PDA

View Full Version : New ME-262?

con-pilot
30th Dec 2002, 16:18
I just read that a “new” ME-262 has just been flown in Washington State. Apparently someone got an original Me-262 and copied it and built a new airplane. I don’t know what kind of engines it has. The project was started in 1993.

Anybody got any details?

Bus429
30th Dec 2002, 17:35
Read this
ME 262 (http://www.stormbirds.com/project/general/updates.htm)

SPIT
30th Dec 2002, 17:56
Hi Con-Pilot
Re the ME 262. there is a good little article in the FEB edition of FLYPAST MAG (on page 3).
If you have any probs their web is www.flypast.com . I do hope this will help you and a Happy New Year.
All the Best;) ;)

STANDTO
3rd Jan 2003, 19:18
what about the replica fw 190's?

FJJP
4th Jan 2003, 08:25
Pics of the Me262 first full flight:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/stormbirdrisingjg_1.htm

the wizard of auz
4th Jan 2003, 08:28
Still a horney looking airplane. :D

Jhieminga
6th Jan 2003, 12:03
The Flugwerk FW190s have not flown yet as far as I know. They are using a different approach though which differs from the ME262 assembly line. The FW190s are delivered as kits, which means that you'll be assembling and flight testing your own plane (or arranging for it to be flight tested). The first FW is still with the factory in the engine running phase but several kits have been delivered and are being assembled. All a bit different from the ME262s which will be delivered in airworthy state.

Flugwerk website (http://www.flugwerk.de)

ORAC
6th Jan 2003, 14:09
AW & ST:

The first of two reproduction Me262A jet fighters flew for 35 min. on Dec. 20 from Paine Field near Seattle.

Test pilot Wolfgang Czaia said the airplane was airborne after a takeoff run of 14 sec., lifting off at 110 kt. Czaia left the gear down during the flight as a safety precaution. "The airplane's handling qualities were excellent in all three axes, and I could trim the aircraft to fly straight and level hands-off," he said.

The Messerchmitt's aerodynamically operated inboard/outboard leading edge slats worked well, fully extending at 150 kt. and retracting fully at 165 kt., and there was minimum pitch change during flap extension/retraction, Czaia said.

Before returning to Paine Field, Czaia set up a 3-deg. glidepath at 140 kt. to check handling on final approach, slowly reducing airspeed and increasing angle of attack until the airplane stalled at 100 kt. "There was only a mild pitch-down at the stall break and I had good aileron control at the stall," he said.

For landing, Czaia flew the final approach with the airplane trimmed for 125 kt., slowly reducing power to touchdown at about 108 kt.

Czaia said the second flight is tentatively scheduled for late this week and will include retracting the landing gear. Future flights will expand the airplane's flight envelope slowly and focus on determining the Me262's critical Mach number, which is estimated to be Mach 0.82-0.90. The jet is powered by two GE J-85 turbojet engines each rated at 2,850 lb. static thrust.

Moneyshot
10th Jan 2003, 10:22
A fantastic aeroplane. And the design has still held good. Look at the wingplan and engine layout of the Boeing 737 100/200 and it doesn't take much imagination to see where they got the idea.

Philip Whiteman
10th Jan 2003, 15:03
Good design, until you lose an engine on take-off (anybody have a figure for the single-engine safety speed?) Many of the second-generation, postwar twin-engine jet fighters had their motors buried in the wing roots or fuselage, for this same reason.

However, what a fabulous project this has been and what a wickedly handsome machine!

Jhieminga
12th Jan 2003, 22:16
The engine philosophy on the new-build Me262s is actually quite interesting. They are using GE CJ-610 jets, the civil version of the engine that powers F-5s, which is considerably lighter and a bit more powerful than the original Jumo units. What they've done is encase the (also smaller) CJ-610 in a casing which brings the weight and CG of the engine up to the same values as for the Jumo, which means that you don't get any CG issues for the rest of the airplane. It has the added bonus of actually looking like a Jumo when you open the cowlings!
Now the CJ-610 is still a bit more powerful than the Jumo, to cater for this the throttles are fitted with a detent at the point at which the engines equal the Jumo's thrust rating. To get the full GE rated power out of the engine you can push the throttles to the full open position against a spring.
All this means that you can fly the aircraft just as if it was an original with similar weights and thrust ratings, but you can also push the throttles open against the springs and have a bit of extra push when you need it!

Moneyshot
15th Jan 2003, 10:46
What about the escape system. Not sure if the original had a primitive ejection seat. Maybe a modern system would be required in case you need to get out sharpish at high Mach number. What's it got?

Iron City
15th Jan 2003, 17:52
Believe the escape system is pop the canopy and jump for the trailing edge of the wing. Will look at the NASM 262 next time I'm over.

CoodaShooda
16th Jan 2003, 06:58
Read somewhere, a long time ago, that the Me 262 had a primitive, cartridge fired ejection seat. Can't remember the source unfortunately.
Doddy Hays' Man in the Hot Seat?:confused: