PDA

View Full Version : Sheraton Roma

Colosseo
29th Dec 2002, 16:04
Merry Christmas And A Happy New Year!
By the way, I'll be night stopping Rome in late January and the
airline I work for puts up the crew at the Sheraton Roma.
Is there anybody out there who could enlighten me on the
locality ie. restaurants, bars, shopping, etc.
Cheers!

Marcellus Wallace
30th Dec 2002, 03:11
Good food near the hotel at "Antica Posta". I have not been for a couple of years now, but colleagues who have say it's still there.

Leave the hotel lobby, walk out to the main road - i.e. under a overpass, hang a right and walk along the road under another overpass, then up a small incline. After which you will cross a small bridge across a railway track. At the end of the bridge - there will be a small path in the bushes - walk down along the path and you will end up right at the side parking of the establishment.

Lots of crew have their meals there, QF,JAL,MH etc.

"Buon Appetito"

BlueEagle
30th Dec 2002, 03:43
Can endorse what Marcus W. has said.

The rooms are a bit basic but otherwise OK. The bar is quite interesting, reasonable draft beer too. Prices commensurate with Italy/Sheraton!

If you feel like a small hike; out of the front entrance and up to the road, cross VERY CAREFULLY under the overpass, turn left and walk round a sports field, road continues up a hill, continue to top (a few hookers, male and female frequent this hill, usually in cars - they don't bother you - just cruising!), then down hill to bottom, some cafes, bars, retaurants left and right, supermarket on right just before bottom. If you turn right at bottom there is a Chinese along on the right!
Shops all over the place in this area. Have fun;)

P.S. Almost forgot, enroute from airport to hotel suggest you close your eyes - all the drivers are Formula One Wannabees with all the speed and none of the skills!:(

Sick Squid
30th Dec 2002, 11:18
Can back up the recommendation on the Antica Posta, even though it's been a fair few years since I passed the portals of that Sheraton. Didn't like the hike to it, mind you, with plenty of lurking menacing teenagers in the vicinity, but the Antipasti was superb....

£6

Colosseo
3rd Jan 2003, 12:55
Much oblige for your contribution gentlemen.
By the way, just heard a rumour about a flight crew who lost
his luggage while checking in sometime just before Christmas.
Apparently it happened in the lobby, right under his nose.
He must be really fatigue. From what I hear, it was an MH crew.
It must be one heluva bad trip.
I guess I'll be extra cautious when I get there.

SuperRanger
6th Jan 2003, 07:41
I can confirm the lost nav bag at the lobby. belongs to a colleague of mine! lost his passport, licence, notebook, pda, the whole works. not a pleasant experience at all. he's now grounded pending new issue of passport.

there was a FA who lost a whole check-in bag, also at the lobby, a few years ago. so my advise, and also to your crew, watch you bags like a hawk!

SR

Oops, forgot to post about the hotel.

Besides Antica Posta, do check out "La Convento". Along the Antica Posta road, just keep going (watch the tarffic!!) for about 1-2km (15mins walk), it's on your right up a slope. Very nice setting, restaurant run by Franciscan Monks.

There is a small township call Eur nearby (bout 20mins walk) where you can find McDonalds, supermarkets, restaurants, bars, etc. The hotel provides shuttle on an hourly basis from Hotel to City. It also passes by Eur, so you can hitch a ride on the shuttle. Don't forget to collect your shuttle ticket from the conceirge.

If this is your first time to Rome, may I suggest you NOT partonise any of those 'fast food' places next to 'tourisy' places like Tre Di Fontana, Spanish Steps, Colossuem or Vatican. Even if you do, make sure your check the prices first. A quick bite could cost you double a full course dinner in a nice restaurant!!

Hope this helps...

SR

Colosseo
8th Jan 2003, 13:21
Hi SR

It sure did.

Thanks a MILLION mate !!!;)