PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Hewlett Packard calculator

Mr. Boeing
30th Dec 2002, 22:03
I am trying to obtain an HP32S. Apparently it is now out of production and there is no equivalent replacement. I have tried various shops and companies with no luck. Can anyone help me?

Pharcarnell
1st Jan 2003, 05:28
What do you want it to do? What is its main function, Engineering, Financial,???
I've had 2 very schmick HP's in the past for Electronic Engineering. The first lasted about 3 years then the leakproof batteries were'nt and eat it out internally, the second just faded into oblivion, probably working perfectly except you couldn't see what it was trying to say.

If you want a programmable calculator and you are going to do a LOT of the same calculation over and over, a palm top computer is a better bet and it will do more than just number crunch, in case you find you need something else done.

I like HP gear to work with, I use a lot of it, but, I've never had much joy from the calculators. Everything else though seems to be bullet proof and so it should be for the asking price.

Just my personal preferences and observations, but look for someone elses calculator.

Pharc

Mr. Boeing
2nd Jan 2003, 03:30
I've had HP calculators for the last 25 years with no dramas. I had a 32 but have lost it and they don't make them anymore. The best I can seem to get is one of those graphic calculators as they haven't replaced the 32. I liked the 32 and want to replace it with another one.

criticalmass
2nd Jan 2003, 06:55
Try local pawnshops, Cash Converters, secondhand shops etc. I found two HP 32S II calculators this way. One lives in my flight case, the other lives in the briefcase I take on my non-flying work.

I have owned HP45 (sold), HP34C (deceased), HP32E (still going), HP41CX (still going) and the two HP32S II and don't fancy owning any other brand of calculator.

Dunno what the current HP graphic units are like. Check out their website for details. Sorry, don't have URL for it though.

Mr. Boeing
3rd Jan 2003, 09:06
Okay. Thanks for that. Had a look at the graphics ones on the website but they appear to be a bit too big. I called HP and they couldn't tell me if the 32 was going to be replaced. All he had to say was that it was a very popular calculator and that anyone who wanted one would have realised and bought one before they stopped making them! Good customer service.

DeltaT
8th Jan 2003, 10:48
HP48S any good to you?
graphics, 32K built in (yes I know..., but it was good at the time)

Mr. Boeing
9th Jan 2003, 02:13
DeltaT, thanks for that but I bought a 49G yesterday. It's a bit sophisticated but it seems it will do the trick. One problem though. It's already stopped working! It won't turn on. Expecting a replacement soon.

ITCZ
10th Jan 2003, 07:36
Mr Boeing,

go and have a look at this one for all things HP (Calculator)

http://www.hpmuseum.org/

There is a classified section where you will be able to get ANYTHING that you need.

Unfortunately I sold my surplus 32S last year to fund a purchase of a 49G. I, like many former 'old school' RPN programmers, was VERY disappointed with the 49. Build quality was terrible, and it was not aimed at engineering or science users. It is a high school/early university 'learning colleague.' Lots of bells and whistles, lots of bitty routines that could be assembled into bigger problem solvers for a maths or stats undergraduate, but not the in-the-field tool the earlier HPs were.

HP slowly pruned the calculator operation to be offshore (Australia - the Australian Calculator Operation was the cheapest way to keep a calc program going, cheaper than Mexicans!) and is now a dead duck.

I guess I got the sh!ts when I couldn't put in all my old step by step programs.

If any HP41 diehards are interested, I have a few Great Circle programs (as used by CAA cartographers in the 80's) as listings as well as a couple of good Time/Distance/Fuel/Fuel Flow programs for in flight use.

After being burned by some not-too-solid 41 rebuilds, the 49 disaster, and the limitations of the 32s, I have reluctanltly switched to a Palm pocket device. At least it is supported!

Vale HP Calculator Operation!

Mr. Boeing
10th Jan 2003, 21:48
Thanks for that. I have arranged to swap the 49G for a 48GX. I'll give the website a go. Check this link about the 49G. Apparently the 48GX is a much better calculator.

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=3E1C1D0F.DEA850B6%40yahoo.com&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26group%3Dcomp.sys.hp4 8