PDA

View Full Version : DHC-6 or Caravan Type Rating

Dont worry
31st Dec 2002, 12:39
Hi, there !

I am looking for a cheap DHC-6 or Caravan type rating place in europe or in the U.S.

Would be nice if anybody could give me some advice.

Flight Safety and Simuflight are not considered. To expensive !

A Flight Operation where I could do training flights during positioning or ferry flights would also be good.

Have german ATP and U.S. CPL/ME/IR.

Thanx and a happy new year to all of you !

HAL Pilot
6th Jan 2003, 01:17
Neither plane requires a type rating in the US. I believe Flight Safety offers trainingcourses for both.

Dont worry
6th Jan 2003, 12:32
Dear HAL Pilot.

Youīre right . But FSI is not a good place to go for a privat person. Itīs just to fu... expensive. They will charge about $7500 for a DHC-6 rating or training. Donīt know how much a Caravan will be. But probably the same.

I thought about getting some training during flight and do a check ride therafter.
Thats what some companies do in germany. Means; get your training on ferry flights, learn the books by yourself and then have a check.

AMEX
6th Jan 2003, 13:35
I am pretty sure the Twotter is a type rating in Europe (although i ll stand corrected) but the Caravan is a Class Rating (Cessna SET on your licence).
I won't go on about getting your own type/class rating but some companies require a Flight Safety Course (Insurance requirement even in Europe) so check with your future potential employer.

STOL
11th Jan 2003, 00:38
In the UK I believe the only DHC6 TRTO is Richard Ashby who is CP of Isles of Scilly Skybus based at Lands end. The Twotters operate Bristol Newquay Lands End and I believe they are about to or have started Bournemouth + Southampton Routes ( Possibly Channel Islands as well) Cost. I don't think you will get a cheap rating?? I would think Canada would be the place to look.

good luck

Ciao for now

STOL

ChiefT
12th Jan 2003, 12:25
I might be able to help you. Please drop me a message
to [email protected]

There might be a cheap solution for you in Middle Europe.

Meatbomber
14th Jan 2003, 11:02
I think the situation in germany is teh same liek here in austria, where turbine powered a/c are considered "unuebliche bauart" thus requiring a type-rating

want to get into skydive ops Mr. Worry ?

Cheers
MB