PDA

View Full Version : Interesting HF freq's ???

661 KTAS
30th Dec 2002, 04:53
G'day People,

Does anyone know of any intersting HF frequencies that can be monitored to break up the bordem on a long flight ?

I have 2xHF and the second unit just sits there looking silly while im bored.

Any ideas ?!?

Thanks

*Lancer*
30th Dec 2002, 05:30
Have you tried Radio Australia, Voice of America, or the BBC? Frequencies and times are all published on the net

Still looking for decent music :D

Lancer

pullock
30th Dec 2002, 08:34
There's heaps of good stuff to listen to on HF, if u r interested, the SMA (spectrum management authority) website has databases of spectrum allocation that you can check out.

www.sma.gov.au

Amateur radio allocations can be interesting as well, if u are really really bored. www.vkham.com has these, and others. The links off these sites may be interesting as well.

Good Luck.

mauswara
31st Dec 2002, 10:24
Try "MAC Centre"(Mcmurdo Station) on 5726,8998 or 11256 good luck, maus.

18-Wheeler
1st Jan 2003, 02:00
See if you can find the frequencies for Stockholm Radio - They do an amazing amount of odd-jobs for people all around the world.
We occasionally use them to report departure times & stuff.

compressor stall
1st Jan 2003, 12:45
I have a print out of international radio frequencies by UTC time in my nav bag for long flights. Cannot remember the URL, but I did a search on google for short wave frequencies or the like.

For REALLY long flights, I start at a random frequency and go up freq by freq in the hope of finding something interesting.

Some bizarre things out there from Burmese political propoganda to Turkish news about a Japanese grant to build a new bridge.

9770 is Voice of America. A listen to that explains a lot as to why they think the way they do

:eek:

CS

Turbulent Eddy
1st Jan 2003, 23:37
Trying to get a response from flightwatch (in the NT) on HF just after the flight service changes a couple of years ago was interesting enough!:rolleyes:

Seriously though, as Stallie said there would be lots of lists of shortwave freqs around, it would just be a matter of finding them.