PDA

View Full Version : Can't Scandisk

overwing
27th Dec 2002, 09:12
I get a message "Scandisk has restarted 10 times because windows or another program is writing to this drive. Please close ....etc." To my knowledge nothing else is running but the hard disk is giving a short rattle every 15 sec. This also slows the screansaver when running. Ta in advance.

Splat
27th Dec 2002, 09:41
First thing to turn off is the screen saver.

Good luck.

S

ratsarrse
27th Dec 2002, 09:46
Check to see if your Anti Virus software is running (may have a little icon next to the clock). It tends to sit in the background and take a look at what's going on on your hard drive, so disable it while running scandisk.

BOAC
27th Dec 2002, 10:02
I'm SURE this has been well covered on this forum before (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=), but the biggest hint is to do it in 'Safe' mode.

timmcat
27th Dec 2002, 19:46
Use CTL / ALT / DEL (ie pressing delete whilst holding the other two keys down) to see what tasks are running. In all but XP, the only ones required are Systray and Explorer. Disable all others in turn, turn off your screensaver and try again. (A program known to create this sort of activity is called Ptsnoop, utilised by some modems).

Tim

cossack
30th Dec 2002, 09:41
I used CTRL-ATL-DEL to shut down everything except Explorer (W98SE) and started Scandisk.
Then when I got the warning that says "Scandisk has restarted 10 times because windows or another program is writing to this drive... Do you want to keep receiving this warning" or words similar, clicked "No".
Scandisk restarted and finished OK.

overwing
30th Dec 2002, 17:08
Thanks guys, Could not locate the problem after hours of trying. Tried all u guys said. However I fixed the problem by buying a rewriteable CD drive. (Bit OTT) Loaded all my doc's etc.. and then full base recovery and reinstall. Runs fine now. Thanks again.