View Full Version : I am Not a Number....

Scud-U-Like
31st Dec 2002, 00:07
I've just been having a gander at the New Year Honours. Why does the Army see fit to refer to other ranks by their service number, whilst the RN and RAF do not? It seems a backward, vulgar and inappropriate use of the numerical epithet.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=365429

SPIT
31st Dec 2002, 00:36
Further to the above, WHY do military personel (esp the ARMY) when they are sending messages back to UK always say MY NAME IS CPL or whatever his rank Cpl So & So. I would have thought the persons he is contacting have the nouse to know what his/he rank was and others are only interested in the name
??l:confused: :confused:
Happy and Safe New Year to EVERYONE

BlueWolf
31st Dec 2002, 03:29
We're all numbers, Scud....service numbers, national insurance numbers, drivers' licence numbers, registration numbers, phone numbers, inland revenue numbers, bank account numbers, club membership numbers, births, deaths, and marriages numbers, etc etc etc aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh.........

We even have a value number; if I recall correctly, the mineral composition of the human body is currently worth about $US 26 on the spot market.

"My name is [profession/social ranking/identification number] Citizen [initial/s] Bloggs..."

A Civilian
31st Dec 2002, 13:36
I wish I had a number that I could call my own. Nowadays im simply refered to as a resource. A thing to be bought, used up during the manufacturing process and discarded when depleted.

When you have a number they at least recognise you. When your a resource your just another commodity :mad: