View Full Version : Universities

28th Dec 2002, 00:05
Does anybody no of a uni where u can do ur PPL and ground school.
Or for that matter any aviation studies for the pilot wannabes?

28th Dec 2002, 13:43
Pick up a UCAS guide and look under Aeronautical/Aerospace type degrees, and you'll find a mix of 3 and 4 year BEng/MEng courses around the country. Also there are several more specialist Airline Management type courses in some places, I believe London Guildhall (?) do one.
On the PPL side, most if not all Universities are associated with a University Air Squadron, which offers free flying along with military type activities and experience. Definitely worth researching.
I am starting an MEng in Aerospace Engineering at the Uni of Bath in September 2003. It's a lovely place and I recommend you stick it on your application form and go have a look around there.
Best of Luck,

MS :)

28th Dec 2002, 14:13
Thanx for that and il look into it,.

28th Dec 2002, 14:27
Cranfiled University has an MSc in Air Transport Management which is very good. It is expensive, but the course is well designed and you geta good exposure in all areas like airline ops/atc/airport management a well as core subjects like aircraft engineering and airline finance and marketing. Electives inclide forecasting /aircraft engineering/marketing as well as safety and
airport management.With a student teacher ratio of 3 :1 and a first class library with free access to most databases including RATI, the facilities are hard to beat. You can also do your PPL at the same time separately with schools like Cabair being based here (the airport is next door to the university buildings).
Good value for money, and you get a truly international character (our class of 30+ has students from 20 countries).

Perfect PFL
28th Dec 2002, 15:54
As someone already mentioned, going to a University with a UAS affiliated to it is a very good way of getting some great flying experience.

If it's just a PPL you want to do then your best bet is just to go to a uni with a flying club nearby and do your PPL there.

I went to Nottingham Uni (96 - 99) and joined the UAS for the 3 years I was there. I did about 110hours of brilliant flying, and had a great 3 years with the UAS, so I'll really recommend going that way. The UAS is aimed at people who want to fly for the RAF though.

28th Dec 2002, 19:04
Try the University of Leeds / Leeds Flying School - BSc in aviation Technology including PPL.

29th Dec 2002, 12:49
I have a bit of a problem with threads like this, as they do not fit the profile of this forum as set out in the 'sticky' post at the top of the forum. Neither universities nor PPLs are really proper topics of discussion here; there are better places for both subjects - in the case of PPLs, it's Private Flying right here on Pprune. For those who feel that's a bit unfair, where would you have us draw the line? To take it to an extreme, should we allow discussions on what types of car or toaster you should buy just because you are a Wannabe?!

I'll leave the thread open because I'm interested in the views that you might have to my comments. I make no promises to change anything, though ;)

Virgin/Wannabes Moderator
[email protected]<hidden>

29th Dec 2002, 14:39
While I agree with your comments, the fact remains that when we are discussing uniersities here in PPRUNE we are talking about those relevant to aviation and not something like an Msc on "High Voltage Engineering". Universities and courses dealing with aviation related topics are so few and spreadout that getting impartial information (and I am not talking about the universities websites here which ofcourse will always be "numero uno, we are" language ), is quite difficult.
I am in Cranfield, and when I was in the process of making a decision whether to invest in coming here (and it costs quite a lot for people like me who are from outside the EU), the information I got from PPRUNE on my course was very helpful.
While Wannabes may not be the thread to post these types of questions in, I still feel that there has to be a place somewhere for these as thiswill be of use to a lot of people.


Tree Greens
29th Dec 2002, 16:46
Here's my tuppence worth....

I wouldn't go into aero engineering with the idea of it increasing your chances of being successful on an atpl course or becoming sponsored to do one. Many people become dissillusioned rather quickly-and find that aero engineering has much less to do with aircraft and much more to do with the engineering side of things.

It will only be until you get to your final year where you will have more scope for selecting which subjects you would prefer to study in greater depth and can also select an aero related final year project. Many pilot wannabes soon realise the limited amount of aero topics in the foundation years of the course-which becomes all too apparent when you are sitting banging your head against the desk in Control Theory lectures where the only reference you hear to aviation in hours of lectures is a 5 minute reference to its use for damping in autopilots!

I would suggest that if you want to go to uni, study something that you are really interested in and join the uni air squadron or find a uni with a good gliding club-or if you dont happen to be too hard up then get your ppl whilst you are studying.

Aero engineering is a great degree if you want to become an aeronautical engineer or go into engineering but not as useful or as helpful as you might think if you want a career as a pilot-afterall they teach you more than you will ever be able to remember on the tech side of things in atpl groundschool.


Perfect PFL
29th Dec 2002, 17:08
I guess it depends how you phrase a question about PPLs or Universities as to whether it is really relevant on wannabes (in my opinion). This particular question, I'd agree with you, doesn't seem to fit in with this forum really. However, people might ask other questions like "would a PPL be useful to me when I go for airline sponsorship selection?" or "which University or degree would look best on my CV?", which perhaps would be appropriate here?

Problem I see with banning such topics from this forum is, no matter whether this is the correct place to ask, this is the place you get the best answers. I don't know about the other people on who use pprune, but I only really read the wannabes forum, and occasionally look at a couple of others. Probably a fairly large number of people who read wannabes are people who have recently been through university / currently at uni / just about to go, and a fairly large number of people have probably fairly recently done PPLs, just doing them. Therefore you're going to get the best answers to these questions on here.

I agree though that you do have to limit the amount of subjects that can be discussed on here, afterall, we're reading this to find out about subjects that interest us - that's why I read wannabes rather than other forums, and we don't want to have to look through a load of irrelevant messages to find the relevant ones.

By the way, I'm thinking of buying a new car soon, which model do you think would make the best impression when turning up for my next sponsorship interview? :D

Genghis the Engineer
30th Dec 2002, 09:39
Personally I think that "engineering career" issues should be posted to "Engineers and Technicians", but that's just me.

In this sort of case it's far from straightforward. What we have is clearly a wannabe, he just isn't entirely clear than an ATPL is what he wants-to-be. Well that's fair, who was really that certain at the age of 16 or 17 which what I assume our poster is. So, I think Scroggs, you'll have to put up with a certain amount of this - although moving pure engineer wanabee questions over to the Engineers forum would do no harm. I don't think it belongs in the private flying forum, where the conversation is generally far more to do with the fine detail of operating PPL type aircraft.


In England or Wales a first degree is generally a Batchelors, that is BEng, BSc or BA (Batchelor of Engineering, Batchelor of Science or Batchelor of Arts); in most cases this will take 3 years. An MA or MSc is then a 1 year specialist course after a batchelors (or longer part time). An MEng is a straight-off 4 year first degree in Engineering, insisted upon by the Engineering council for the current requirements to become a Chartered Engineer - that is a full "license" to practice as an Engineer, rather than technician.

An 18 year old leaving school will almost certainly only be able to register for an MEng or a Batchelors degree. In your case, which I assume is of an established professional a 1 year Masters degree - in practice probably 3 years part time, is almost certainly open to you at any British university. What you need to do is talk to the actual university and they will probably be happy to select you on a combination of interview, professional experience, and possibly some kind of entrance exam.

From what you've said about your position, I think that a Cranfield or City MSc is open to you, but you should contact the university directly about the requirements.

Regarding the two universities, both are very good but I'd recommend looking to Cranfield first because it is a specialist aviation university, rather than a good university offering specialist courses, which is what City is.


Master Yoda
30th Dec 2002, 14:13
London Guildhall Uni (now London Metropolitan uni does many aviation courses including PPL ground studies, here's they're website.


And Scroggs, this thread is part of the future of Pilot Training for some. deleting these posts is unjustified, Wannabes means people who use this site to get as much info as possible in becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot.

1st Jan 2003, 15:19
Embry Riddell University in AZ and FL USA do many aeronautical degrees where the study of Pilots Licenses and associated ratings etc gain credit towards your degree.

PS The Rowenta Model 1200 is a superb toaster.

1st Jan 2003, 15:36
OK, just as a reminder, this forum is dedicated to relevant information for those either in the process of obtaining a professional flying licence, or their first professional employment as a pilot. Whilst the choice of university courses is of interest to many would-be pilots, it isn't necessarily intrinsic to the processes of getting a licence or an airline job. Whether a post on such a subject is allowed to remain will largely depend on the way it is phrased. For instance, asking 'would such-and-such a course help me with my ATPL studies' would be relevant and reasonable; 'what is the best university' would not.

As Genghis states, if you're interested in engineering and are considering it as a career, there's a whole forum full of people at 'Engineers and Technicians' waiting to offer you advice. Similarly, if your interest is in obtaining a PPL, then 'Private Flying' is the place to go.

Rob's post was borderline, so I let it stay - but one or two of the early replies threatened to take the thread outside the remit of this forum, so I made my point early. And, as you can see, the thread is still here. But, Master Yoda, if I decide it goes - it goes. End of story.

Virgin/Wannabes Moderator
[email protected]<hidden>

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1