PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Problems (Ottosclerosis)

jagjock
1st Jan 2003, 13:54
I am a miltary pilot who hopes to join the airlines in about 12 months time. I have been coping with a 40 dB hearing loss in one ear for about 2 years and have just been diagnosed with Ottosclerosis. (All the little bones between ear drum and inner ear are seizing up.) :(

My dilema is whether this will stop me getting a job as pilot with the airlines.

I currently hold a Class 1 medical which can be renewed as long as I get a certificate from a Training Captain which states that I can hear OK in a cockpit environment. (Currently not a problem). I have the option of an operation to restore full hearing but this runs the risk of permanent loss of balance - and all hopes of a Class 1 medical. My Doc isn't sure but also believes that even following a successful Op, I would lose my single pilot catagory. (Something to do with the risks of rapid decompression.)

I would be grateful for any and all advice regarding employability in my current condition, experience of hearing loss/hearing aids and from anyone else who may have undergone Ottosclerosis treatment.

All advice gratefully received........................pardon!

jagjock :confused: