PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Java

AerBabe
28th Dec 2002, 10:36
I'm on a loan laptop at the moment, running Windows XP Pro (yeuch), and Internet Explorer.
It tells me I need to download and install Java virtual machine, so I click on 'Download', and it says "We're sorry. The page you are viewing requires that you have a more recent version of the Microsoft Virtual Machine on your system. To obtain an updated version of the Microsoft Virtual Machine, please go to Windows Update." So I go there, and wait for the security pop-ups to finish.

Next it offers to "scan for updates", then to "review and install updates". But when finally offered my updates, they're mostly security ones, and none mentions Virtual Machine, or Java :confused:

Yes, I have cleared my cache ;)

RadarContact
28th Dec 2002, 11:37
Try here (http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html).

Good luck.

AerBabe
28th Dec 2002, 13:16
Well... it looks promising... but I've started the download, and the remaining time counter is going up :eek: About 10 minutes ago it said 3 h 12 min, then it shot up to 3 h 20 min, and now it's hovering around 3 h 14 min. Closing all other windows makes no difference. This can't be normal.... any thoughts as to what might be going wrong?

BOAC
28th Dec 2002, 13:42
Which version of IE, Aerbabe? If it is older than 4 then update it as the later versions have the updated Java thingy (technical term). IE 6 is available FREE on many Computer mag cover discs.

AerBabe
28th Dec 2002, 13:55
Sorry, I forgot to say... it's version 6. In which case, why doesn't it have the Java Jobby? Oh well, 2 h 21 min remaining now :rolleyes:

RadarContact
28th Dec 2002, 15:06
Well I've tried the link myself and it says something about 5 mins, which I expect is normal for a DSL connection. So the problem doesn't seem to be on their side (server lag, etc.).

I assume you're working on 56K, but still it shouldn't take longer than 30 mins...

Evo
28th Dec 2002, 15:22
Sorry, I forgot to say... it's version 6. In which case, why doesn't it have the Java Jobby?

To cut a long story very short, Microsoft hates Java.

AerBabe
28th Dec 2002, 15:31
Well, whatever was wrong it's sorted now! 1.5 hours into the 3.5 hour download I got disconnected. After I reconnected, Java downloaded within 30 mins, so now I have free access to online journals through my university, and no excuse not to write the introduction to my thesis.

Damn it, why are you all so helpful??? :p

RadarContact
29th Dec 2002, 18:22
Damn it, why are you all so helpful???

"She who steps upon the path of inquisitiveness should be wary where her steps may take her..." ;)

Tinstaafl
29th Dec 2002, 21:09
I say unto thee: Seek knowledge. Or go for a beer.