PDA

View Full Version : A job in Fiji

forum newbie
24th Dec 2002, 19:09
Anyone of you know how difficult it is to get a job in Fiji as a US commercial pilot with a FAA license>

flyby_kiwi
26th Dec 2002, 00:26
From what Ive seen (and I may be wrong) is that an Aussie licence would probably help you out more. As far as expats to Fiji go alot seem to be Australians.

I think the likes of air Fiji have highish times for an expat approx. 3000tt tho like every where else I imagine it just depends on things at the time.

From what people who have been there/done that have said it is a really nice place to fly, and having been there as a tourist I dont doubt them.

Warhawk
26th Dec 2002, 02:25
Summarise as thus:

Great scenery (A few choice tourists as well!!)
OZ, NZ & UK licences preferred
CAA Fiji (known as CAAFI) can tell you more - their office is in Nadi
Pay is crap, maintenance often not much better.....
Lifestyle is cruzy
Going more for locals as DHC6 FO's rather than direct entry CPTs
Mins for expat CPTs are usually 2-3000 hrs +trubine (PT6) time
Big hours (800-1000 pa is std)
Most expats are Ozzies or Kiwis with a few Cannucks on floats
Types are - BN2, DHC6, EMB110, EMB120, Y12 (yuk!)

A great start off job if you can get it, have many friends now in QF, CX & Air NZ who went the Fiji way to build hours....

Adios :p

marshall
26th Dec 2002, 05:42
What about flight instructors?

Are there work possibilities for grade 3's?

Any information would be great!

QF.man
27th Dec 2002, 01:47
Sun Air (one of the local airlines), who run BN2, DHC6, SD330 and BE65 type aircraft also operate the local flying school. From what I remember the instructors also logged huge hours (800-900 hours/year).

The instructors were always aussie guys because the aussie syllabus is taught in Fiji (they sit oz flight crew exams in fiji). It was always considered a good stepping stone for low time instructors to build quick hours and then eventually progress over to the airline side and fly the BN2's.

The school used to operate two C172's and a C152. Multi was completed on the BN2. Not sure what the setup is these days, but I would assume that not much would have changed given the way things happen in fiji!

marshall
27th Dec 2002, 02:48
Great info QF man!

Do you know how one applies? What are the minimum requirements etc…

Any info would be great!

drshmoo
29th Dec 2002, 04:47
:) I believe that if you have a float endorsement and some time turtle looks favourably on expats. Islander endorsement and 1000 hours at the right time can be handy. I lived in Fiji for 3 to 4 years while my dad was flyin bandits for air pac and there is some solid build up IMC conditions. But he says its very enjoyable, the most enjoyable flying of his career. If your heading to Fiji be prepared to be looked over for relatively unqualified locals. Bestaluck
Drshmoo

Warhawk
29th Dec 2002, 21:04
Just so as not to discourage our feathered sheep shagging friends!

It is not a purely Oz based syllabus in Fiji. The NZ subjects are also accepted. Most of the Navaids, DAP's and AIP work is Kiwi based. Fiji has traditionally been an NZ administered place (pre independence). There has just been a kind of "Ozzie wave" lately!

The recent Oz slant is possibly because of a somewhat parochial Oz CFI running (still?) the Sun Air School and the last 2 CAAFI dir Flt Safety / FOI's have been Ozzies.

Air Fiji used to have a flying school also, but I think it went U/S in late 2001. As for Sun Air's Shorts 330's - they disappeared after the last coup. Last I heard they had 3 DHC6's and 5 BN2's, plus 1 old B65 Queenaire. There were rumours however, that Don was looking at a Dash 8........

PS - not many instructors at Sun Air's school ever got the RPT work from the airline, in case thats what you're hoping for.......

Adios amigos

;)

QF.man
30th Dec 2002, 01:33
Thanks to this thread, it has made me get in contact with some of my old buddies in Fiji and see how things are going... and things have changed a lot since I left.

Warhawk, yes you are correct - the SD330's were lost after the coup. As for the Dash8, it was actually on its ferry flight to Nadi when the coup was happening, and likewise never eventuated.

Currently they are operating 2 Twin Otters (the third one to return shortly) and 3 Islanders. The old QueenAir (note this is a 400HP Excalibur version!) is just about back in operation after numerous engine/gear problems.

As for the flying school, the "parochial" oz CFI was booted out late this year, and from what I gather, the getting rid of this guy has been the best thing for the flying school. The school operates 2 C172's and a C152; staff include 3 instructors who are still pumping a lot of hours.

In the past, before the parochial oz CFI took the chair (3 years ago), it was very common for the instructors to get into the RPT as long as they waited (and there was quite a few who have now gone onto jet airlines). It was to my disappointment, that I find out that this oz CFI stopped this from happening when he took the CFI spot, so one can only hope now that he's had the flick, that the old tradition will continue.

So it seems I was wrong in assuming not much would have changed in Fiji... seems like quite a bit has actually changed! Will also be interesting to see the movements when FJ get the 2 B744's.

Torres
30th Dec 2002, 20:27
"As for the flying school, the "parochial" oz CFI was booted out late this year, and from what I gather, the getting rid of this guy has been the best thing for the flying school."

OF Man: Perchance a Dude with riding boots and a John Wayne belt buckle? :D