PDA

View Full Version : CPT New Year

PAXboy
1st Jan 2003, 16:33
Continuing my sabbatical ...

JNB to here on Nationwide yesterday. My first on them, on 706 operated by ZA-OOD.

Generally good. CC very friendly and good natured. Service was good but I declined the hot lunch as the chicken meal was not nearly hot enough. No way to tell if it had been hotter and was now cooling, or if had not been hot enough. Either way, the risk of illness from warm chicken is too high.

There was a SW, so we approachged from the North.

Whilst waiting in arrivals for my friend to collect me ... I saw a black (what appeared to be) English Electric Lightning taxi past.

To say that I wa surprised and electrified, is an understatement. Happily, it took off and I was able to hear people say to their children, "Look at that funny little jet";)

He rotated only slightly and, it became clear, was letting the speed build. By pressing myself against the glass, I was just able to see him pull up into a BEAUTIFUL near vertical climb.

WOW, what a treat. :cool:

tired
1st Jan 2003, 19:30
PAXboy - the Lightning is operated by a crowd called Thunder City, located at the southern end of the airfield and owned by a rich PPL. (!!!) They own and operate quite few - mainly exRAF - fast jets - Hunters, Canberras and Buccanears amongst them. For the payment of a suitable number of shekels they'll take you flying too!!

Enjoy my hometown, keep the wx sweet please, I'll be there again next week.

t

Capetonian
2nd Jan 2003, 09:52
Thunder City is open to the public. A tour of the hangar costs very little. Sadly, a sortie in the Lightning is out of range of most of us, at US$9000, but then, how many other aircraft can take you from 0-60,000 feet in one minute? Flights in 'lesser' aircraft are pretty pricey too ($6500 Buccaneer, $3500 Hunter)

Their website is www.thundercity.com and you can book online!

The static exhibitions are good too, and they plan to build a picnic and braai site (BBQ to the non South Africans) for family fun.

PAXboy
2nd Jan 2003, 15:03
Interesting, Capetonian, when you say $9000 do you really mean US$?? Holeeee Kak but that is a fee and a half. :eek:

I like the idea of sixty thousand of your South African feet in a minute but am not too sure what they would do with my stomach during that time. It would be a shame to miss the view and mess up the cockpit ... :(

By the way, the wx is beeeeeutifoool. Was over in Simonstown today and the sea was calm and the sun blazing hot. Soon be time for another stoll down to the Clermont Spur and yet another tasty steak. :cool:

Gunship
4th Jan 2003, 19:40
Lo Paxboy, Capetonian and tired ...

Paxboy - welcome in my hometown ... well close to CT anyway.
So sad we could not have a PPRUNER evening here man ... sorry I had no replies so I called it off.

I am busy packing for West Africa again ... booking online now with Kulula :D

have a gr8 time and check the wind hey :D

Welcome back Tired - take a long break and rest out ;)

tired
5th Jan 2003, 17:17
Thanks, Guns - a long break? I wish!! 4 nights and back to the cold north. Still, I get to CPT more often than you do I think, so I guess that's a blessing!!

Enjoy the western side of our beautiful continent! :(

Gunship
5th Jan 2003, 20:53
Must admit ... just get's worse every time I must go back ... I mean 32 degr C today, NO wind :D, Braai big steaks at 12, swim, Tassie's, we won the cricket, friends, family , at 1900, Ocean basket in the Mall, double seafood platter for R110.00 (uhmm) $14 or so $ bru, Graca on ice, Irish Cofee's .... friends, family ... and then a good Internet line to say cheers to fellow PPRUNERS for the night :D

I wanna STAY !!!

PAXboy
6th Jan 2003, 20:03
Thanks Guns, I' m here till next monday, before I go to Knysna (Tough life huh?)

Cloudy today but then, a cloudy day in CPT is better than a sunny one in ....... [fill in as required].

My next sector will be Airlinks E35 on Monday afternoon. Till then? Go up the mountain ... the Waterfront ... beach OK, OK, I'll stop now. :D

4granted
6th Jan 2003, 20:24
I just got back too Farr**ng snow and -1' C temps here in Geneva Suisse after 7 weeks DRC contract, Ocean Basket platters, Bientangs Cave Hermanus, wedding in Hemel en Arde Valley with local wines @ 1.5 Euros /bottle.........aaggg sies tog..I hear you say.
Yup I stick to my original
**** off Guns and enjoy your Wes Afikaanse Tas
Groete..BBBrrrrrrr
HB4g