PDA

View Full Version : SA PPL in Australia/NZ and USA

Dakota Queen
30th Dec 2002, 11:09
Hi Folks

Ive tried asking this on the D&G and USA forums but got no replies.

2 Questions:

1. As someone who wants to travel after I complete my SA PPL can I hour build with it in the above regions??

2. Also what If I wanted to use it to add on ratings ie night, IR, conversions etc Is that possible too?

Thanking you

DQ

discobeast
30th Dec 2002, 20:06
yes, you will be able to hire and fly over in nz. all you need to do is have all your paperwork ready, do a BFR- test (flight test) and i think write airlaw again. then you got your ticket. let me know if you want more info. where are you thinking of going in nz?

NotWithoutMyGPS
31st Dec 2002, 19:32
Yep, yer maun Discobeast is bang on. Do remember that the conditions will be different to those in which you've learnt. There are two schools of thought on flying away from ones "usual conditions", viz.

i. As a "new" PPL you'll be willing to learn but lacking in experience (that'll be you.)

ii. As an experienced SA (or UK, USA et ceterae) PPL, you'll be an arrogant sod who does a chekie flight and cracks into a power line first time out. (That's not you, since you'll have about 50-60 hrs TT so you're in the former category).

Staistically, those in Group ii are a bloody menace. Every year in the UK we read about numerous prangs in MAY. It's the 50 hr PPL from Florida bagging his new mistress in his cheeky Cessna. Keep current and you're likely to be fine. In other words, when you go to NZ, directly after a PPL in SA. you'll be current. In fact, you'll still be dreaming about Jo'Burg Special Conditions and confidently telling the person next to you on the 747 that "George will be in charge be now"

btw doing a PPL is a great leveller. I'm an arrogant sod and a PPL made me more aware of my own faults. More sensitive and timid types become veritable tigers after their first inicipent spin.

Any road up. If you do a PPL you can go fly in NZ more or less straight away. And DONT worry about the medical at all. Really.

Dickus
(temporarily at liberty)

compressor stall
2nd Jan 2003, 06:22
http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/overbr.htm

Check out the Special Pilots Licence section. Designed for private pilots. And Australia is a fantastic place to hour build.

On the casa website above, there are all the regs and current airport docs on line too.

Good luck!

CS