PDA

View Full Version : Work for a fresh CPL (IR?) holder end of 2003

spitfire747
27th Dec 2002, 18:03
Hi all, apologies if this has been done to death before on this forum. I am mid way through my JAA ATPL ground exams at the moment with a view to gaining the CPL in May/June 2003.
I was looking into the possibility of working in Africa for a year, for the experience more than anything.

What i wanted to know was:

* What is the type of work available for a fresh CPL (150hrs)
* Would it be a good idea to get an IR rating
* Where would i look to find any vacancies

Thanks for any help

Best Wishes for the New Year

Spitfire747:D :D :D

George Tower
27th Dec 2002, 20:59
Hi there Spitfire

There's plenty more knowledgable folk on here that will answer your question better than I can but I'm not sure if you would be considered in any commercial operation without an IR even in the bush most of which is VFR of course.

Given that you are involved with the JAR syllabus I'm just wondering if you knew that they had changed the rules regarding the IR course which used to be a mandatory 55 hours costing something like £13K. Now if you have an ICAO IR its only a 15 hour conversion upto 10 of which can be in a sim.

For about 30,000 Rand (approx £2K) you can get a SA (ICAO) IR which will then make you more employable in Africa and when you go back to the UK you will only have to do the shortened cheaper conversion. May be this is something to consider. It should also make you a better pilot. Anyway its just a thought.

spitfire747
28th Dec 2002, 12:41
Hi George Tower

Thanks for your info, where abouts in Africa do they offer the SA IR as you quoted ? Do you know if you can add it on to a JAA CPL ?? or would you need to do the SA PPL,CPL etc

Cheers Spitty

George Tower
28th Dec 2002, 17:45
Hi there Spitty

I think you will get the answers you need from the South Africa CAA, website www.caa.co.za

If you have all the JAR ATPL exams I think you will be credited in SA with them except for airlaw and may be ops and procedures. You will need to the relevant flight tests to fly ZS regsitered aircraft.

As for the IR you can get quotes from the following schools in Cape Town. I will give all three web addresses lest i be seen to be advertising.

Cape Areo Club - www.capeaeroclub.co.za

Good Hope flying club - www.ghfc.org.za

Delta 200 flying school - www.delta200.co.za

ther are good schools in Port Elizabeth and also there is the well known 43 Air school at Port Alfred as well as plenty of schools up country but in my view Cape Town is the best place to be.

carb
5th Jan 2003, 23:13
So... for a British citizen with a fresh JAA CPL (200hrs or so) and, say, a South African IR, is it possible to find entry-level work in any African states?