PDA

View Full Version : Otter and Beaver info

amathews
1st Jan 2003, 09:12
Happy New Year everyone.

Just doing a little research here, would anybody have any details or link on the web to some history of the DHC-3 Otter in Australia, in particular VH-OTR operating for a Scenic flight company in Cairns along with the Beaver VH-IDQ.

Many thanks in advance

Pseudonymn
1st Jan 2003, 09:43
amathews,

Have you tried a google search using the rego numbers? I jst did a search on VH-IDQ and it came up with 16 matches in Aus & NZ.
VH-OTR came up with 7 matches.

8 8th's Blue
3rd Jan 2003, 10:03
amatthews,
Have a look at the rego search on www.aopa.com.au that will tell you a little about the aircraft and who owns it. Alternately thr Brisbane airport web site has a link to a rego search and there data base seems a little more current than aopa's.
Hope that helps 88b

Cyclic Hotline
3rd Jan 2003, 16:52
The very best site for Beaver information is here. (http://www.dhc-2.com/current_cover_page.htm)

I see a picture of the Beaver you are looking for on the front page!

I see my last Beaver is now sporting a turbine conversion and still going strong, although I always loved the old R-985. It is pretty interesting to be able to look back at all the Beavers I have operated and maintained over the years - this site has almost all of them.

A friend of mine has just purchased a Garrett powered Otter that is undergoing conversion right now. I am not a real fan of Garrett engines, but he seems convinced about it. As it is his first turbine machine it is going to be interesting to see how it works out for them. Hopefully it will look better than "Pinnochio" the sorry looking Garrett powered Beaver that may just qualify as one of the ugliest aircraft ever built, although it would be fair to say that it is probably one of the best performing Beavers around, and has unmatched visibility that compares to a helicopter!