PDA

View Full Version : Yak 52 time wanted in NZ

Southern Cross
27th Dec 2002, 17:38
I am an expat Kiwi based in London flying Yak 52's and 50's out of North Weald in Essex. I am going to be home in NZ for a month starting Feb 11th, mostly in the Auckland / BOP area.

Was wondering whether any Auckland based Yak 52 owner might be willing to hire me their aeroplane for about 5 hours flight time (including a BFR after a check out by the owner)? Happy to be suitably generous regarding "cost-sharing"...:D

I have around 250 hours on the 52 and 50 - owned a 52 for 3 years and now own a 50, which I fly as part of the Aerostars 7 ship aerobatic formation team - check out www.aerostars.co.uk I hold a UK CAA display authorisation for both solo and formation displays

Possibly a big ask, but if any owner might be interested or at least willing, I can reciprocate should they be in this part of the world (and weatehr permits...ha ha). Please e-mail me on [email protected]

I am very keen to take my nearest and dearest relatives for some gentle aeros, and so far they are not dissuaded from the thought...

Cheers

Southern Cross
1st Jan 2003, 19:52
Back to the top of the forum...:D :D :D

Sqwark2000
1st Jan 2003, 21:10
Sth Cross,

Don't know anyone myself with a Yak for hire but there are 2 or 3 examples on the Dairy Flat Airfield on the North Shore of Auckland I think. They could be a mix of Yak/Nangching's but there is a Yak following at Dairy Flat.

try contacting sopmeone through the North Shore Aero Club, they have a website which I'm not sure of but at a guess it's www.nsac.co.nz.

Sir Kenneth Hare's (RIP) Yak52 was based there but not sure of it's location since his untimely death.

Waitemata Aero Club, now merged with Auckland Aero Club at Ardmore used to have a Nangching on line for hire which was reasonably busy, not sure of it's whereabouts now though.

There is also about 3 machines at Omaka in Marlborough.

Another option to find these machines is to search the CAA database of aircraft types and find out who the registered owners are with their addresses etc...

www.caa.govt.nz, follow the links to "aircraft" then "aircraft model statistics" scroll down to the Yak

Just had a look myself and there are 8 registered examples of Yak52 in NZ with two registered to Auckland addresses and another in Pauanui (Coromandel) including ZK-KGB (Sir K Hare's machine) to Garth Hogan who is a warbirds enthusiast who displays the P-40 Kittyhawk and a Polykarpov (?) i think at Warbirds Airshows, he might be your best bet.

Hope you find one, they look lke a bit of fun....

S2K

Borneo Wild Man
5th Jan 2003, 00:00
Contact Stan or Gilly Smith via North Shore Aero Club.
Free Phone NZ 0800 426 4273,they can also put you on to Garth Hogan who will probably help you out as well.
Have seen you guys fly, pretty cool!

Southern Cross
5th Jan 2003, 20:58
Thanks very much for the suggestions - hopefully I can track down someone that is not too unwilling...

Oh, and thanks BWM - nice to see that we are not totally unknown...:D