PDA

View Full Version : Allowances

liquidhockey
28th Dec 2002, 22:22
Hi

I have been told that you get allowances as Cabin crew, is this where you are paid (for example) £2.50 per hour from the time you sign in for work til the time you sign out, even if you are staying abroad for a couple of days?

I am talking about Britannia in particular but i thought it was the same idea for all charter airlines?

Cheers in advance

Dave

TightSlot
29th Dec 2002, 09:55
Correct (for Britannia, although not at that precise rate) - it is however taxable, and not quite nirvana. There are variations from airline to airline.

DEH
29th Dec 2002, 14:50
Hi

With regards to allowances at JMC we are paid £2.38 an hour. Not as high as some but certainly better than a lot. European on £1.50 an hour I think...................poor souls!

We also get £10 an hour for"dead-heading"( postioning after a duty) and £50 to work a day off, if your that inclined.

Cheers

"Long live the Dog":)

liquidhockey
29th Dec 2002, 19:50
Ok thanks for the helpful replies.

Does anyone know what the rate is for Britannia and the benefits of dead heading and working days off, like in DEHs' post??

Thanks again

Dave

TightSlot
29th Dec 2002, 20:20
Yes - They will be clearly laid out in the T & C's in your contract.

idgas
30th Dec 2002, 19:40
Britannia allowances are paid from scheduled report to chocks + 10 minutes @ £2.49 per hour. This includes all the time you are away from base even on a trip. The exception being training duties. Any trip time spent in a hotel will also include a “breakfast/food” allowance. This amount varies from hotel to hotel and can sometimes be taken off your bar bill. It cannot be converted into cash. No payment per say for dead heading just normal allowances.

Allowances are taxed at a different rate from normal and less again for long haul trips. I cannot remember exactly what the rate is.

Working on a day off at the company’s request is £125, but nothing if it is a roster swap. The day off will also be replaced.

Cheers, :cool:

Floaty
30th Dec 2002, 22:09
ciao liquidhockey!

sorry for the other night, i got booted out of the chat!

i think only around 30 % of your allowances are subject to taxes, since 70 % should actually represent the duty allowance you perceive overseas, therefore "tax free". This does not mean that your allowance is taxed 30 %!! It means only 30 % has to be declared!

As far as i know, this is T&C with Easyjet.

Take care and good luck!

Mrs. FloatJockey :D

Tiger
31st Dec 2002, 08:27
Tax on allowances depends very much on which tax office your employer uses.

Southend tax office didn`t tax allowances at all.
BA crews pay up to 41% on allowances
BM/ KLM UK sorted out a deal one year where tax was 26% on allowances. There tax offices said if a deal was not sorted out we would get taxed at 100%. This was because the tax office wanted to tax BM/ KLM UK crews the same as BA crews at 41%. BM cabin crew were on £1.07 an hour at the time!