PDA

View Full Version : 737 OPS into CTAF AIRPORTS

WALLEY
24th Dec 2002, 09:00
737 RPT OPS into CTAF AIRPORTS

Australia is reviewing its airspace system.

This includes placing some remote but busy airports into E class airspace.

These airports currently are covered by Mandatory air/air & air/ground comms callss 30nm out for RPT,IFR and VFR traffic. The busiest uncontrolled regional airports also have an air/ground advisory service that advises on traffic like your FSS+LAA I think.

I am concerned over the safety of the CTAF system to handle these large volume mixed use regional a/p. The implementing committee is not coming clean on USA airports that are similar to these Australian regional a/ps.

These airports handle:
250,000 to 500,000 pax movements p/a
upto 4 RPT a/c in the 30nm MBZ at once
Aircraft upto 737 800s
Many light a/c movements upto 6 in the MBZ

I cant believe such airports can be hanled by a 10nm CTAF.

Could anyone advise me on the air traffic into USA's busiest uncontrolled airports in E class airspace.

I would also love info on airports with a FSS/LAA in operation,I have tried to get a list from the FAA site and failed.

[B]Please help an aussie in distress merry Xmas

weasil
24th Dec 2002, 17:45
In the USA there are thousands of uncontrolled fields with IFR arrivals. This includes many fields with RPT Jet traffic. The system is only as good as the people using it. It works fine, they would not implement a system that was proven to be unsafe, and we wouldn't use one here if it was.

The reason for having the airports as CLass E airspace is to restrict VFR traffic movements during periods of low visibility and/or low ceilings. The approach controller separates arrivals and departures (often having a smaller aircraft wait while a jet shoots an approach and waiting for the Jet to report cancellation of IFR).

What you need is to get a copy of the airport/facility directory for the area you are interested in.. these are available from sportys.

WALLEY
25th Dec 2002, 13:40
Weasil

thanks,
In aussie they are looking at implementing the system where there is no vis problems and no LAA which is the main concern.
VFR and IFR including RPT would have the same prioity I say "they" being a committee headed by an ex CASA (FAA) chairman who has a political self driven agenda and is at odds with many of the current CASA staff and in particular the RPT Captains.
I'll follow your advise and then try and get info from the listed a/ps.
Could you advise if some of these airports with 737 also have no LAA I'd really appreciate a name of one particular and hopefully busy a/p
again thx and Merry xmas