PDA

View Full Version : Catering

qfmike737
1st Jan 2003, 10:59
Hello everyone!!!

I was just wondering if I can get feedback on flight catering. Do the Cabin Crew think that the cabin cleaners are up to scratch??? and which port is the best etc?

What port is the best for meal catering???

Please let me know guys I'd like the feedback AND SUGGESTIONS! to follow up....(I work in flight catering!)

Send them in!!!

From

Mikey!!! :o)

Cart_tart
1st Jan 2003, 16:01
Check your pm Mike.
ct
xx

simon the spoon
1st Jan 2003, 21:21
I find Calgary to be very good for flight catering, also most middle east places have been very good, Bahrain and Salalah in Oman being typical examples. Washington Dulles can be ok, but I have had a couple of problems there, particularly with late delivery of the food. :mad:

qfmike737
1st Jan 2003, 23:58
Thankyou Simon!

It looks like you have had a good experience in the middle east. I have heard stories that casserole dishes with curry have been filled a little to high and ended up as a garnish for flight attendants uniforms...but I have also heard the middle east is great at catering.

taba
2nd Jan 2003, 14:54
Abela's flight kitchen in DXB: attended a food presentation there with the then EK catering manager. Also LSG at FRA...

Gulf catering is generally good, but MAGEC at LTN were good for VIP catering!

qfmike737
2nd Jan 2003, 22:46
Thanks for that information Taba I will continue to take notes on all the feedback I receive.

I actually work for Qantas flight catering and am interested to see what ways catering can improve in to make a flight attendants job easier and improve service. I relise how important it is espeacially now that I'm applying for a cabin crewe position!

I have noticed that on JAL flights they have these meal boxes and quite often pax write notes on them when they come back...they say ..."VERY YUMMY" "THANKYOU VERY NICE" So JAL must be happy! :-)

Keep posting any information guys!!

Thanks

Mike

qfmike737
3rd Jan 2003, 11:35
Well sources have told me that BNE cabin cleaning/catering services are quite good? Does anyone support this???? If yes WHY? if not WHY???

keep sending the information in guys...I might be able to help with catering problems!!

:-)

simon the spoon
4th Jan 2003, 17:40
Worse catering pickup ever for me was Dakar, food was awfull, cant remember which company we used, it wasn't Air Afrique though.

qfmike737
5th Jan 2003, 01:05
Well so far Catering from Dakar is the WORST!!!

Why is this mr Spoon??? What was so bad?

Anyone disagree? agree?

Keep posting the feedback in guys

simon the spoon
5th Jan 2003, 09:00
The quality of the food was just below the standards you would expect, this was a one off incident, I have not used them since, so this may not always be the case. :confused:

qfmike737
5th Jan 2003, 22:09
Ok Simon the Spoon perhaps it was a one off incident....Dakar catering below standars....BUT it may be a frequent thing....for example Sydney Catering seems to always cop it from the Cabin Crew......

The Qantas Curry in the casserole dishes is constantly overflowing and spilling all over the trays and flight attendants themselves!! I have photos of it and it yeeek!

Well Keep sending feedback on Cabin cleaning/Catering guys this is your chance to have YOUR SAY :-) :p

qfmike737
22nd Jan 2003, 01:55
I must say I do get an inside idea of the catering service on many carriers and I was quite impressed with JAL and Malaysian Airlines first class! often they have 3/4 quarter full open bottles of Dom Perrignon and unopened jars of Caspian Sea Savruga Caviar...perhaps they should stock less of these items???

Does anyone have any idea how much that Caviar costs!!!?????

OH and how much does that First class chocolate on JAL cost? it comes in a small green box and inside it has little pieces of fine chocolates...where do u get them from???

(well done JAL!!! you guys must have alot of happy passengers after eating your meals! :-) )

qfcabin
22nd Jan 2003, 06:34
Mike,
Do you have any idea how much First Class tickets cost? That's why the caviar etc may be excessively loaded..because you cannot tell a First Class pax that you have run out!

qfmike737
22nd Jan 2003, 11:56
QF cabin...i do relise how much a first class ticket costs...however on a flight back from malaysia to BNE i think that the unopened jars of caviar should not be dumped...instead they should be placed into storage like unopened bottles of liquor etc.

Can I just make it clear.....BNE cabin catering DO try their very best to ensure they do the best job possible!!!! I KNOW because I work on the crews!!!! given the critical time frames and demands we have i must say we definately do an exceptional job!

In BNE we actually:

a) Cross the seatbelts
b) Place the safety card in front
c) Clean toilets (empty bin/top ups/deodurise)
d) Clear seat pockets

I dont know what other ports like Sydney do???

However I believe Sydney has NO excuses and QF flight attendants PLEASE dont confuse our service with Sydney! After a cityflyer comes in to BNE..we can definately tell it's just come back from Sydney! Toilets are not topped up if not ...cleaned! which makes more pressure for us to make up for what they haven't done. Some Flight attendants have told us that Sydney have bigger catering crews that come onboard so they must have no excuse!

If you have any comments on BNE catering please let me know so I can follow things up!!!

From Mikey Boy!

.....and by the way...any acknowledgement for any good work we do would be great motivation for cabin catering crews! :-)

And say gday if u see me around :-)

jayne
22nd Jan 2003, 13:24
From my experience over the past 2 years I have found Melbourne cleaners to be very good and friendly. Sydney on the other hand I found to be quite dodgy however they do have alot of aircraft to clean so they say. The grooming of the cleaners needs attending to I think. They look very scruffy with hair hanging out etc. I know they are not supposed to be in view of pax however in sydney they stand in the aerobridges waiting for the pax to get off. Had one girl once who looked like shed been wearing the same shirt for a week with her hair hanging out talking on her mobile phone in full view of pax in the aerobridge. Don't know if anyone else has noticed???
All I can say is cleaning aircraft all day cannot be fun and majority of the claeners are friendly and quick.
As far as catering goes i have no major complaints except for our crew meals (and the fact that on 2 hour flights people get a biscuit and a small chocolate... it's embarrassing to give out). I know that majority of the crew I work with throw there crew meals straight in the bin. It's the same thing every day. Had an excelent fresh salad the other day out of Mackay. Was very impressed. Don't know bout any1 else but I would be happy with a sandwich and fruit. Don't want to sound negative but thought you mite want to know the facts.
Hope I have helped.
P.S. Any jobs going in the catering department???
P.P.S It is sad to see when places like the gold coast are in the middle of a drought and sooooooooooooooooooooooo much water is wasted......

jayne
24th Jan 2003, 12:25
Thanx for your reply. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the lamingtons and the stickers. I mean, What were they thinking???
As I too clean the aircraft (qantas-link/impulse) I know how much of a pain it is to pick those stupid stickers off the windows, tray tables etc.
Sultanas are fun to clean up as well.
Whats your opinion on the wastage of water?
Any complaints about us flight attendants?
Keep up the good work. Might bump into you one day!

jayne.:)

ditzyboy
25th Jan 2003, 00:07
jayne -
WHERE YOU BIN, SISTER!?!

mike-
I have to disagree about 717s not being trashed... When we fly into BNE we have just done a 42 minute flight from ROK (which a lot of the time are half full) or a 60 minute flight from MKY.The pax don't have time to get messy... Check out the cabin after an afternoon SYD-HTI flight or any flight to MCY! MCY pax are especially FILTHY!!! :mad:

We had a kid who tore out about 3 meters of wiring underneath the seat tracks and his parents just sat there and watched him do it!!! The a/c was grounded as the emergency lighting system wires needed to be replaced.

SYD cleaners are useless and a waste of space and THEY SNOB US! Half the the time when I say "G'day!" they look at me like I am scum... Oh and heaven forbid you should tell them they miss a row! They ignore you and walk off!

Stickers and those bloody pencil sharpeners need to go from the kid's packs! In fact lets just ban kids! :)

qfmike737
25th Jan 2003, 00:36
Ok ok....I guess NO aircraft is any exception for being trashed but if that kid was pulling out that wire did any crew see it happening???

I have a little story about a 717 coming in BNE a couple of weeks ago....the plane was delayed as the pilot overshot the aerobridge and required a pushback to get inline with aerobridge whilst onboard a woman spat at a flight attendant and spat all over the floor and toilet AND was trying to bash her by bashing the seat in front of her. I remember the flight attendants name that was assualted but I wont post it on here for her privacy. I must say the Crew handled the situation extremely well and profesionally! Anyways I was cleaning toilets that day...and I had to clean the spit up as well.....In this situation Caterers in BNE have the deepest sympathy for you guys especially when it comes to the 717 crew!

I'm not your average cabin cleaner I guess...probably because I'm so eager to be a flight attendant and that is why i'm doing my job.....to position myself there while I'm waiting...so I get experience etc into the action of you guys! and I must say I have learnt alot in comparison to doing another customer service job elsewhere. I always say gday to the cabin crew and goodbye...and how are you bla bla

So if you see me please say G'day! you can tell it's me because I only have the temporary ID and wear it on my collar or pm and i'll give you a number so you can sms me to let me know when your in BNE!!! :-)

SO SAY GDAY!!!

:-)

From Mikey the cabin cleaning boy :-)

qfmike737
26th Jan 2003, 08:09
Just wondering do any of the Eastern or Sunstate Cabin crew have information on the Dash 8 cabin cleaning???

Do you have to cross the seatbelts?? do the blankets? top ups? pillows? ......toilets???

that would be hard work on your own!

beema
30th Jan 2003, 10:30
You must be kidding if you call it catering or food on QF.
It is foul and and an insult to pax and crew.
They should shuv those domestic meal box's up whoever's ar#e whom created them.
So called recycable, they all end up in the bin, what a joke.
Why cant we just have simple plain recognisable food ?
For QF international ops, its even worse, the hot meal choices resemble the same sort of stuff that comes out of my dog's canned food.
You want good inflight food, then fly MH,SQ or CI
You can stick it QF and QFCL

beema
31st Jan 2003, 06:55
Still think yor over anticipating QFCL.
Perry should stick to his restaurant in SYD, i say bring back proper sandwiches and Steak and Chips.
Tell that to your Managmet.
At least on Virgin Blue you pay and get what you want !