View Full Version : Before I start - a few questions

Curious Pax
17th Aug 2001, 18:13
Having worked in the IT industry for 12 years or so I have reached the conclusion that flying for a living would be much more fulfilling - it is unlikely to be for the money, as making such a late start (I am 35) I wouldn't expect to quite catch up with where I am now in real terms before I retire! However attractive going off to Jerez for 12 months or so is, I have a wife with a well paid job, and a young son and mortgage to support, and so the modular ATPL route would seem to be the only viable route for me, as it looks as if I could stick with my current job for at least some of the time. They are also open to deals such as 4-day working, or a 6 months leave of absence which may be useful down the line. I therefore have a few questions that you may be able to offer an opinion on:

I don't have a PPL, so that would be the first hurdle. Given all the above, a move from my base 20 miles southwest of Manchester isn't an option, so the nearest flying schools for a PPL look to be Chester, Lancashire Aero Club (Barton) or Ravenair (Liverpool) - anyone know any others, or have an opinion on those 3?
Once the PPL hurdle is cleared, I would imagine doing an ATPL via distance learning will prove to be the best route in my situation - who would you recommend for that?
Can any of you who have tried this route give me feedback on how it went, and how long you would expect to take between starting a PPL and doorstepping airlines? And at what point would it become untenable to continue with my current employment?

Thanks for any help........

pjdj777
17th Aug 2001, 18:45
Actually, if you're serious about this, then a class 1 medical has to be your first hurdle. Get in touch with Gatwick and book yourself in - no point in going any further until you've got that done.

I can thoroughly recommend Clive Hughes' book "Guide to getting a professional pilots license", and read it cover to cover a few times just to see what this all entails.
http://www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk

I did it all while working, under the CAA system so yours would be slightly different.

I did the PPL on the weekends (took 11 months due to the lovely UK Wx)

Went of to the States to build some hours, do a multi rating and some night flying.

Did the ATPL writtens by correspondance course (Thanks Bristol!! :) )

Then did a BCPL followed by an approved CPL/IR upgrade a bit later on.

It took me three years altogether, throughout which I was constantly building hours and studying. Considering I have two jobs as well it was knackering, and I passed most stuff first time too, so it could've taken longer.

I've only just done an MCC course though, so perhaps we could say a little longer than three years.

I would say the work has to go once you get into the commercial license stuff - I took my paid leave for the BCPL (three weeks - JAA CPL will be more like 5 weeks) and unpaid leave for the CPL/IR (13 weeks), for these courses you really do need to be on top of your game, doing it part time isn't going to work unless your very experienced or very very good.

I understand that nowadays the "distance learning" part of the training is likely to take a full year as well, don't forget there's a mandatory class room element for this.

I have not as yet done an FI course and am concentrating on building multi hours, so you may want to factor that in as well if you intend instructing at all.

All the best, it ain't easy but you will enjoy it.

window-seat
18th Aug 2001, 00:14
Curious Pax,

I live not to faraway from yourself. This time last year I was looking to do my PPL and looked at most of the alternatives. In most cases (appart from the states), the likely cost was to be around £5K or £6K. I had also decided, having had a trial lesson at MSF (manchester Int) that I did'nt want to be paying for waiting around on the taxiways for commercial traffic every lesson, but I did want to fly from a decent tarmach strip.

Getting to the point, it may be worth a look at Welshpool Flying School. Now before you poo-poo the idea, yes it is a good hours drive away, but if you can get a few days off at a time, there is decent accomodation for £8 per night, where you can study with the other students and go for a pint in the local. :D

Personally, I found the school perfect, and I spent 6 consecutive weeks there. I would have been done in five, but the weather turned bad in the last couple of weeks. The students tend to end up in a small groups, all studying together and helping each other out.

The Area is fantastic for training with a huge area of unrestricted airspace and the scenery stunning (though lots of sheep)! The school has a large fleet of PA-38 Tomahawks, a PA-28 Warrior and a F22. The tomahawks are purpose built trainers which to be fair, most people dont like because they can be a handfull, but hay, if you can master these, a PA-28 is childsplay!

I had a great time, made lots of new friends, passed all my exams first time, and came away with my PPL after 50 hrs, at a very reasonable cost of £3500.00 all in! can't say fairer than that. I still fly from there on a regular basis. Have a look www.poolaviation.co.uk (http://www.poolaviation.co.uk)

I am now looking forward to my integrated ATPL in Jerez. Here we go again :rolleyes:

Best of luck.

(e-mail me if you want more info)

Delta Wun-Wun
18th Aug 2001, 02:30
In the same position as yourself.36yrs,married, kids etc.PPL completed and 1/4 of the way through Distance Learning.
Class 1 first,then save up and do your PPL as intensively as you can manage,you should complete in less hours then.Distance learning is a big commitment.I am studying 3 to 4 hours a day.Days off are full time study days,so I hope your wife is good at DIY.That is another thing...be totally honest with your wife of what this all entails,you will need her support.Allow 3 to 4 weeks for your CPL depending on how and where you go.Allow at least 4 to 5 for the IR.Use any hour building to practise for the CPL/IR.And before you ask...No it doesn`t make sense and yes you are crackers for even thinking of it!! :D :D Good Luck. ;)

Curious Pax
20th Aug 2001, 13:17
Thanks for the info so far - my copy of the Clive Hughes should arrive today or tomorrow. As it is a bit late in the year to be starting a PPL for weather reasons - I doubt I could complete it before the winter starts - I plan on getting going in about March. All being well I hope to be finished by the autumn, and then get on to the more intensive stuff. At least that gives me 6 months or so from now to plan properly for it all. An additional question - I am off to Florida on holiday just after Easter, and although doing a full PPL during that trip isn't an option, I may be able to spend 2-3 days flying. However as (I guess) I will be in the fairly early stages of getting a PPL is there any benefit to taking the chance of doing a few hours for a bit less than normal, or will time with a different instructor and different environment (and maybe even a different aircraft type) at that stage be counter productive? If it is a good idea, can anyone recommend a school in the Orlando/Kissimmee area?

Lawyerboy
20th Aug 2001, 18:48
I'm in much the same position, if just a tad younger. I'm 28, in a successful and well paid career in the City, but I'd much rather be sitting at the pointy end of an airliner.

I have a mortgage and a wife and jacking it all in for a full time ATPL isn't an option, so it's down to finishing off my PPL as soon as I can (probably by next Spring), then ATPL theory by correspondence, CPL and onwards.

Whilst I realise that it means an awful lot of hard work and a considerable amount of committment - after all, I'll be studying after I've already done a full day's work - as pjdj777 said, I think I'll enjoy it. The decision to actually go ahead and do it is only one I've taken in the past week or so, and the feeling of release and sheer joy at finally getting off my arse and doing something is enough to convince me that I'm doing the right thing.

Good luck - who knows, in a few years we might be sharing an office at 30,000 ft :D .

BmPilot21
21st Aug 2001, 01:02
Air Nova at Hawarden nr. Chester are very good (if they still exist). Straight down the M56, tomahawks and arrows. Try 0151 2884600.

What about going to the states for a couple of months? Much cheaper and get it done in one block - no frustrations with weather etc.

Flyer magazine publish a clubs and schools guide - might be worth getting it via a back copy.

Pandora
21st Aug 2001, 13:50
I would recommend Barton. Apart from the CFI, all the instructors who were there when I did my PPL now have jobs flying, and will be happy to give you their pearls of wisdom over a drink in the bar. There is a good social atmosphere and the club has so many members it is possible to form your own study groups and use the classrooms there for whatever stage you are at. There are various group aircraft for when you have got your PPL (start it now, by the way, no time like the present) and it is easy to buy and sell a share in a C150 or PA28. There were even shares knocking about in a Chipmunk, Vagabond, Slingsby or Pitts, if thats your thing. The field is very close to Manchester Int'l so if you want to brush up on your R/T or just listen in as you fly down the low-level route MAN ATC are a helpful lot who will humour you if they are not too busy.

For distance learning, I can't recommend any one company, but for a brush up course and help with the question styles, Pete Lines at Coventry is your man. (Several OATS students on the full time course went to his revision sessions and said they were well worth risking the wrath of OATS).

Good luck whichever way you do it.