find that they've been charging you that extra throughout (but can't say why and it too is irreversible).

My point is that if you are in the habit of writing such abuse off as a matter of course and allow your hard-earnt dough to get frittered away by cunningly written software, rip-off imposts, inexplicable "policies" and suave put-offs, then you're just the sort of dupe they love (as a customer). I could go on with many more examples -but I don't want to bore you. They are just two examples that I dealt with today. Next week, with SGIO, I'll be addressing the $100 excess that I was charged (by the repairer) for my wife's car repair under her nil excess policy. Then I'll ring Brian Gardner Motors and ask why they charged me for six spark plugs on my four cylinder car's servicing. Get the idea? Two weeks hence I'll be in the Small Claims Court asking why I should pay a roofer $6000 when the job he did he wasn't qualified to do (as his Builder's Licence had been revoked) - and because it leaks like a sieve. I may then be in the right mood to ring the Local Council office and ask why they needed to adjust a particular administrative fee from $50 to $500? (for a permit to knock down a house). Was it just because they needed to generate revenue?

Dell (and their rorting ways) is only part of a larger problem.