PDA

View Full Version : Two quick questions..

Clowndown
1st Jan 2003, 16:15
1. What is the junior North American Freighter base?

2. How long to a command position if you are hired as a Direct Entry F/O?

Thanks

jtr
1st Jan 2003, 17:27
1) Lower pay, not based in HK

2) Same seniority list as an S/O when you join, so no jumping the line. Time to command in CX has varied (in recent history) from 2 1/2 years to 10+

Clowndown
1st Jan 2003, 23:37
1.obviously not based in HK (Hence NORTH AMERICAN FREIGHTER BASE)

2. Has the rostering list changed for S/O's...I received a package from CX explaining that Direct Entry F/O's would be placed immediately on the Command Roster list and that S/O's would not be placed on that list until upgrade to Junior F/O which is about 18 months. (I think..that is why I am asking)

My point is that a couple of months ago someone stated that it would take about 7 years to make Captain. Is this 3 years as a second officer and 4 more years to Senior F/O? Or could you do it in 4 years from a direct entry f/o? Thanks for the info....:confused:

jtr
2nd Jan 2003, 08:02
Last time I looked at the ever-changing conditions of service, S/O's got a seniority # upon joining, same as FRT f/o. HOWEVER, since it does not affect me, I don't/didn't really pay much attention to it. Looking at the most current seniority list, which is Oct 2001 (there is some significance in that date!!!!) the f/o's and s/o's all get a # based upon date of joining. No preferential treatment.

Upgrade to J f/o in 18 months is a crock.(More CX bullshlt.) I think it is the minimum (absolute). At the moment it is running at around 2 1/2-3 years.

My point is that a couple of months ago someone stated that it would take about 7 years to make Captain.

If this statement refers to the pax fleet, then this person is either wrong, or lying.
Time to command (PAX) has been around the 10 year mark (+/-) for the last couple of years. Most recent on the 2001 seniority list took 9 1/2 years.
Having said that, if you wish to take an early freighter command, (crap $ by comparison) and have the seniority, and have not been sick, and one is available in your chosen port, and have smooched the right butts, and pass the panel, then you may. This could reduce the time.

(edited for shiite spelling)

VR-HFX
2nd Jan 2003, 11:09
jtr is right.

The current bunch on comand training courses have all been in CX about 10 yrs. ...and they joined as F/O's. Add 2-3 yrs if you join as an S/O through the cadet scheme. May be a bit less if you join as an S/O with a few thousand hours.

This should reduce to about 7-8 yrs over the next few years as there is a big group retiring between now and 2005.

jtr
2nd Jan 2003, 12:46
There may be a lot retiring, but we are about to enter into the part of the seniority list (95-97 ish DOJ) when they were recruiting 120 a year. This offsets the leavers. I don't believe it will go under 9 years for a while yet (3+ years)

flyingkiwi
4th Jan 2003, 22:52
You guys are trying to put a negative spin on it. Have just flown with a Relief commander that starts his cmd training in two weeks, time in company 9 years, compare this to being a second officer in AirNZ or Qantas for 9+ years.. and the25 years to command that United or other carriers have

FlexibleResponse
5th Jan 2003, 07:50
Have just flown with a Relief commander that starts his cmd training in two weeks, time in company 9 years, compare this to being a second officer in AirNZ or Qantas for 9+ years..
Are you saying this guy joined CX as an SO nine years ago?

More likely a high time direct-entry F/O?

jtr
5th Jan 2003, 08:32
A friend of mine has been here 7 years last month, and he sure as sh!t ain't 2 years off command.