View Full Version : applying after university

chris_starlo35
17th Aug 2001, 02:20
Hi, couple of questions...

1: I have very good GCSE and A-LEVEL education behind me and am aobut to embark on a good university course. Will it do any damage to my application chances if I apply after my degree?

2: I currently wear contact lenses and will this make any real difference to my application as rules are being laxed? Is laser eye surgery an option and do you have to tell the airline you've had it - can they tell?

Many thanks........Chris

chris_starlo35
19th Aug 2001, 20:37
hi, surely some of you must know given the number of experienced ppruners on the site.

thanks

Monkey See Monkey Do
19th Aug 2001, 20:47
Hi Chris,

Firstly, I have done a degree after recieving good GCSE and A-Level results. The advantages of completing a degree are twofold. Firstly you can say to BA or whoever that you have the ability to complete complex training/learning schedule. And Secondly you can use your degree as a backup later on, if you find out that you are unable to be a pilot.
I tried to apply to BA while at university and they said i couldn't untill I had graduated (although some of my friends were able to apply before graduation, I dont know how!). It won't ruin your chances, I'm pretty sure of that. And anyway you can turn up at the selection centre a much more mature person, which can only be an advantage!

Doing a degree is immense fun and will prepare you for life in general. I have to urge you to get a degree, if not just for the laughs and great memories. If you can hack the acedemic side, you'll love it.

And to answer your last question. I only know that wearing contacts/glasses does not necessarily stop you from becoming a pilot. Although you will need to talk to someone who is in the know about these things.

Anyways,
hope that helps

Anyone else got advice?

Ez

[ 19 August 2001: Message edited by: Ez ]

scroggs
20th Aug 2001, 00:52
There's no reason why waiting until you have gained your degree should harm your chances; in fact, it would be a demonstration of determination and 'stickability' (as the RAF used to call it) which would stand you in good stead. Not to mention providing an all-important qualification should aviation not work out. Of course, there's also nothing to stop you applying for sponsorships while you're at University.
As for eyesight, see this thread: Flying and Wearing Glasses (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=010556).

[ 19 August 2001: Message edited by: scroggs ]

chris_starlo35
20th Aug 2001, 02:00
many thanks for the above insight, it is much appreciated

eeper
20th Aug 2001, 21:11
Go to Uni!!! You will have a degree to fall back on, you will become a more rounded person (hopefully) and you will get stupidly drunk a great deal. It's all of the perks of being an adult with none of the responsibility.

Seriously though there are great many benefits to going off to uni. You will have the chance to join the University Air Squadron or a university gliding club which will give you a definite advantage at selection. You will also have a chance to try many new things and develop interests and skills beyond flying which BA rate very highly.

I fly with a lot of captains who joined BA straight out of school and many of them have expressed a regret that they did not go to uni.

A note of caution: The one thing you do lose by going to uni is time. There is always the chance that the pilot job market will have slowed down by the time you graduate. It might be worth talking to a careers advisor about this, although even if there are no jobs when you graduate you still have that degree to fall back on.

BmPilot21
21st Aug 2001, 00:50
Go to Uni. if that's what you want to do. it's great fun, and you will be much more ready for a very challenging CPL sponsorship course having (hopefully) learnt how to study at a high level.

JOIN THE UAS if you possibly can. Makes a big difference to your chances, fantastic standard of flying training (the best in the world) plus a great laugh.

Why not apply for sponsorship while at Uni. If you get in, you can leave uni. if not carry on and each time you apply you'll be better prepared / qualified. Don't mean to be pessimistic, but few people get sponsored first time, it often takes several goes with several airlines before you finally crack it. Start applying at Uni. and get experience of the selection process, and get your foot in the door.

Also, there's more than just BA - bmi, Airtours, Aer Lingus, Air2K, Jersey all sponsor.

I wear contact lenses / glasses and fly so it shouldn't be a problem.
HOWEVER - GET YOUR CLASS ONE MEDICALNOW.
1. Once you have an initial issue, your eye-sight / health can deteriorate to a level unacceptable for an initial issue Class 1, but you will still be able to keep your class 1. eg) The standards for renewal are lower than initial issue.

2. There is no point setting your heart on becoming a pilot if you can't get a class one.

3. It shows a big commitment to an Airline that you are serious about becoming a pilot.

4. DON'T have laser surgery without talking to the CAA first. I think you may have to spend a year without flying at least - mind you this might be your only opportunity to do it before you start flying. Yes, they can (easily) tell.

Best of luck, the decision is down to you - do what you think best. No doubt there is a down turn ahead and in three years there may be much fewer sponsorship places which is why I would apply whilst at Uni.