PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts?.....

Trefdraeth
12th Oct 2001, 18:10
Fellow Ppruners,

Firstly, what a blinding site this is, it's been a source of information, inspiration, and often entertainment for me for a year or so. Mostly lurking, with a few late night posts. In view of the collective 'wisdom' on tap here, I ask for some opinions.

Here's the thing, I'm financialy secure, in as much as I'm potless - but don't have a mortgage anymore. At the tender age of 30, and after a few flying lessons. I decided that sitting behind a desk for the rest of my life wasn't for me and that I ought to chase my childhood dreams. So I stopped working, got my class 1 and proceeded to get my JAR PPL this summer in sunny Redhill. Plan was to crack on with the ATPL theory this winter at Guildhall, do the commercials next summer and take whatever life threw at me after that in my stride.

Then along came 11th September and knocked things sideways. Yesterday I was offered a little job in town paying me very good money on a 6 month contract. (No, I don't work in I.T.!)

Every sinew in my body wants to crack on with the flying as I'm one of those sad people that has a perpetual grin whilst I'm in the air (even grinned all the way through the flight test).

Given the recent posts about delaying training etc. and the conflicting advice. what would you do?? Take the 6 month contract, save every penny and see how the land lies in the spring, or do the ATPL's now and if necessary go back to work in the spring?

Yes, I know the topic has been posted to death, but I'd really like to hear some thoughs specific to my situation.

Yours, expecting to sink ingnominiously to the bottom of the stack....

:confused:

FlyingForFun
12th Oct 2001, 18:40
Trefdraeth,

Why not do similar to what I'm thinking of doing - take the contract, and work part time towards your ATPL. That way, once you get the license, the market will hoepfully have picked up again. And if not, while you're sending CVs off to airlines all day, you'll still have your old job to see you through until you get that first invitation to the right hand seat!

FFF
-----------

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Oct 2001, 18:59
Trefdraeth,

How much training were you planing on doing over the winter in the U.K.? If you are at the stage of hour building, it might be more difficult during the winter.

You can take the job and continue to study nights and over the weekends.

If you are serious about a career in flying, never stop studying. Always keep training and working towards your goal.

By the time you get to are ready for your frozen ATPL, the aviation market will have changed.

Hope I did not confuse the issue for you even more.

Sincerely,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil

<Whoop Whoop! Blatant Advertising Alert!!>

Richard - your sound advice and helpful posts are most welcome. They would be doubly welcome without the free advertising attached... Cheers, WWW

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: Wee Weasley Welshman ]

TheSilverFox
13th Oct 2001, 03:18
Trefdraeth.

Long time no talk.

Why don't you pop over for a coffee & a bacon sandwich one rainy morning at redhill and we could have a chat about your options.

( Not there next week, busy bouncing Tristars at Bournemouth!!)

Regards.

The Silver Fox.