PDA

View Full Version : AOL Problem can't use links.

KwikPhix
29th Dec 2002, 18:44
using windows 98.
I have a problem when browsing using AOL 7.0. I can get onto the page/website that I am after , but am then unable to use any links on that page. Basically the page goes blank and nothing happens ie The new page that I'm after doesn't open. Do any of you guys have any idea of which simple thing I am not doing properly ?

I'd just like to add that this only happens with certain sites, for example if I click on any of the links on this page , eg; search, FAQ, etc then these work. If I click onto one of the banner ads then the screen just stays blank.

brockenspectre
29th Dec 2002, 19:26
here in the UK and have to say I don't have problems with links (unless they are bad links and then everyone in a thread has the same problem). Have you got a firewall set high? Otherwise, if you haven't emptied your browser cache recently that might be one reason (although you shouldn't then be able to open any websites!). When was last time you scanned disk and defragmented?

ScanDisk/Defrag/Empty cache are all good things to do routinely (on a weekly basis even) if you are browsing the 'net on a daily basis.

To empty AOL's browser cache go to Start - Programs - AOL - AOL System Information - Click the Utilities Tab - select Empty Browser Cache.

Also, the only time I had problems with loading web-pages I was recommended to uninstall/reinstall the AOL Adaptor (the AOL interface to the web).

To do this go to Start - Programs - AOL - AOL System Information - Click the Utilities Tab - select Uninstal AOL Adaptor. When you restart AOL it will reload the programs from the programs directory. Very simple (much more so than in the early days of AOL!!).

Hope this helps.

:D