PDA

View Full Version : NZ CPL School Choice?

UK-Kiwi
27th Dec 2002, 17:53
Hi team,

Complete novice here so apologies for obvious stupidity.

I've spent the last few years in the UK working in IT and traveling around as is the norm for many kiwis. I'm now at the point of deciding what to do when I grow up :)

I'm looking at a complete career change and getting my CPL. It's not completely blind as I spent my teens in the ATC, solo in gliders and about 10 hours power.

Having looked around the web I've a few questions to ask humans.

Schools that offer employment post graduation?
I've heard that in the current NZ scene this is critical.

CBT training?
I've seen a couple of schools use Simuflight Wings course, what's the reputation of this, and CBT in general? Personally I know I work well from interaction with a person, I'm a great one for asking why (althought being in the IT industry CBT is not a problem for me). However I'm in the situation of being able to pay for and support myself while training in one hit without needing to find work, so CBT might be a lot more efficient for me?

Location?
Not real estate, but controlled, uncontrolled, international traffic etc. I assume you don't want all of one, ie too controlled at an international airport where you waste money being put into holding patterns during your circuit training?

Schools?
I know a lot of this must come down to personal choice, but I've a few recormended, Hastings, Kapiti, Wanganui, Southern Wings, Air Wakatipu.
Kapiti I'm familar with, being a Wellington fella, and can imagine itäs a good flying location. Queenstown I love, two years ago I decided I needed an excuse to move there and wondered what the IT work was like.
I guess with a first browse, Air Wakatipu seems like a good choice, they are in a mix traffic environment, varied flying environment, activly plan to provide some employment support, and plenty of commercial work in the area.

I'm heading home for a holiday in 1-2 months time, hence coming into the forum to get some thoughts and advice so I can go and check a couple of places out (in addition to doing the medical so I know I'm not wasting my time).

I know there's a lot of questrions here, any bit replys still much appreciated.

Cheers and thanks.

nzer
27th Dec 2002, 20:48
Anywhere is OK EXCEPT the Massey University School of aviation" - do not go near them!!

Sharfted Groundhog
27th Dec 2002, 23:45
Personally, I'd choose another career! The aviation scene is changing slightly now, but your've missed the boat and wouldn't have the experience on this cycle..... and the industry is pretty crappy overall down in this part of the world. With as many pilots still out of work worldwide as there is now, it's not the best of environments for any kind of stability.

Apart from that, I'd agree with NZer. Employment is not conditional on a university qualification and plenty of pilots with no education are still being employed. It's more your general attitude and experience - or who your father is, that will get you the job.

Best of luck!

flyby_kiwi
28th Dec 2002, 04:46
Is it true that Massey's Palmy operation has/is closing down?

Groundsman Willy
30th Dec 2002, 01:30
Hey UK-Kiwi

Have a read though my recent posting NZ Training

pretty much covers your choices, but to add to it, Simuflight is OK if you have keen help from the guys at the club which at Wakatipu here there's plenty to assist.

Also I started my training in an uncontrolled aerodrome and when I moved to ZQN my radio work was shocking. Cost is not a factor because it's cheaper here than it was at uncontrolled Ardmore.

Furthermore it's quite cool lining up behind the 737 on finals.

Jobs - the big schools promise you instructor work, but no guarantees, and how long do you want to be an instructor for. Don't know how old you are but she's a long road instructing with the schools to your next big break.

The right attitude, meeting people and being in the right place at the right time with the right experience.

DONT LISTEN TO TOO MUCH NEGATIVE TALK, it's been there for a very long time and always will be, if its what you want go for it. You need to have a positive attitude in this industry even when things look stacked against you.

PPRUNE is a prime place to become depressed, use it in small doses for specifics.

All the best

GW :D

UK-Kiwi
30th Dec 2002, 09:25
Thanks guys,

nzer,
I keep coming across bad comments about Massey but no real reasons why, any particular points? I'm not considering them so the question is just out of curiosity.

Sharfted Groundhog,
I hear what you are saying but then all industries cycle don't they. I've been hit by ups and downs in the IT industry as well.
I also keep hearing/reading comments about it all coming down to who you are, ie age doesn't matter, experience is still important but not the be all and end all? I'm also the sort of person happy to move around to pick up the work, is this common in NZ?
University qualifications were not something I had been thinking about, is there much demand by employers, is there a trend towards it. I've tertiary qualification in other fields so if it's just proof of the ability to learn that employers want??... I've got a track record of non-aviation.

Groundsman Willy,
Thanks, I did read your training post but only afterwards when I went deeper into the forum, typical!
I replied to you via email asking more questions specifically about Queenstown, didn't use PM so I don't know if you've got it yet.
I'm planning on touring around NZ in a month or two (hopefully find out from the boss today) with my girlfriend, and will use the opportunity to look in on a few schools around the country.
Would you mind passing on your contact details? It would be great to be able to talk to somebody with the recent experience you've had.

Thanks

Sharfted Groundhog
30th Dec 2002, 22:31
If you are happy to move around the world to pick up work, then your in a better shape than most...... the ability to move about is a huge bonus and will help you - especially in the early days when you have only a few hours and need someone to give you a break. If you have a UK passport, you will also find your job alot easier.
As for tertiary education, if you already have a degree, then that's great. I think employers are just wanting to see if you have the staying power to get things finished, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be in aviation. Some employers actually prefer to have people with track records in other industries, as it gives them life experience which can sometimes come in handy - especially when dealing with grumpy fare-paying passengers! :D

Just give it a bash if it's what you want to do. Find somewhere that suits your learning style and stick with it. As other posts have already said, everywhere is different and everyone enjoys specific things about certain places (which can be hated by the next person). Just remember to enjoy yourself, I think that's the best advice anyone can give you. If you have another industry you can fall back onto if it all turns to custard, then you have a backup plan - which is more than alot of youngsters getting into aviation have!

Talk to the CFI's and just sit and watch and talk to a few student's around the place - that'll give you the best feel for the atmosphere in the establishment. If you like it; stay. If you don't; keep trying!

Good luck!

Groundsman Willy
1st Jan 2003, 08:23
Yup good advice from Sharfted Groundhog, I did my PPL at one of the Ardmore flying schools and still got good instructors because I had the chance to suss them out doing all the theory courses first. The good ones are always busy.

I chose the ones that I got on with, had good experience, and could give me the best training possible. You don't want somebody who's too easy on you, but also you don't want one who bites your head off or loses patience with you every time you fly.

Cheers to them actually - JT, SL & AH

I haven't recieved your email UK-Kiwi but by all means get in touch, I'll send a PM.

GW

big buddah
1st Jan 2003, 21:19
Mr Willy, do you fly JMS?

Groundsman Willy
2nd Jan 2003, 09:15
Hey Big Buddah

JMS not yet but working on it :D :D

I take it you know the fair girl in question.

GW

masseygrad
5th Jan 2003, 08:02
flyby_kiwi, no.

UK-kiwi, find out as much as you can about your choice in the interim. There are a lot of variables. QN a nice place for sure. You might find the weather nicer up North somewhere, e.g. Tauranga (I would recommend the aero club there incidentally).

Do you want to fly in this part of the world or return North to convert to a UK CPL?