View Full Version : BA Aptitudes attire

Superpilot
3rd May 2001, 13:44
Hi there chaps,

Since it’s my first time attending the BA aptitudes next week, I would be grateful if any of you could advise me on what to wear.

‘Suited and booted’ or ‘casual but smart’ ?

(for a bloke)

Spoonbill
3rd May 2001, 13:52
:) Wear nothing :)
You'll either be shown the door straight away, or immediately promoted to Senior Captain for such a display of initiative.

blueangel
3rd May 2001, 13:54
Well I only know the aptitude test (also called DLR test) for the Lufthansa and there it doesn't matter at all what you are wearing.
But as it is an english airline and the english are a bit more conservative I think you should look quite smart, even for the aptitude test!

Well anyway good luck and tell us how you did ok?

tunneler
3rd May 2001, 13:54
Not thats sodding helpful innit?

Probs best to go suited and booted mate - seems to be the best way forward if you want to be taken seriously.

Do a search - seem to remember a thread on interview attire a while back....

Good luck by the way :)

Tunny

Iz
3rd May 2001, 13:56
Not sure what exactly awaits you in those tests but it's always a good thing to wear a suit. Not necessary to wear a vest underneath, just slacks and a jacket, white shirt, nice tie (no Bugs Bunny on it though :)).
Remember, nobody will fault you for being dressed too neatly, you may attract some negative attention if you're underdressed, however.

Good luck!

JIW
3rd May 2001, 14:46
When I went a couple of weeks ago everyone went suited except one guy, so its probably better to dress like that- its certainly looks better.

wtpurser
3rd May 2001, 18:43
Definatley were a suit ! Theres no subsitute. Don't listen to any tos**rs that tell you otherwise.

WT. :)

funkster
3rd May 2001, 19:20
Been to aptitudes 3 times and only met one person not in a suit, looked very out of place. No question, wear a suit !! :)

B clam
3rd May 2001, 23:41
Why are you even asking this question?

AJ
4th May 2001, 00:09
B clam,

Because he didn't know!

The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.

Rgds,
AJ

Griffin
4th May 2001, 01:59
Superpilot

Take it easy. Dont wear suit if you dont want to. No one knows who you are when attending the tests, sitting amongst 100 other wannabes. You are only gonna sit down and write for a whole day, hence it only looks stupid if you sit there in a dress+the tie retard the blood stream to your brain so you wont be able to perform your best. You can of course untie your tie but then you wont look very formal will you? And is`nt that the whole idea with a suit? It sure is an over kill. If you come with a pair of chinos and a nice V-neck or an OK shirt you will be well off. Who is so stupid and self absorbed that he think he will get attention, "Oh look at me I can dress and I am a person who will be very representative for your company", on an aptitude test. NO mate, save the dress for the interviews, when it really means something.

Iz
4th May 2001, 11:02
AJ - truer words were never spoken ;)

I still say, wear a suit. What's the matter with wearing a suit? Get one that's the right size, not one where your tie will choke you. If you're uncomfortable in a suit and tie, then you're not gonna like this profession because guess what: our uniform is a suit and tie as well!

So for your sake, don't go making any fashion or attitude statements, wearing a suit can't be that bad that you'd risk an airline job for it?

I know a pilot that was sent away at United because his shoes were not well polished - before he'd even introduced himself. BA might not be that extreme, but don't take chances with a job like this. Good luck and enjoy.

ROTATION
4th May 2001, 11:36
Griffin is pulling your chain superpilot - wear a suit!

Superpilot
4th May 2001, 12:43
Well, thats what forums are all about - 'Opinions' and the majority opinion is usually the best.

Thank you.

Girt_bar
4th May 2001, 13:40
Anyone know where an antipodean applicant can rent a suit from that is close to Cranebank. I can't see myself being able to keep a suit pressed when I am living out of a suitcase!

Also. The letter I received stated that I was to attend interviews and said nothing about apptitudes. What does this mean??

A and C
5th May 2001, 13:33
Make sure its the the full suit and tie because the BA "attitude" demands it and not just from you.

I know of a very senior training captain who turned up to do some of the interviews on his large motorcycle to be told by the HR guy that "the bike would not make the right impression with the candidates" !

He pointed out that the candidates seemed more interested in it than in the HR guys astra !.

StephenM
6th May 2001, 22:15
Just wear the suit man.

Black or navy - with a white shirt. Can't go wrong. No-one seemed to take an interest in the attire when I went to BA last year but everyone else was wearing a suit.

Fit in with the crowd - don't stand out. I'm sure your aptitude test results will do just that..... good luck

woodywoodpecker
11th May 2001, 21:29
I was the only guy wearing jeans and a T-shirt at my aptitude tests, but it makes absolutely no difference what you wear. I got through and probably most who looked very dashing in their suits did not. For the aptitudes it's what's in your head, not how well you scrub up. However for the final board, definitely wear your best bib and tucker, that's when it matters.

Iz
12th May 2001, 11:05
Not trying to sound disrespectful, woody, but that's like saying:

"I was in a car crash without wearing a seatbelt, and I was fine." and suggesting that you don't need to wear one at all.

What happens if the other candidates are very good as well? You score points with everything, your appearance, the way you act and behave and your capabilities. If you're a nice person and did good on the tests (like you maybe :)), then they'll care a bit less about what you wear.

But just like with the seat belts, be on the safe side, wear a suit!

Wedge
12th May 2001, 21:22
Most wear suits so if you don't want to stand out that's what you should wear. On the other hand your attire is not assessed in any way at the aptitudes as far as I know so it should not matter.....I would not go as far as the Jeans and T-Shirt example above but the fat that Woody got through would suggest it does not matter what you wear. Smart casual is OK and it might make your performance better if you are not wearing a tight collar and tie.

It is vital to look smart for Final Board if you get that far. Good luck.

Girt_Bar I don't think it's worth renting a suit, if you are travelling you might want to invest in a decent suit carrier. You can get these at most decent high street suit carrier shops ;)