View Full Version : PPL - How Long

black olive
17th Aug 2001, 19:33
I want to get a PPL 1) because I'd love to be able to fly, and 2) I'm ready for a career change and to see if I should go for the dream. I read on the BALPA site that a PPL in the UK will take 6 -12 months, what if I was available full time? I'm considering the US due to cost and time.
1. How long should a PPL take in the UK full time?
2. Where do you sit the PPL exams in the UK (as most recommend) before going out for the flying? and how long to study before, roughly?
3. If I get a PPL can I then jump into an integrated course, eg BAE?

davebuckley
17th Aug 2001, 21:59
Black Olive

Hi

PPL could take as little as three weeks in the UK, and Pool Avialtion have been highly regarded in this area by colleague. Trouble is its hard to plan in the UK cause you can't tell what the wx is doing next.

Also, if you havn't already, speak to your local flying school. Being at home, and earning a wage will often offset the savings of going to the states. I am also a strong believer in learning in the UK, if you intend to fly in the UK - because of the changeable weather and often complex airspace. (Relevent if you intend hours building in the UK and it can be cost effective if you go the homebuilt route)

If you are aiming purely at a commercial licence. doing the PPL in the US is probably fine, ( and you can plan your time more accurately if you head for the sunny states), because after you've done the CPL- GFT bits over here you WILL be up to speed with UK wx and airspace ! (May take you slightly longer though, and at a more expensive hourly rate for commercial training)

Good Luck

MDS

Ps (drop me an e-mail if you want my more libelous opinions !)

clear prop!!!
18th Aug 2001, 11:56
Hi,

Firstly if you intend to do an integrated course, forget doing a PPL first. You get little or no credit in terms of training hours, and you might pick up habits that the integrated school wish to train you out of (even good ones)! By all means go and do a few hours to see if you really like flying, but stop there.

If however you choose the modular route, there is no reason not to do your PPL in the States if you are in a hurry. Again do your first few hours here, allow 4 weeks ,avoid the factory schools and allow for a few more hours here when you return. You could do it in the same over here if you are lucky, but, one word…WEATHER! Yes, if you could guarantee the weather you would be much better to do all your training here. You need to fly regularly to do your PPL quickly as continuity of flying makes a big difference.

Good luck

black olive
18th Aug 2001, 13:47
Thanks for the comments and advice!